LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 15
Ariens 24 SHO or Super Deluxe 28

I currently have a 2 year old Ariens Compact 24 and while it does ok, it frequently bogs down, even going slowly and using Sno-Jet. I'm pretty much forced to use about 1/3 to 1/2 the intake in any snow greater than 6". That got me looking for something that would do a bit better job. While we don't typically get real heavy snow falls (live in Indy), we do get some sizeable (18-24" plus) drifts at times.

I've pretty much narrowed my search to the 24 SHO and last years 28 super deluxe with the 342cc engine. Would the maneuverability be similar? I don't think the upgrades on the Platinum level are particularly necessary so I think I'm leaning toward the 28. Any thoughts?

Last edited by cbnsoul; 09-06-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 08:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1244
ALOHA to the forms.. get the 28 model.:c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I'd be surprised of there are more than 5 of the 921036 left. Get it now if you want it. Although you'll prob get the SHO for a better deal at this point as McHenry keeps jacking up the price. I paid $150 more than some did from Speedway, and now it's sitting at $250 more.

I wanted a US made engine, but now at a $250 premium, your probably over engine replacement cost for the Chinese Honda clone engines. Is the Briggs more reliable than two Chinese AX engines? Who knows.

Last edited by cabinfever; 09-06-2014 at 10:45 AM.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the 921306 is about $50 more currently than the 24 SHO. It's a tough call. Certainly would like the extra width but, as was pointed out on another thread, the engine to intake size is a bit higher on the 24 SHO. Looks like I would get the 5 year warranty on either right now too (assuming the 921306 qualifies since it is last year's model.)

I think I'm still trying to talk myself into buying another unit, to be honest. Either is double the cost of the Compact 24 I already have. Just seems like every time I use the Compact 24, I wish I had more. Such is life, I guess.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 11:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbnsoul View Post
Thanks for the replies. Looks like the 921306 is about $50 more currently than the 24 SHO. It's a tough call. Certainly would like the extra width but, as was pointed out on another thread, the engine to intake size is a bit higher on the 24 SHO. Looks like I would get the 5 year warranty on either right now too (assuming the 921306 qualifies since it is last year's model.)

I think I'm still trying to talk myself into buying another unit, to be honest. Either is double the cost of the Compact 24 I already have. Just seems like every time I use the Compact 24, I wish I had more. Such is life, I guess.
It does qualify for the 5 year extension promotion.

I hear ya, I have a 24" Craftsman that I swear at every winter. I would've been fine with the 24" SHO too, although I'm more likely to pay more for additional width or engine size rather than stuff like heated hand grips and an alternative chute control.

McHenry sells the 921036 through their website for $1479 with free shipping ($50 for liftgate service). On ebay it's $1350 with a $175 shipping charge, coming to $1525, not sure if that includes liftgate or not.

Getting close to the price of the Platinum 30 and the 396cc engine.

Last edited by cabinfever; 09-06-2014 at 11:35 AM.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, I made my decision. I went and saw a Deluxe 28 at a local dealer. That sucker is WAY bigger than the Compact model. I wouldn't have room to turn it as narrow as our drive is in places. Guess I'm keeping the 24. Thanks for all the responses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page