LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
45in cut thaughts...

soo yes.. I searched and couldn`t find anything close to my questions..

I mean.. it is a large frame machines (`MTD` 45in. pick one..) cuz well.. we kinda are in the market for a house.. and many in this neck of the woods (the sticks) have loong drives.. first thing we do when we hear of a house for sale i our bracket is count the phone poles going to it.. more than 3.. let it be! I learned the hard way after renting a duplex that was 1200feet from the road with a 33in cut machine..

si this got me thinking.. the biggest problem I have is the EOD.. the snow is almost always very icy by the time i get to snowblowing (kids.. you know) si WHEN it tops the bucket.. the first pass is always a struggle.. golly.. with 45inches to push thru.. ok 2 extra tires.. but 45inches!?! though for just clearing th drive itself.. must speed thing up beautifully!

and before you say it.. most of the long drives are thru a field of hay.. which could be sold for feed (farms are in the sticks you know) so alot of property could be left alone for others to harvest and stick with a push mower and an hour and a half or so which is fine by me since it can be done at a more liesurely time.. a tractor would be kinda overkill

there is one guy around hear at least who has a 45in cub cadet.. he baught it a couple years ago and his drive`s always one of the first to get done.. almost like he`s eager to use it lol

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 01:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I didn't know they were even made that big, wow.

What size engine, what hp? One thing I would do is compare inches of cutting width per hp, for different machines. As you said, it could be fast for smaller storms, things that are easier to throw. But it would likely choke somewhat on big EOD, unless it's a monster engine, or you go really slowly.

Having 45", but needing to slow down to 2 mph (just making up #'s) might not be all that much better than a 24" machine that can go 4 mph in the same (presumably deep) snow. Assuming that the 45" runs out of power, or throwing ability.

Got a link to the machine? Without a differential or something to help with turning, I'd imagine it would be a handful to maneuver.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
No single machine can do everything. Some try. Get the 45 if you think it's going to be a life changer, but consider a riding tractor with a mower deck and a front mounted blower. Even with a riding tractor, you will still need a small walk behind for trimming and steep grades.
That 45 will be lousy around the house. You will end up with something smaller for close in work and possibly dealing with your EOD.
There is a cost factor, too. A good 24 will be a more versatile machine, although it will require more passes to clear the same area. I have a 27". It's a brute to maneuver and I am looking for something smaller for close in work.
Good luck. You have a lot on your plate.
post #4 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I just came in from cleaning out my driveway. We got another 5 inches overnight, and the winds kicked up. That translated into a lot of snow blowing around.
Our driveway is 300 yards long, and the half closest to the road is open to the west, where the winds usually come from. We invested in a small tractor, a New Holland TC30, with 30 horsepower diesel and hydrostatic four wheel drive. Next came a 63 inch wide New Holland 716D front mounted snow blower, and with a total snowfall this winter of 160 inches, boy am I glad I have that. I wasn't quite so happy when the prop shaft to the blower broke, and we were snowed in for three days, but that is behind us now. The bucket on the blower is two feet high, and on the west side of the driveway the snow was a good bit higher than the bucket in some places this morning.
The PTO horsepower rating is 24, so there is only 0.38 horsepower per inch of blower width, not much more than my Ariens ST824 at 0.33, and yes, that means the going gets very, very slow at times. Glad I have infinite speed adjustment with the hydrostatic drive!
Besides the snow blower, tractors are good for front end loaders, rototillers, back hoes, e.t.c., and if you buy acreage out in the sticks, all that stuff comes in handy! You know SWMBO will want a decent vegetable plot. ;-)
f.w.i.w.
Roar
post #5 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 01:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Pythons37 and I wrote at the same time. His point about a smaller and easily maneuverable unit for narrow walks and close to buildings is very valid. That is why I am trying to get my ST824 back in service.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	407.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	14329  
post #6 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
That's a beautiful property, Roar.

-Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #7 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 6
I agree with the others and these are my main thrower and my trimmer. Both survived this years WI winter. Roger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	14337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	14345   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0230.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	14353   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0232.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	14361  
post #8 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 20
Have any of you with the large properties tried installing a temporary snow fence upwind of your drive. They used to do that here extensively & it does work. You also have to remember to always blow your snow onto the downwind side of your drive. (unless of course, you need justification for that 45" monster)
post #9 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 10:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks, Ken! It was a bank owned foreclosure. 20 acres and we got it for a song, that means a price we could afford.
GtWtNorth (great white north?), yes I have had that thought many times this winter, especially when it wasn't snowing, but the wind blown snow filled up my driveway a couple of times in a day more than once. I need a pretty tall one though, or a couple of them. They just don't look very nice and a hassle to put up and take down.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-20-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
GtWtNorth.. around here you would need a fence at least 5 feet above ground.. and figure itl only work till snow goes over and then your back to square one.. granted if it saves you half the winter.. it`s a step in the right direction.. place I ued to rent well.. the owner woldnt based on sheer cost (I came up with 4 digit figure for a snow fence in materials alone..)

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page