End of season (???) Deluxe 30" review. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Thumbs up End of season (???) Deluxe 30" review.

First, thanks to all the folks that helped when I discovered the features of my new Arien's 30" Deluxe. There was much weeping and gnashing of teeth.

So, here I am, middle of MN and we just got another foot of global warming Thursday night. Even though it's all going to be gone in 24 hours or so it still needs to be cleared. The Deluxe has zero issues with that snow, NICE.

I picked up the Deluxe in January and initially had to work through some things like the Auto-Turn, slippery handles and a locking auger handle. After about a dozen uses or so I'm hoping I'm done with it until December - we'll see.

What I like:

30" cutting path; the driveway and path to the animals is done QUICK!

The power. So far no snow has been able to defeat the power of this thing no matter how wet it is.

E A S Y starts; do it right and it's one pull and away you go. Just like my Arien's tiller.

Bright Orange color!

Deep tire treads.

That new snow-blower smell!

Auto-turn (sort of, very, very little).

What I don't like:

Auto-turn. Not really ready for prime-time. It's fine if you're just going back and forth but if you have any snow ruts, uneven surface or anything other than a pristine surface it tends to fight me and want to pull the thrower in the direction of the surface anomaly. Last few snows it's actually making the job tougher.

Greased ice, cheap a$$, no grip, worthless, could have done FAR better handle grips. What a joke.

Auto-turn. Did I mention that?

The 'light'. Yeah, it casts light but for a $1300 machine why not just replace the bulb with a good bright LED and aim the thing OUT of the operator's eyes. Just 5 minutes of thought on the drafting table could have made this soooo much better.

Not that I hate it like the Auto-turn but a joystick or some other type of control would have been nice to change chute direction. Oh well.

Dinky skids. Oh well. Armor Skids will square that away.

The auger lock. I liked it for about 30 seconds and then removed the locking parts. Now I'M IN CONTROL of the machine and not the other way around. 75% stupid idea.

Overall, despite the gripe list, I'm mostly happy with it. It's great to know I have a tool that will do the job that's needed without having to wrestle with it too much. I would recommend it to others with no problem.

I'd like to get new skids on it, better lights and maybe hand warmer grips. Either way, it needs better grips.

Hopefully I won't need it again anytime soon and in a few weeks can put it to bed for the Summer.

Have a great Summer everyone!

2014 Ariens 921032 (Deluxe 30")
291cc
Anti-Auger Lock Mod applied
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

Eventually.....LED fog light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Good review, thanks!

Too bad the grips are iffy. There must be a manageable way to improve them. Either replacing them, or maybe putting something with more grip over them?

Maybe the LED light thread could help with a different light option.

With the auger lock, do you mean the feature where once you've squeezed both handles, you can release the auger handle so you can turn the chute? Must be personal preference I'm used to it on my MTD and my older Ariens, I had to do some work on my newer Ariens to fix its interlock, which wasn't working. Personally I like the fact that I can keep clearing while I swing the chute around.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #3 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 0
LEDs are for sissies. Give me good old halogen lighting any day! I really do love the 5 year old Deluxe 30 I use as well.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 10:23 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
MN TIM,

It is like we were separated at birth, haha. I have the same machine with the same thoughts and also worked my machine in the same snow fall Friday morning, wet heavy 8" and no issues with power/performance.

Hand grips - I had the stealer install heated grips as part of closing the deal, so I never had any experience with the stock grips. I have no issues with the heated grips.

Autoturn - same issues, I did a youtube video review and made comment on that.

I installed armor skids - did seam to help, but depending on what you do, I.E. trying to cut a new path to a shed halfway thru winter, you will get a ride up effect.

Headlight glare - I did get from Ariens a anti glare sticker that helped. They sent me two. I just put the second one in my tool cart. If you want it, I can mail it to ya,,,,,

LED's - Personally, I don't think LED's are for sissy's but that is Ryan's opinion, and he is entitled to that. I installed LED's a month back, HUGE difference. Check out the last couple pages of the LED thread for my results and mounting method's.

I'm always looking for a good day ride on the motorcycle, so depending on where in central MN you are, I could ride out and give ya a hand with the LED's. Just tossing it out there.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
Tim, nice write-up. Thanks for posting!
post #6 of 8 Old 04-06-2014, 10:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
LEDs are for sissies. Give me good old halogen lighting any day! I really do love the 5 year old Deluxe 30 I use as well.
Cell phones are for sissies, give me a good old pay phone any day! Now excuse me while I spend the rest of my evening with my favorite stereoscope pictures and listen to records on my phonograph.

Snowblowers I own.
Honda HS928
Honda HS621
post #7 of 8 Old 04-07-2014, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
cell phones are for sissies, give me a good old pay phone any day! Now excuse me while i spend the rest of my evening with my favorite stereoscope pictures and listen to records on my phonograph.
ha!!! :d

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

post #8 of 8 Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftoff1967 View Post
MN TIM,

It is like we were separated at birth, haha. I have the same machine with the same thoughts and also worked my machine in the same snow fall Friday morning, wet heavy 8" and no issues with power/performance.

Hand grips - I had the stealer install heated grips as part of closing the deal, so I never had any experience with the stock grips. I have no issues with the heated grips.

Autoturn - same issues, I did a youtube video review and made comment on that.

I installed armor skids - did seam to help, but depending on what you do, I.E. trying to cut a new path to a shed halfway thru winter, you will get a ride up effect.

Headlight glare - I did get from Ariens a anti glare sticker that helped. They sent me two. I just put the second one in my tool cart. If you want it, I can mail it to ya,,,,,

LED's - Personally, I don't think LED's are for sissy's but that is Ryan's opinion, and he is entitled to that. I installed LED's a month back, HUGE difference. Check out the last couple pages of the LED thread for my results and mounting method's.

I'm always looking for a good day ride on the motorcycle, so depending on where in central MN you are, I could ride out and give ya a hand with the LED's. Just tossing it out there.
Thanks - I'll have to call Arien's and see about that sticker.

I'm still out on the hand grips. It's usually pretty cold here (as you know) so I'm not out in thin gloves and I don't know if the heat would ever make it through the thicker gloves.

291cc
DOT reflective tape
ArmorSkids (soon)
Upgraded grips (soon)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page