Locations of stations with Ethanol-free gas - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-28-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 37
Locations of stations with Ethanol-free gas

Interesting website, list of all known gas stations that sell Ethanol-free gasoline in the US & the provences. Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Something else I've been thinking about. Ethanol can do a number on the metal parts of a fuel system. Nothing new there. But I was reading tthat it can also hurt rubber parts like fuel lines and gaskets.

This normally isn't a problem for new engines that have alcohol-resistant rubber parts; but what about the older products, those built before gas had Ethanol in it? Those parts may not have been designed for contact to Ethanol. Could the Ethanol be slowly destroying those parts? (Assuming that one did not use a stabilizer). Thoughts? ...Dennis

2014 Ariens 24" Platinum
2010 Yard Machines 600 Series, 24" w/179cc MTD engine
Toro CCR 3650 GTS
Troy Bilt 521OR w/Tecu HSSK50 engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 07:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
(The nearest station to me on the Puregas list is a 100-mile round trip )

Plan B:

post #3 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
Enigma--my guess is you are correct. I can tell you 100% for sure that Ethanol has damaged my 1976 Mercury Outboard motor for fishing and a 1990 Mercury Outboard on my boat. I have replaced the fuel lines several times because it eats through them, replaced gaskets and the list goes on. I use that Marine Stabil at each fill up now and it helps a lot (the picture the person posted prior to this post). Now my boat does not get used as much as a car though, so gas sits for at least 6-7 months in winter (especially this winter).

I found the same site you did a few weeks ago and found one station near Detroit that sells Ethanol free (sadly only one station). I am going to purchase some for my leaf blower which calls for 89+Octane. This particular station sells 90 Octane Ethanol Free.

I am debating using this same 90 Ethanol Free in my Honda HR 215 (from the early 90's) and my new Honda HS 724 Snowblower coming this fall. I don't mind a few extra dollars on good gas I am just not sure the higher Octane is good for these engines and need some investigating. Robert at Honda who posts on this site though I should be fine on my lawn mower and probably just wasting money though instead of 87.

At the moment, I am probably overkill with ethanol due to historic snowblower issues and boat issues. With my yard equipment, I Stabil (red stabil) usually 1 gallon of gas at a time and only keep it for about one month or so and then dump it in my car and buy fresh stuff. In the snow blower however, I don't always use it much so draining the gas back into can from the unit is a huge pain the butt.

There are some products I also found (True Fuel) available at Lowes which is 92 Octane Ethanol free gas; apparently at Ace as well. They sell it just fuel or mixed with oil at various rates. The bad part is the cost about $6-7 per quart (so about $28/gallon).

Sorry to go on and on but I hate Ethanol after all my issues. Apparently there was some legislation from Feinstein in Washington to get this stuff out of our gas but I am not sure how far it will will get. You can google it if you're interested from back in Dec or Jan.

Ethanol I know at least in Michigan for sure is a huge problem particularly with boats and all us guys that like to fish. Unfortunately, all us guys that like to fish and have 30 gallon boat tanks get the issues big time and its not exactly easy to drain 30 gallons of fuel. Therefore we just have fish more and use our boats more frequently I guess
post #4 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
thanks enigma 2 for the website. closes places are Indiana and they are 45 miles for me. both towns have rural king farm stores there so it would be a trip worth while.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
(The nearest station to me on the Puregas list is a 100-mile round trip )

Plan B:

That is exactly what I use. Sometimes in conjunction with Starbrite's StarTron. I put it in the gas can before I fill it up. I know they sell those ethanol free gas cans, but at $10 a quart, it isnít cost effective.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
enigma you are twice correct, ethanol is not friendly to rubber parts. cars and trucks that are e85 compatable have a steel gas tank and fuel lines

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Thumbs up

MAHALO!!!!!! for posting that info. :c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 16 Old 03-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
The new fuel lines you get from an auto parts store should be ethanol hardened. In their description they say E85 approved. Changing out the fuel line should be a first thing right next to oil change when you pick up a used blower. Maybe adding a fuel shut off and fuel filter would be good too.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 04-01-2014 at 12:55 AM.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
In my 4 strokes I have been good with marine or the new Ethanol Small Engine Sta-Bil products as long as I drain them dry for the off season.

For my 2 strokes I bit the bullet and went to True Fuel. It's not cheap but the machines are so happy and that makes me happy!

I'm not aware of any local ethanol free fuels.

Pete
post #10 of 16 Old 03-30-2014, 04:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 0
With you being concerned about the Ethanol damage
This is what you'll want.
4 oz. - Treats up to 10 gallons

Or this.
http://www.sta-bil360.com/

Regretably, the only E-Free fuels in my area are being provided via 91 Octane which causes problems because of the high octane rating at this high of an altitude. The small engines such as in blowers and mowers run very poor with high octane.

Last edited by Ryan; 03-30-2014 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page