Anyone have experience with Ariens st1136? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Anyone have experience with Ariens st1136?

Hey everyone,

I came across an ariens st1136 and was wondering if anyone can give me any information on it. Are they reliable? Anything I should look for when I check it out? I couldn't find any reviews online and was wondering if there was a reason why these didn't sell as much as the other models. Also, in good condition what should I pay for this? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 05:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
I have some knowledge of these machines. My Father has one. Purchased it new in 1982. If it is taken care of, and he baby's his, it will still run like it did 32 years ago. Like a tank. I did a side by side of his ST1136 to my 2014 Deluxe 30.

As far as pricing, I have seen one on my local Craigslist for $1,500. Don't think it sold either, and it was posted for quite some time. They where asking to much in my opinion. That is about what they sold for new in the early 80's. Allot of the price would have to be based on condition.

Hope this video helps.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #3 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Lol I saw that video right before I posted this thread. It's the first thing that shows up on google.

There is one for 500 and the starter it broken. The pull start works.

Did you ever try your dad's ariens? Does it throw well?
post #4 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I ran it a few times when it was new. I left home shortly after that. Course when it was new it threw snow like a S O B. He was in rural MN and would get some good drifts, like 4-6 tall. Course you would have to do what you could with the blower, then go back in with a shovel and knock down the snow. What a pain in the a22, but that is what needed to be done. Needless to say that old blower has moved some snow in its lifetime.

As you can tell by the video, Dad and the blower have an easier life now living in a suburban setting. They have been living the easy life for the last 10 years or so. I tried talking him into a new one last year, but he does not see the need, That should tell ya something. So I had it into his local Ariens dealer and had them surprise him with heated hand grips this summer, so he is pretty stoked about that.

As far as the blower now, it still runs good. I have not used it, but he says it still throws as good as new. He does keep up on the maintenance. I know he had new belts a few years back. He had a minor auger gear lube leek, but had that fixed as all it was, was a gasket. After those many years I can see them drying out. Something for you to keep in mind.

As far as the started being broke, I would not see that as a deal breaker. He lives and dies by the electric start, but he is closing in on 80 years old also. When I hauled it in to the dealer this summer I choked it and gave it a good hard pull and it popped right off and drove it up the ramps into my pick up. Keep in mind this was a 65 degree day also.

I would say $500 is a fair price for a machine of this size and caliber.

You indicated that Ariens did not sell many of these. What did you base that from? I personally find that hard to believe as this is a big powerful blower. That 6 blade impeller, something that you don't see in today's market, really does the job.

In summary, I would pull the trigger on this for $500 assuming it is in not that bad of shape. Happen to have any photo's?

post #5 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here is the ad.

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/grd/4668093465.html

I'm probably wrong but I assumed these didn't sell as much because I don't see these for sale often. Actually, this is the only one that I've seen for sale within my area and surrounding states. I also didn't see any reviews online except for your youtube video where as all the other ariens had tons of videos and reviews. But then again, this is a giant machine where most residential owners would not need.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 09:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
The ad has been pulled already. Guess it sold. Most people don't want a huge wide machine.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I should have jumped on it...

Well thank you liftoff for the feedback!
post #8 of 13 Old 09-21-2014, 10:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
No problem, that what this forum is all about.

Good luck with your search. These are large machines, and the average homeowner would not look at something like this as stated before, much like the Ariens of today. You have to go to the Hydro pro line to get a 36" wide bucket and there are only 2 reviews on the Ariens inter web page.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
I have one of these but haven't got to do much with it. I was searching craiglist for snow blowers and it appeared. I googled searched it and found the video and this forum. So I ended up getting it and so far enjoying it over my old neglected Sears snowblower i bought last year as a project.
post #10 of 13 Old 11-18-2015, 03:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 262
Those old STs are monsters. Great machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page