LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 04-29-2014, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Used could be a bad idea

So, I bought a used Troy-Bilt 42000 5 HP 21".

For 75 dollars and perfect running as stated in Craig-list. I thought it wasn't too bad, just before I went to pick it up, the man called me and said it wouldn't move but still starts, so he lower the price to 50 bucks. What the ****, can't be that hard to fix so I picked it up for 50 bucks.

Low and behold, it needed both cables $110, both bearing flanges $45, mangled Control levers, part is obsolete not available to buy, 2 hours labor to straighten them out.

With the time spent I could have gone to work make the money and buy me a new one.
Nevertheless, will I do it again? I don't know...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 245
Likes (Received): 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blownaway View Post
Low and behold, it needed both cables $110, both bearing flanges $45, mangled Control levers, part is obsolete not available to buy, 2 hours labor to straighten them out.

BTDT with a TORO 38185 I bought on the side of the road for $100. Looked like it was in great condition, but $200 later, and it still wasn't running right. I elected to cut my losses

Welcome aboard, Blown !!
post #3 of 29 Old 04-29-2014, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
My $50 buck Estate was like that. Owner was concerned that he added fresh gas to it for me and warned me it kept breaking the blower belt.

He didn't warm me the axle had broken and "someone" drilled the stub and wheel to pin it on to just enough axle to make it work but wobble. Didn't tell me the other wheel was seized on the shaft. Didn't tell me the reason the belt kept breaking was the impeller housing to mounting tab welds were cracked badly.

He seemed so much like Mister Rogers being concerned about putting in fresh gas and handed me a folder with the original manual in it. Thought I got a deal but luckily I can weld and I've sourced a lot of the parts cheap and made my own axle or this wouldn't be going back together. I'm learning you really need to check out anything including the really cheap ones as you might be getting much less than what you expected.

If I keep buying and fixing up I'm going to get to the point where I'll know when to just say no thanks as it's not what I expected and keep my money in my pocket for the next one if, IF it checks out. Better to cut your losses and eat the gas $$ spent going to see one rather than buying it and finding out you need to totally rebuild it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 29 Old 04-29-2014, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
PHP Code:
He seemed so much like Mister Rogers being concerned about putting in fresh gas and handed me a folder with the original manual in it
Gotta love people..

PHP Code:
BTDT with a TORO 38185 I bought on the side of the road for $100. Looked like it was in great conditionbut $200 later, and it still wasn't running right. I elected to cut my losses 

Welcome aboard, Blown !! 
Send it to me and I will spend some more money and time for you. I really hear ya, sometime you just have to know when to stop.

And thank you for the welcome..
post #5 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Hi Blownaway,
Welcome to the forum. Most of us have had a similar experience with one or more of the "bargains" we buy. It's inevitable. It usually ends up being a learning experience with the parts amounting to "tuition and books." If you end up with a good running piece of equipment, there is the personal satisfaction of knowing that you fixed it. The challenge of renewing old equipment is part of the attraction to a lot of us. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #6 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead64 View Post
Hi Blownaway,
Welcome to the forum. Most of us have had a similar experience with one or more of the "bargains" we buy. It's inevitable. It usually ends up being a learning experience with the parts amounting to "tuition and books." If you end up with a good running piece of equipment, there is the personal satisfaction of knowing that you fixed it. The challenge of renewing old equipment is part of the attraction to a lot of us. MH
Thank you Motorhead64,

You're correct on the personal satisfaction.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 152
Likes (Received): 806
Your problem wasnt buying used..it was buying a used Troy-Bilt!
Troy-Bilt is one of the lowest quality, least reliable brand names out there..

Sure, used can be bad..but you can increase your odds of buying a good used machine by sticking to the reliable brands..
Ariens, Toro, Honda..and the newer Briggs names.
IMO, do *not* buy a used MTD..ever..this includes Troy Bilt.

Names I would *never* buy, new or used, include:
Troy Bilt
Cub Cadet
MTD
Craftsman
Yard Machines
Yardman

and any of the Chinese names:
Echelon
Huskee
Mansfield
Powerland
powRcraft
Snow Beast
Snow Joe
Stanley
World Lawn

Some of those names, such as Cub Cadet, can be good used machines, but only for much older models..a 40 year old Cub Cadet is a much better machine than a 5 year old one..but you need to know who made the machine, and when. For many of those names, newer is worse than older..(For the 100% Chinese ones, they are just flat-out junk even when brand new..)

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 03:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1247
ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
HTML Code:
Your problem wasnt buying used..it was buying a used Troy-Bilt! 
Troy-Bilt is one of the lowest quality, least reliable brand names out there..
Thanks for the list. I couldn't agree more!

I like old stuffs but now I'm diesel guy and Kubota is my favorite brand.
post #10 of 29 Old 04-30-2014, 07:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I bought two used machines this past winter both of them were simplicitys that ran and had no issues. I spent $550 for both machines which I believe I could get 600 for just the one. Its about buying quality old iron as scotsman said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page