post #1 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
GMH

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
What type of paint for snowblower?

I could get this Bob-Cat powder coated, but that is expensive and chevy orange is the closest I can get colorwise. I can get 2part DTM paint for $100. a gallon tinted as I want. Tremclad brush or roll-on, which would be limited colors, or spraybombs, also limited colors. I am leaning towards the DTM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 54
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
I could get this Bob-Cat powder coated, but that is expensive and chevy orange is the closest I can get colorwise. I can get 2part DTM paint for $100. a gallon tinted as I want. Tremclad brush or roll-on, which would be limited colors, or spraybombs, also limited colors. I am leaning towards the DTM.
You want to spend that much just to paint it?
I would go for the Chevy orange.

For those saying what Bob Cat?
Here, https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...urrection.html

How come you just didn't keep this question with the BOB-CAT resurrection thread?

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #3 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 12:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
look at POR-15 website they have hard nose paint. a quart is $70.00. they have it in orange for you.:coo l:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
GMH

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Received): 41
I was given a ballpark figure of $250 for the chevy orange PC. That did include sandblasting it though, which I would like to do anyway. I'll have to go and get a firm price on the PC and sandblasting on monday.
I have some leftover gray DTM from another project I could use. I'm just not sure how the would look besides unique.

Last edited by GMH; 03-29-2014 at 12:31 PM.
post #5 of 15 Old 03-29-2014, 05:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
I use the Chevy Orange a lot. It goes a long way, dries quickly, and spreads nicely...has an adjustable do dad on the spray valve for vertical and horizontal spray patterns. I also use Rustoleum Lobster Red spray cans. Same color as Chevy Orange, but takes a looooong time to dry. If it's not in a dust free environment, you'll pick up surface crap from the air. Have painted many many blowers and an Ariens GT tractor with good results. MH
post #6 of 15 Old 03-30-2014, 12:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
I have had good results with Rustoleum bombs. It's at least as good an an OEM finish. Painting now, ahead of the next working season to allow a full cure is a HUGE advantage.

My favorite is the line of Dupolicolor "ceramic" engine finishes.

Pete
post #7 of 15 Old 03-31-2014, 07:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Received): 7
POR is pretty popular with auto restoration guys - can be applied over rust (intended to be), flows pretty well and produces a really resilient surface. In the past it did not offer UV protection so for surfaces exposed to light you needed to topcoat with something. Do not get this stuff on your skin. I would not powder coat - looks great until starts to peal and then you have a real mess on your hands. Personally I would media blast ... shoot with urethane primer and then a 2 part epoxy topcoat (any color you want).

Kindest
Kevin
Honda HS 1132

post #8 of 15 Old 03-31-2014, 09:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Received): 66
I have used rustoleum oil based paint in the quart can and either thinned with paint thinner or acetone depending on the outside temperature. a quart is less than 10 dollars and if you have a compressor and a cheap harbor freight paint gun you can do a great job if you take your time. Painting in the spring is best as oil paint will cure over time and the longer it cures the harder it gets. you would be surprised how well the summer sun will bake and cure that paint. I painted my Cub Cadet 3 years ago and used for three years and no chips yet except on the augers.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-31-2014, 09:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
As Carl says.
If you have an air compressor...
Rustoleum oil based paint with cheap Harbor Freight HVLP gun.
Just add a bit of this hardner.

post #10 of 15 Old 03-31-2014, 12:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Very interesting and educational thread, thanks.

My machine could definitely use a paint job. If I was smart, this is also probably the time to do it. But I don't relish the idea of taking the engine off the tractor half, etc. I do have the bucket apart at the moment.

I may hold off and put my first complete season on the machine, before deciding how far I want to go with paint. What I really should do is just put *some* sort of rust treatment on the exposed areas, I suppose. It is garaged now, so hopefully that will slow the rust a bit (I think the previous owner had it outside).

But I just bought a compressor, and hadn't even considered that I could now use something besides spray cans. Buying liquid paint, and an inexpensive paint gun, hadn't occurred to me. Thank you for mentioning that as an option.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page