LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Advice on selecting new snowblower

This is my first post here, it looks like a very useful site. I currently have a 47" two stage snow blower on the front of my John Deere 425 tractor. It is very much overkill for my requirements (two car driveway) but I was all about overkill when I bought it.

My wife wants to be able to take care of the snow but isn't comfortable using the tractor, so I'm looking for a walk behind. Specifically, my local hardware store currently has some deals going on to clear out some of their inventory for the end of the season. I'm looking at a couple of Simplicity units, the H1528E and M1227E. The "H" is considered a heavy duty model and the "M" medium duty. For the most part I don't really need the extra features of the "H" model, but one difference between the two that does concern me is the auger gear case. The "H" has a cast iron gear case while the "M" has an aluminum gear case. Does the idea of an aluminum gear case concern you guys? I'm sure it's lighter weight, but I'm a bit concerned about reliability.

In the interest of opening a can of worms, I'll also throw out there that I'm not set on the Simplicity lineup and would consider another brand, especially Toro, if someone felt that was a better option. I definitely want a two stage unit as I live in Wisconsin and the plow regularly buries the end of our driveway with wet, heavy snow. Steering and handling capabilities are going to be a major factor so my wife can use it, but beyond that I'm not too hung up on other features.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 11:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
My experience with snow or in fact any machine is this.....the aluminum case in itself is fine. Most transmissions on cars,trucks and atvs are aluminum it's what's inside that counts. BUT......most blowers with aluminum cases are of cheaper design. If the auger case is cheapened you can almost bet the rest follows. Most cheaper units use bushings instead of bearings on their drive. The drive disc is smaller and cheaper wearing out sooner. Single belts opposed to dual and for a period of time more expensive Tecumseh motors had overhead valves and cheaper not. The pro Simplicity is worth every penny. Nothing worse than pulling a dead snow thrower back to your garage or dealer during a heavy snow storm.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Quote:
Originally Posted by munzzzzzzz View Post
This is my first post here, it looks like a very useful site. I currently have a 47" two stage snow blower on the front of my John Deere 425 tractor. It is very much overkill for my requirements (two car driveway) but I was all about overkill when I bought it.

My wife wants to be able to take care of the snow but isn't comfortable using the tractor, so I'm looking for a walk behind. Specifically, my local hardware store currently has some deals going on to clear out some of their inventory for the end of the season. I'm looking at a couple of Simplicity units, the H1528E and M1227E. The "H" is considered a heavy duty model and the "M" medium duty. For the most part I don't really need the extra features of the "H" model, but one difference between the two that does concern me is the auger gear case. The "H" has a cast iron gear case while the "M" has an aluminum gear case. Does the idea of an aluminum gear case concern you guys? I'm sure it's lighter weight, but I'm a bit concerned about reliability.

In the interest of opening a can of worms, I'll also throw out there that I'm not set on the Simplicity lineup and would consider another brand, especially Toro, if someone felt that was a better option. I definitely want a two stage unit as I live in Wisconsin and the plow regularly buries the end of our driveway with wet, heavy snow. Steering and handling capabilities are going to be a major factor so my wife can use it, but beyond that I'm not too hung up on other features.

Thanks in advance!
ALOHA to the forms. I would look at the toro line up they have the features you want. all gear cases are aluminunmm these days. the gears in side are steel and bronze. the only thing with toro is the bucket size they only go to 28 inch these days. they use to have a 32 inch. toro has briggs engines. along with their own engine. I do not know if simplicity has the steering thing anyway. the toro does I know that. any way that is my 2 cents on it. in the end it comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend.:eek :

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 12:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
I`d also lean towards the more heavy duty model.. but for a different reasonning.. you say the prime user would be your wife.. itl take bigger bites and not choke on them

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #5 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 4
If your wife is using it I would consider models with electric start and auto-turn to make it easy for her.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the help. I went in to the dealer this afternoon, and after talking to him, am actually considering moving up to the professional series (either the P1524E [24"] or P1728E [28"]). These aren't overkill from a size standpoint but might be from a durability standpoint. Also, they're probably going to be heavier. For an average size driveway, should I stick with something smaller, or is it worth spending the extra money?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
One more complication... the dealer doesn't have all of the units in stock and of course won't be getting the rest in again until fall. Current options are either the 27" 'medium duty' model, the 30" 'heavy duty', or the 24" 'pro' model. I guess the pro model has a heavier duty (c channel) handle, heavier duty bearings, etc. It's also a couple hundred dollars more. Do I go for the wider width, the greater durability, or do I just forego the discount and wait until fall when they'd have them all in stock?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 7
I vote for 24" pro. I've had 24" Ariens deluxe for 10 years on a steep hill drive that's 160' long with double wide turn around at top. I'm guessing pro will do well with EOD (end of drive) and 24" would be somewhat easier to maneuver.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 52
If you're considering a Toro, look at the top 3 models in the OXE line: 926OXE, 1028OXE and 1128OXE. They are 26" and 28" models (last 2 digits in the model is the width). All of these models have a trigger for each wheel for steering. When the blower isn't running, you can squeeze both triggers and push easily and turn in circles. I have this technology on an old Craftsman and I love it. I'm considering purchasing a new Toro for this feature. I had ordered an Ariens Deluxe 28 but heard bad reports with the auto-turn technology and cancelled the order.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-20-2014, 09:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO Snow View Post
If you're considering a Toro, look at the top 3 models in the OXE line: 926OXE, 1028OXE and 1128OXE. They are 26" and 28" models (last 2 digits in the model is the width). All of these models have a trigger for each wheel for steering. When the blower isn't running, you can squeeze both triggers and push easily and turn in circles. I have this technology on an old Craftsman and I love it. I'm considering purchasing a new Toro for this feature. I had ordered an Ariens Deluxe 28 but heard bad reports with the auto-turn technology and cancelled the order.
I have a Toro 826 OE without the power steering, and I can tell you for a fact there is no way my wife could turn this machine. If that is a huge factor for you, making sure your wife can handle the machine, then I would say you need power steering (or whatever each brand's equivalent of that function is called).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page