Need help deciding on a new Ariens Snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 09-03-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 4
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need help deciding on a new Ariens Snowblower

TLDR: Should I get the Ariens Platinum 30, Professional 32, HydroPro 32 or HydroPro 36??

Hi - I'm pretty new to the forum... have been lurking for a few weeks to get as much of your wisdom as possible. I've narrowed down my search for a new snowblower to Ariens, but need guidance about which one to choose. So, I've decided to finally come out of the shadows and ask for your insight.

I currently have a 5 year old Toro Power Max 826LE. It's been a good machine, but I'd like something a bit more robust... and I want Auto-Turn because I'm tired of wrestling with the Toro fixed axle every time I need to turn around. I'd also like to spend less time cleaning the driveway. I'll just sell this machine on CL.

My driveway is approximately 3000 square feet... about 200 feet in total length. Part of the driveway curves. Half the driveway is a moderate slope.

I like the Ariens because they seem like a good value, I like the Auto-Turn and the heated grips. I started looking at the Platinum 30, but have decided to step up to the Pro. The more I've been looking, the HydroPro 32 seems like a neat machine that make cleaning the driveway less of a chore. My local dealer is selling the HydroPro 32 for $2999. However, I could step up to the HydroPro 36 for $3099.

So, here are my questions:
1) Is it worth it to get a HydroPro 36 instead of a 32 for $100 more? Is the 36 maneuverable or is it a beast to handle?

2) HydroPro transmission seems like a nice feature... to smoothly change speed and direction at whim. Is it worth it... or should I really just be looking at the Professional 32 without the fancy transmission?

3) Am I going way overboard and have I been sucked in by the slick marketing? Should I just stick with the original plan and get a Platinum 30?

Thanks for helping out!

Ryan
whereami is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 09-03-2014, 11:46 PM
Senior Member
 
superedge88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Stillwater, MN
Posts: 604
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereami View Post
TLDR: Should I get the Ariens Platinum 30, Professional 32, HydroPro 32 or HydroPro 36??

Hi - I'm pretty new to the forum... have been lurking for a few weeks to get as much of your wisdom as possible. I've narrowed down my search for a new snowblower to Ariens, but need guidance about which one to choose. So, I've decided to finally come out of the shadows and ask for your insight.

I currently have a 5 year old Toro Power Max 826LE. It's been a good machine, but I'd like something a bit more robust... and I want Auto-Turn because I'm tired of wrestling with the Toro fixed axle every time I need to turn around. I'd also like to spend less time cleaning the driveway. I'll just sell this machine on CL.

My driveway is approximately 3000 square feet... about 200 feet in total length. Part of the driveway curves. Half the driveway is a moderate slope.

I like the Ariens because they seem like a good value, I like the Auto-Turn and the heated grips. I started looking at the Platinum 30, but have decided to step up to the Pro. The more I've been looking, the HydroPro 32 seems like a neat machine that make cleaning the driveway less of a chore. My local dealer is selling the HydroPro 32 for $2999. However, I could step up to the HydroPro 36 for $3099.

So, here are my questions:
1) Is it worth it to get a HydroPro 36 instead of a 32 for $100 more? Is the 36 maneuverable or is it a beast to handle?

2) HydroPro transmission seems like a nice feature... to smoothly change speed and direction at whim. Is it worth it... or should I really just be looking at the Professional 32 without the fancy transmission?

3) Am I going way overboard and have I been sucked in by the slick marketing? Should I just stick with the original plan and get a Platinum 30?

Thanks for helping out!

Ryan
I don't own an ariens hydro, but I have a hydro Honda. I love the hydro, and would definitely recommend it to anybody. You'll cut down on time spent working because you don't have to stop every time you need to switch gears. Good luck in your decision!

Snowblowers I own.
Honda HS928
Honda HS621
superedge88 is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 AM
Senior Member
 
POWERSHIFT93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PARADISE CITY, MN
Posts: 9,155
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
ALOHA to the forms... :c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
POWERSHIFT93 is offline  
post #4 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 08:07 AM
Senior Member
 
loneraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: toronto GTA
Posts: 199
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 15
Smile

I don't own a hydro anything but I do own a deluxe 28 with the trigger-auto-turn, heated grips,meltbuddy,& led's. I bought this unit only slightly used and right now I have about a $ 1000.00 into it. Its a **** of a machine
and will tackle almost any major snowfall. With your driveway in mind you could get a deluxe 30 ,platinum 30,32. and be pretty happy & save yourself some coin.

ARIENS PLATINIUM ST30DLE

Ariens 921029 Platinum ST30DLE 30" 369cc Two-Stage Snow Blower
loneraider is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 01:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Kielbasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 609
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
Well it doesn't sound like money is an object for you and I am going to bet that space and storing one of these machines isn't a problem either. Why not just consider a 28" machine? A little smaller and easier to handle.
Kielbasa is online now  
post #6 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minnesnowta
Posts: 4
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the replies. My budget is around $3000. But if I spend only half that I'd be quite pleased. Yeah, I have the space for a 36 in machine. I currently have the 26 in Toro and want something bigger to clear the drive faster. Just seems to take too long now. This is why I was looking at the 30 - 36 in range. I like the idea of Honda but seems like the tracks are a real pain to maneuver in the 32 in. Plus no heated grips.

@Kielbasa - You mention I should get a 28 in machine. I'm wondering if 2 inches will really make much difference over my current 26 in?
whereami is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Member
 
cabinfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minne-snow-ta
Posts: 58
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
I don't own an ariens hydro, but I have a hydro Honda. I love the hydro, and would definitely recommend it to anybody. You'll cut down on time spent working because you don't have to stop every time you need to switch gears. Good luck in your decision!
If I was in the market for a hydro, I would've went Honda. I like the engine better than the China ones.
cabinfever is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 06:59 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.Michigan
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
If I was in the market for a hydro, I would've went Honda. I like the engine better than the China ones.
IMHO,China/Japan what is the real difference
coobie is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 09-04-2014, 07:43 PM
Member
 
cabinfever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Minne-snow-ta
Posts: 58
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by coobie View Post
IMHO,China/Japan what is the real difference
My positive experiences with two Honda mowers and a Honda generator vs lack of experience with engines from LCT. That's the difference.
cabinfever is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: S.Michigan
Posts: 17
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinfever View Post
My positive experiences with two Honda mowers and a Honda generator vs lack of experience with engines from LCT. That's the difference.
I have 1 Honda push mower,Honda gen 2000i,2 Honda hs520 snow blowers,honda mantis tiller,and Honda weed whip.Had good luck with all.That said I have also had the same good luck with my briggs engines on my other equipment.
coobie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome