LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-31-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
help choosing a new blower

Hi, I'm looking for advice. I live in the hudson valley about 30 miles north of NYC. The last few winters are proving to be to much for my single stage ariens. forcast says 6" to 16" and we always get the 16". and with that my blower turns into the little engine that could. I did some homework and I'm looking at the Ariens deluxe 28, the 28+, or the Cubcadet 3X 28". The Ariens model numbers are 921030, and 921037, I dont know the Cubcadet's. I'm reading mixed reviews about the Ariens autoturn. My drive is a little more than 2 cars wide and like 10 deep. it has a sweeping turn to the road, so auto turn would be nice to make that arc but not if its going to hook left and right all the time. Is anyone familiar with Cubcadet"s power steering that uses triggers? Will it make arcing turns or does it just turn it around 180* and make another straight pass? How are they on hills my drive is not a skislope but it does bank down to the road. Also, as I am on a county road that gets plowed in all the time, which of these would be the best at handeling that 12" or more of heavy snow left by the plows. Any input would be welcome thanks in advance guys. John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
ALOHA to the forms.. my opinion stay away from those cub cadets. just get the other one without auto turn. if you are unsure about it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 03:49 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Smile

welcome -hobgolbin351 to the forum.........
I have the 2011 deluxe 28. This size would be perfect for your driveway,a strong motor plus a 2 stage 28 inch cut would make clearing out your driveway a snap and especially the buildup at the end of the driveway that the plow likes to deliver.lol If you can find an 2011 model it has the trigger on the left handle for the Autoturn so you decide when you want to do a 180..As you have read some folks like the new autoturn and
some have issues with it. Whatever Ariens you get try to get the heated grips as they work really well.Goodluck with your search.
Dave
post #4 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the input guy. Powershift, why thumbs down on the Cubcadet? Is the 3X stage too new to be reliable, or are Cubs in general just unreliable? One of the guys I work with swears by them. I grew up in the city. So I'm really new to all the power equipment that living up here requires. I know Ariens are pretty much the industry standard. But I thought the new technology might give the 3X a leg up. At least as far as getting through what the plow leaves in the front of my drive. Thats why as far as the Ariens go I'm leaning to the 28+ because it has the bigger engine. The added torque is always a help.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
I had an Ariens with the trigger to disengage the left wheel such as loneraider has referenced and I currently have a Ariens with auto turn.

If you can get to your driveway before anyone drives on it, the auto turn (with armor skids) will be a nice blower to manipulate on your dog leg.

If you are going to have to snow blow your driveway after someone has driven on it, then do as loneraider recommends and look for a couple year old ariens, as the auto turn will track as it wants too when you hit the tire tracks.

Reason I got ride of my other ariens is I wanted to adjust the pitch of the chute from the dash and not reach over the blower to do it manually.

As far at the cub cadet's, I have nothing to bring to the table there. Sorry.

Good luck with your decision, and welcome to the forum.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #6 of 6 Old 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobgoblin351 View Post
Thanks for the input guy. Powershift, why thumbs down on the Cubcadet? Is the 3X stage too new to be reliable, or are Cubs in general just unreliable? One of the guys I work with swears by them. I grew up in the city. So I'm really new to all the power equipment that living up here requires. I know Ariens are pretty much the industry standard. But I thought the new technology might give the 3X a leg up. At least as far as getting through what the plow leaves in the front of my drive. Thats why as far as the Ariens go I'm leaning to the 28+ because it has the bigger engine. The added torque is always a help.
In large part Cub Cadet, is known here, as one of the many labels under the MTD brand. And albeit, in their day, they were a respectfully built machine, that level of quality has waned.

Compare the metal of the bucket between the Ariens and the CC, and you see a difference. But, if you compare a 1980's machine to today's line-up, and in most cases you will also see a difference.

The "third" stage in the center, seems to some as a gimmick. And I might add, it would appear quite susceptible to damaging the auger transmission. This alone, would steer me away from the three stage machine.

Good luck with your decision.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page