LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Who here has done a total rebuild?

My 1989 Mtd still ran but was getting tired. I decided to put in the Predator 212 when I saw the reviews and the price. Next well it was apart might as well change the belts,bushings and friction disc. Got paint and new Xtrak tires will be in Monday. My question is when does it end? I've already lined up a sweet 8 horse Ariens for $100 from a lady who's husband just passed away and am planning to rebuild this one too. This is turning into a fun hobby.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
What do you call a total rebuild?

Speaking for the machine...I have had Gilsons all the way down to the weldment and put them back together with repairs and fresh parts as needed. Then you need to decide if you are stripping/sandblasting, repainting and even doing decals. If this is going to be a working machine you are wasting your time at some point. Of course if this is what you love doing so be it.

As for the engines, unless abused **** usually freezes over before the piston/bore needs anything. Valves need clearance restored with a good head lean-up, ignition needs service or upgrade to SS and the fuel system wants to be refreshed with fresh hose, filter and maybe a rebuild kit if it's not happy.

Unless someone really knows what they are doing the short block is best left intact.

Pete
post #3 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
My 1989 Mtd still ran but was getting tired. I decided to put in the Predator 212 when I saw the reviews and the price. Next well it was apart might as well change the belts,bushings and friction disc. Got paint and new Xtrak tires will be in Monday. My question is when does it end? I've already lined up a sweet 8 horse Ariens for $100 from a lady who's husband just passed away and am planning to rebuild this one too. This is turning into a fun hobby.
I have done TWO OF THEM...: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
What do you call a total rebuild?

Speaking for the machine...I have had Gilsons all the way down to the weldment and put them back together with repairs and fresh parts as needed. Then you need to decide if you are stripping/sandblasting, repainting and even doing decals. If this is going to be a working machine you are wasting your time at some point. Of course if this is what you love doing so be it.

As for the engines, unless abused **** usually freezes over before the piston/bore needs anything. Valves need clearance restored with a good head lean-up, ignition needs service or upgrade to SS and the fuel system wants to be refreshed with fresh hose, filter and maybe a rebuild kit if it's not happy.

Unless someone really knows what they are doing the short block is best left intact.

Pete
Naw I mean rebuild it to the point of having a tired machine like mine and getting it cleaned up running and looking good. I did usual maintenance but after 20 some odd years it needed refreshing.
post #5 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I have done 2 major rebuilds. One on a Craftsman and one on a Toro. Of course these were the heavy duty machines with the thick metal. I wouldn't invest my time repainting and doing a total repair on the cheap end machines that are made today. I can tell you its a fun experience if you like fixing things for sure. Plus after its all said and done you know exactly how the machine ticks so if you have a future problem you know how to to take it apart and repair it easier.

3 Ariens 522 Single Stage
Toro 3521 Repowered with a 6.5hp
Craftsman 521 (selling)

other toys
Troybuilt Horse 70s or 80s model
Troybuilt Econo-horse
John Deere Jx75
John Deere Js46
John Deere 111

and a few other parts machines.
post #6 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 4
Have you had your 1989 Mtd since new? Does it have sentimental value? If it does, then it is worth the effort. I know I wouldn't hesitate restoring my low end 1997 MTD when the time comes. It was my first machine and it certainly has sentimental value.

-Ken

2011 John Deere 1330se

post #7 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Total rebuilds on older machines are only worth it if you plan on keeping the machine and passing it on in your will when you're gone. Same thing for restorations, which are even more labor intensive. Clean and tune and touch-up paint only, for machines that will be sold. MH
post #8 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 04:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
This is about the level of restoration I reccomend to turn a tired old machine into a solid runner.
Mechanical restoration of my 1973 Ariens snowblower. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Just make sure bushings, belt, friction wheel, skid pads, scraper bar, gear box and impeller shaft bearing are good or replace as needed. If you can get your machine to a point where this is all properly functioning then it's worth a repower. If you have major deficiencies like a bad gearbox you might want to look for another machine to refurbish.

Most people are going to do whatever they want. What I find entertaining is how people justify what they do.
post #9 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestminsterFJR View Post
Have you had your 1989 Mtd since new? Does it have sentimental value? If it does, then it is worth the effort. I know I wouldn't hesitate restoring my low end 1997 MTD when the time comes. It was my first machine and it certainly has sentimental value.
Yes I'm the original owner. Sentimental no. But it's never been in the shop. I love messing with stuff and know exactly when somethings not right and how to fix it. This old MTD is pretty basic. It did four driveways for the past 20 some odd years so it deserves a facelift. All in all it's been a great machine. In all that time if memory serves me correctly about the only problem I've encountered was a drive belt and the heat shield that vibrated loose.
post #10 of 17 Old 03-21-2014, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scipper77 View Post
This is about the level of restoration I reccomend to turn a tired old machine into a solid runner.
Mechanical restoration of my 1973 Ariens snowblower. - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

Just make sure bushings, belt, friction wheel, skid pads, scraper bar, gear box and impeller shaft bearing are good or replace as needed. If you can get your machine to a point where this is all properly functioning then it's worth a repower. If you have major deficiencies like a bad gearbox you might want to look for another machine to refurbish.
Your thread is the reason why I decided to do a rebuild of mine plus sticker shock on a new one. So I thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page