Help with Snowblower purchase - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Willington, CT
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help with Snowblower purchase

All-

Closing on a new house this week and already thinking about how I need to pick up a snowblower within the next month -- I do NOT want to put off the purchase and find myself scrambling to buy something with snow on the way.

House is about 30 minutes NE of Hartford, CT. Annual average snowfall is 41", though we have some winters with nothing, and sometimes get absolutely hammered (like this past winter) with storms of up to two feet at a time. Driveway is newly paved (nice and even) and roughly 160' long by 20' wide. It's a bit wider in some places so the gross square footage of area would actually be a bit higher.

I've been searching CL and finding a lot of used junk. I realize that with say ~3500 sq ft the bigger the machine the better, so I'd really like to be above 24" cut, and would really prefer something around 28" or more. My Dad suggested Ariens, as he had one previously that was purchased used that lasted ~20 years.

From an Ariens standpoint the entire deluxe line is do-able from a price standpoint, but the 24" and 28" Deluxe are priced at $999 through our local Agway store (haven't checked elsewhere yet) and the Deluxe + 28" model is $1199 and Deluxe 30" is $1299. I'd rather be under $1k, but if there's a huge difference in quality with the beefier engine I could swing the 28" deluxe +.

I'm also open to other suggestions in terms of brands.

Thoughts?
Joejr14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 02:38 AM
Senior Member
 
db9938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 3,178
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 292
Well, you are headed in the right direction with size. Have you considered expanding your CL search to the surrounding areas?

Sometimes a little travel can yield a better result.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
db9938 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Senior Member
 
uberT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston suburbs
Posts: 1,453
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 98
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 140
Joe, welcome aboard! I agree with the Ariens decision. I've been watching Craiglist all summer for used Ariens machines and there have been many. (I'm in the suburban Boston area.) I think you could spend $500 - $700 and get something very new/lightly used.

OTOH, if you wish to go new, I "mail ordered" two different Ariens, actually three, this past year. Two units came from a place near Syracuse...they deliver it right to the house, no sales tax, free delivery and offer the same pricing as HD, for example. The third unit came from Speedway, IIRC, they're somewhere in the Midwest. From a convenience viewpoint, this arrangement really could not be much easier as I have no ability to transport one of the machines. If you do have the ability to trailer a machine, there are some aggressive Ariens dealers in s NH (no sales tax, too).

Happy hunting!

2014 Ariens 21" Path Pro 938030
2015 Ariens 24" SHO 921038 | poly skids
uberT is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Long Island
Posts: 121
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
If you are considering an 28 Deluxe, then you may want to consider the Ariens (921036 )Deluxe 28 that has a 342cc briggs on it. Do a search on the number 921036. Believe it or not, they are sometime cheaper than the standard Deluxe 28. Only problem is you may have to have it shipped.

You can also search this site.
SnowGuy69 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Willington, CT
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberT View Post
Joe, welcome aboard! I agree with the Ariens decision. I've been watching Craiglist all summer for used Ariens machines and there have been many. (I'm in the suburban Boston area.) I think you could spend $500 - $700 and get something very new/lightly used.

OTOH, if you wish to go new, I "mail ordered" two different Ariens, actually three, this past year. Two units came from a place near Syracuse...they deliver it right to the house, no sales tax, free delivery and offer the same pricing as HD, for example. The third unit came from Speedway, IIRC, they're somewhere in the Midwest. From a convenience viewpoint, this arrangement really could not be much easier as I have no ability to transport one of the machines. If you do have the ability to trailer a machine, there are some aggressive Ariens dealers in s NH (no sales tax, too).

Happy hunting!
Thanks for the advice. I've been looking on CL around the Hartford area, but have searched the whole state with minimal luck.

One of the few decent things I've found is this: Snow blower 32 inch

Everything else locally is either too small, too old, or too expensive. I don't see much of a point in paying $850 for a machine that's 5 years old when I can get a new one for $999.

There are some better options out of state, but depending on how far away the savings might not really be worth it.
Joejr14 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Willington, CT
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowGuy69 View Post
If you are considering an 28 Deluxe, then you may want to consider the Ariens (921036 )Deluxe 28 that has a 342cc briggs on it. Do a search on the number 921036. Believe it or not, they are sometime cheaper than the standard Deluxe 28. Only problem is you may have to have it shipped.

You can also search this site.
Checked that out online and looks like those are going for $1300ish on the few websites I was able to find.
Joejr14 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 05:53 PM
Moderator
 
Shryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,159
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
When checking craigslist be sure to check out this site as well:
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

I heard about it a long time ago and I have seen a couple other people on here mention it. It searches every craigslist within x miles of your zip code from 1 search.

If you don't mind working on them and doing a little fixing up you could pick up a couple old Ariens or Toro blowers. The really old ones work well and can be found dirt cheap, especially if they are not running. The Ariens blowers are fairly universal in that they used the same parts for many years. If you have the space for them I would say get 2 and then if one has problems you have a backup. Non running blowers can be found between free and $50 if you look around. The 2 most common issues you will run into would be the engine won't start or the front auger gearcase is bad.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 08-27-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Shryp is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 08-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
POWERSHIFT93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PARADISE CITY, MN
Posts: 9,340
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1244
ALOHA to the forms.. look for a 11-32 POWERSHIFT. that is one gnarly machine..:cool :: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
POWERSHIFT93 is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 03:07 AM
Senior Member
 
gibbs296's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Minneapolis suburb that is the sister city to Lomianki Poland
Posts: 950
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 137
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 1039
Likes (Received): 242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
When checking craigslist be sure to check out this site as well:
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

I heard about it a long time ago and I have seen a couple other people on here mention it. It searches every craigslist within x miles of your zip code from 1 search.

If you don't mind working on them and doing a little fixing up you could pick up a couple old Ariens or Toro blowers. The really old ones work well and can be found dirt cheap, especially if they are not running. The Ariens blowers are fairly universal in that they used the same parts for many years. If you have the space for them I would say get 2 and then if one has problems you have a backup. Non running blowers can be found between free and $50 if you look around. The 2 most common issues you will run into would be the engine won't start or the front auger gearcase is bad.
I have to agree. Unless you have a ton of disposable income why not buy an older machine or 2 in preparation for the snow you MIGHT get. It's always the magic question, how much machine do i need? I have to giggle at some people who post in their signatures how they have 2 or 3 2014 big machines and they live in an area that gets less snow than me. I guess some of us like to tie up our toy money in different ways than others. Good luck in your decision making.
gibbs296 is online now  
post #10 of 17 Old 08-28-2014, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Willington, CT
Posts: 12
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbs296 View Post
I have to agree. Unless you have a ton of disposable income why not buy an older machine or 2 in preparation for the snow you MIGHT get. It's always the magic question, how much machine do i need? I have to giggle at some people who post in their signatures how they have 2 or 3 2014 big machines and they live in an area that gets less snow than me. I guess some of us like to tie up our toy money in different ways than others. Good luck in your decision making.
Agree 100% -- I'm not $h*tt*ng money and would prefer to pay $400-$600 for a used machine as opposed to dropping $1k on a new one. My concern is finding something that's decent for that price--and something that's big enough.

With a driveway that's 160 feet long that'll take me between 8-10 passes it sure seems like cut size matters, so I don't want to just buy something that's 20" because it's cheap and spend 8 hours outside attempting to clear the driveway after what is becoming an annual 'freak' storm that drops 15" inches on us.

Thoughts on this? ****THIS IS A SNOWBLOWER*** ARIENS 8hp. 32 " CUT
Joejr14 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome