LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 2
Snowtek vs Ariens ??

I'm researching my first snowblower. And I think I've basically settled on Ariens due since it seems to have one of the better reliability records. I'll actually go try some in a couple months when they show up at stores.

I'm basically looking at 20" - 24" 2 stage gas snowblowers. I'm in Northern VA so we get a big snowfall once every few years. We got about 14" or so this past winter.

But I saw that Ariens makes a lower end line called Snowtek. Can anyone comment on the reliability of the Snowtek line? I see that the Snowtek also has smaller engines. Will the engines on the snowtek be powerful enough for the occasional 12" snowfall?

Thanks!

Joo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
hello jchung, welcome to SBF!! if the snowtek's haven't changed i would stay away from the 20" model. they say it has one speed foward and one reverse, it can make for some slow going

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
ALOHA to the forms..: cool::co ol:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
The Sno-Tek line has been out for 5 years now, no one seems to be complaining about them..they seem to be perfectly reliable machines.

I agree about keeping away from the single-speed..Not because its a Sno-Tek, but because it likely be underpowered for most peoples needs..

which reminds me..we have no idea what your needs are!
The number one most important factor in choosing a snowblower is..where you live.
What your winters and snowfall amounts are like..
so let us know where you live! (just a city and state is fine) and we can help fine-tune things to suggest, and avoid, from there..

Scot

post #5 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchung View Post
I'm in Northern VA so we get a big snowfall once every few years. We got about 14" or so this past winter.
Will the engines on the snowtek be powerful enough for the occasional 12" snowfall?
Scot, I don't think those tri-focals are getting it done !!

But what kind of driveway, sidewalk, gravel, cement, double wide, mile long ...

Welcome to the forum !!

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #6 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Scot, I don't think those tri-focals are getting it done !!

But what kind of driveway, sidewalk, gravel, cement, double wide, mile long ...

Welcome to the forum !!
'doh! I totally missed it!
good catch..

Joo,
oh yeah, a smaller Sno-Tek is more than a match for your snowfalls..when it comes to snowblowers, you are basically in single-stage territory, any 2-stage is probably overkill for your needs..but if you do get the occasional 12" snowfall, then you might want a small 2-stage then..Its better to go slightly larger, and be prepared for your largest potential snowfalls, then go too small and not have the snowblowing power when you need it the most!

The 24" Sno-Tek is plenty for your environment..even a bit too much probably. even the single-speed is probably fine. although personally I would go one step up and get the Sno-Tek 24..

You should also consider a quality single-stage however..like a larger Toro single stage..A single stage is really better suited to your environment than is a 2-stage..2-stage machines dont handle smaller 1" to 3" wet slushy snowfalls as well as single-stage machines do..

I would get either the 24" Sno-Tek, or a larger Toro single-stage..
either will be great for you..

Scot

post #7 of 31 Old 06-18-2014, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Yup, been there, done that and I'm still missing stuff in threads

jchung - What Scot said, "I would get either the 24" Sno-Tek, or a larger Toro single-stage".

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 31 Old 06-19-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
All,

Thanks for the info!

I was going to ask about minimum snow requirements for using the 2 stage vs the 1 stage gas snow blowers as well.

If its only 1" - 3" of snow, I'll most likely just shovel it instead of breaking out the snow blower.

Some more info about my needs...

I'm going to use it mostly just on my driveway. Its about 3 cars wide and about 6 cars long. So I would guess about 20' x 75'. If its reasonably light snow... I can shovel it in about 30 minutes to an hour. Heavy snow and I'm out there all day long. So I'd mostly use the snow blower only when its about 4" or more probably.

My concern with a single stage snow blower is whether it would be able to handle the snow I got this past winter and the double blizzard I was hit with in early 2010 (they called it Snowmageddon here in the DC area).

Thanks!

Joo
post #9 of 31 Old 06-19-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just some more info... Snowmageddon dumped about 32" of snow in my area according to NOAA. But that was split between two back to back storms that hit in the same week. So maybe up to 20" with one storm, although thats rare.
post #10 of 31 Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Welcome, and if you have the time to go out and attack the snow fall in stages, rather than post event, then a single stage should suffice. The obvious advantage that most two stage machines has, is their ability to process more material at a faster pace. So, if time is not a concern, or if it is then I hope it helps. Just remember, that there is point of diminishing returns with regards to size.

I would also take into consideration the amount of space needed for storage of your machine.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page