LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 536.909900

I'm a sucker for older well built equipment. I have a ten year old toro pusher and pound for pound it's a workhorse and it's been good no complaints whatsoever But i'm getting older, don't have the strength i used to have, plus my 200 ft gravel driveway is not all level grade; you get the idea. This last winter we had here on the outskirts of Peoria IL a couple 14-15 inch snows and i actually had the plow guy at $50 a pop. Now these guys are notoriusly unreliaable unless you're on their regular list. And then when they do show up they'll plow half your white rock into your yard The little woman doesn't like haveing to shovel and rake this back onto the driveway but what the heck, it was her idea to call this yahoo. My thinking is God put it there and God will eventually make it melt. But you must realize how fruitless it is to argue with old dolls in their fifties. so this is how i came to cruise on craig's list (dangerous) and i came upon Craftsman 536.909.900 Impressive looking beastie This thing looks good; minimal rust, headlights, upper crust crushing cutter, bar 32" cut, starts right up but barely runs, engine sounds good tho. She the widow wouldnt come down on the advertised price of $300. so i gave to her cash but i did get her minion to deliver it to my place about 15 mi. since my pick-up is . in the shop.so i gave her $300 she was a widow, her husband, 90 just moved into the home, she needs the money and god forbid i'm not complaining at all.about the deal. **** if it works it works. More later on 536.909.900 a venerable machine, my hand is getting tired but i need advice on a part for this old horse..... mack from peoria IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 03:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 202
Likes (Received): 287
Hi Mack
A 32 inch Drift Buster must be a real beast.
$300 seems like a large chunk of cash.

i have a smaller 26 inch Drift Buster. I'm not sure how similar they are. There are other Drift Buster owners here also.
I'm crossing my fingers someone here can help you out.

Edit: I think Kiss4aFrog has a 32 inch version. He'll be along to offer some good advice I'm sure.

Last edited by dbert; 05-10-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Welcome to the forum, tolona. You paid top dollar for that 3 stage blower. Hope it works out for you. Some parts on the blower itself may be hard to come by as they haven't made a driftbreaker in many years. The engine shouldn't be any problem. Lots of Tecs still out there. Good luck with her. I've always liked those machines. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #4 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
Welcome to the forum. When you have some questions post them over on the Craftsman section. Craftsman Snowblowers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
I have two 32" driftbreakers that I'm overhauling and yes some parts can be difficult or impossible to find and modification or fabrication is sometimes necessary. There are a few guys on here with the driftbreakers and it's always helpful to toss a question out there and see what comes back. The basic machine isn't any different than a two stage it's just the chain drive and drift bar parts that are extra.
You should post some pictures of it. That and add your location (Peroia IL) in your profile and the machine details in your "signature". That way you don't need to post that info each time you ask a question nor does someone trying to help have to ask

You should check the chains to make sure they aren't starting to seize, all three. That the wheels will come off the axles and that the augers are free on the shafts that drives them. With the 14" impeller your monster has it does toss a lot of snow. I would recommend also doing the impeller modification to increase it's ability to throw wet snow.
https://www.google.com/#q=impeller+m...ion+snowblower

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 536.909.900 32 " continued

So when i got the carb cleaned out so the tecumseh 10 horse would get up to speed and engaged the snow moving parts bad vibration was apparent. This is when i got down on all fours and actually took a good look at the impeller which was surprise all bent and mangled up. WTH? I would like to know what this now 90 yr. old dude ran into; a small boulder? a steel fencepost? this impeller plate is heavy duty plate steel close to .125" Of the four impeller blades also plate steel even heavier and riveted to the plate and backed up by heavy struts. Of the four blades only one remains with it's strut and seeming undamaged. The three damaged bladed are bent and their struts are sheared off and gone the only thing remaining are their bases still riveted to the impeller plate. Whoa Nellie, this has got to come off which i see is no small job. They do not make these Yukon grade machines any more and probably never will again. I know i probably paid too much for it but it's mine now I'll fix it with your patient advice.... more later
post #6 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the nice thing about these is they have an actual transmission, not a friction disk
post #7 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I do think they made them both ways. There was a guy working on one and he had a friction disc. I was talking geared transmission and he didn't understand what the heck I was talking about

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-11-2014 at 08:13 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
realy, ithought they all came with the peerless tranny. i guess i was wrong
post #9 of 22 Old 05-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 55
Garage
Probably a good sized rock?
Maybe you can take her off and fix it with some heat and a hammer and welding?

How come you started a new thread instead of just continuing the old one?

I hate shoveling SNOW!

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #10 of 22 Old 05-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
More than happy to help you, but for other people needing help and searching you should be a little more descriptive with your topic so it can be searched. That and the model is a 536.909900 , that second period can mess up a search.
Do you have or have you found a manual you can use in the dis-assembly ??
Is it a 14" impeller ?? There is a sticker on the top of the housing.

Would really like to "see" the impeller if you get a chance to post photo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page