LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Bolens or Arien?

Hello, i want to buy a old snow blower for 50$ and have the choice of a 10hp bolens with light electric start tht stoped working last winter and. An older Arien series 10000 that start but is older and need new paint.

I dont find a lot of info about this red Bolens but it look like it have more featur and bigger engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 522
Thanks (Received): 690
Likes (Given): 3912
Likes (Received): 1505
Garage
Welcome to the forum. From what I've come across in researching parts I think you'd have an easier time and more support from other owners if you went with the Ariens.

I haven't researched Bolens so I can't say if it's a real Bolens or if someone made them for them but they are much more rare so if something important failed it would likely be more of a struggle to find a replacement if you even could.

With this be your only snow blower ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes it will be my first snow blower for my new home! I saw the website dedicated to this serie of arien and they must be good !
Old 05-25-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
here are some pictures maybe you can give me more infor about them!

Old 05-25-2014, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
I'd grab both.

That Bolens looks to be in nice shape BUT ... it's going to be your only machine (at least for now). The Ariens is a nice stout machine and a lot of us would be climbing over you to get it but for you ... maybe something newer that has better parts availability.
If that Ariens is $50 bucks buy it, buy it NOW. You can always sell it and not lose a penny. Once you have the Ariens safely at home you can start to go over it and post questions but I'd still keep an eye open for something newer.

How handy are you ?? That's going to make a huge difference if the Bolens or Ariens are a good buy as far as keeping and serving you. If you're handy and have some skills and tools that Ariens is a tank. If you're not that handy I'd still recommend buying it today but maybe cleaning it up and reselling and using that money to get something newer. Kind of a snow blower "ladder". I think some of "us" here actually look for the oldest ones we can find but we have something else we use for a daily snow blower. If you're only going to have one you either need to rebuild the old dog so it's reliable or go for something newer of most likely less quality but easier to find and faster to get replacement parts should something crap out in the first 5' of a 20" snowfall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-25-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
then i will get the arien tomorrow and have a look at it but it run and maybe is just old!
Old 05-25-2014, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
There are two ID's for the snow blower and one for the engine.
The one in the picture is for the auger housing but there should be another at the back of the transmission housing.
If you're curious you need to search "Trak-team". This blower is convertible into a couple different machines if you have the attachments. Hard to find, expensive usually if you do but it's kind of cool.

Here is a wealth of into including how to look up the model numbers and years. The Ariens 1960's and 1970's Sno-Thro info site.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1244
ALOHA to the forms..: cool: if I had 2 pick between the two. I would go with the BOLENS.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Can you give me more info about it? Is it made by mtd or its older ?
Old 05-25-2014, 07:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1244
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0cess0r View Post
Can you give me more info about it? Is it made by mtd or its older ?
that one might have been still made by FMC. MTD has killed of the BOLENS line pretty much. SAM'S BOLENS.COM has parts for them. the engine on both those machines are tecumsapart.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in