pgk

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Upgrade from single stage to two stage

Hi Guys,
Newbie here. I have a 21 year old Toro single stage that has seen better days. Over the years it has done a great job for what it was designed for, but after last winter I couldn't tell you how many times I struggled to get our driveway done and the snow plow comes flying down the road and pushes two feet of dense packed snow right back into my drive. I have a cabin up in Kalkaska Mi. and bought a 24hp Diesel New Holland with a 64" blower on it and it's done a nice job over the last decade. Our driveway up north is huge and the only way your getting down the drive is to clear it first.. Down state our drive is quite a bit smaller maybe a 7 car size. I own a small biz. in a small town and two of my customers own outdoor sports dealerships one carries Toro the other Husqvarna, being that hey are customers of mine I feel like I'm almost locked in to buying one or the other. I'm thinking either the Husqvarna ST327P and the Toro 828OHXE?? All of my lawn equipment including my tractor have hydrostatic drive and have been trouble free for years, so I'm kind of leaning towards the Husky. I know it's overkill but when we get a snow storm I can't be spending all morning clearing snow at home, I need to get to work and clear out there also. What do you pro's think
Thanks Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-22-2014, 05:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
get the TORO. stay away from that other thing. they are not good. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
pgk

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for your opinion Powershift, any particular reason you like Toro over the Husqvarna?

Thanks Pete
post #4 of 11 Old 09-22-2014, 09:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Toros are good and as for the Huskies they have electric motors for their chute and the output directional chute. There are folks that had issues with them as they tend to freeze and the motor burns eventually or are subject to water ingress, either way they cost 140 bucks to replace or 40 to 50 at a junk yard otherwise the machine is well built.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
pgk

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for explaining Normex, I haven't seen the ST327P in person yet so it's hard to tell from the pictures. Does this new model use a electric motor also? As soon as I'm well enough to get out of the house I will venture out to my local dealer and check them out.

Thanks again
Pete
post #6 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
After seeing their specs and including some like LED light, again the only small down sides is the electric chute control and its rotation degree plus another downside is 12" impeller size. I guess if one is careful to make sure the chute is free from being frozen and wipe all the snow after use and live with the small lack of rotation chute control. To tell you the truth I am more Ariens biased but there is a price difference.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...1&d=1411501045

The red button is where you activate the chute control, rotation = 180 deg
more preferable is 200 deg rotation

There are more experienced people here who may add their opinion.

Note: the txt file are the specs for the husky which I tried to delete to no avail, just ignore it or dld if you want to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	husky st327.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	20282  
Attached Files
File Type: txt husky327.txt (891 Bytes, 38 views)

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 09-23-2014 at 04:09 PM.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 04:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgk View Post
Thanks for your opinion Powershift, any particular reason you like Toro over the Husqvarna?

Thanks Pete
THOSE Husqvarna's are thin metal frames that will not take a lot of abuse or use. even though TORO'S are made in mexico. the sheet metal is a lot thicker. and the drive train is tougher also.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The ST327P is a brand new model for this fall, not many people have actually seen them yet.
The chute rotation is mechanical, no motors!
post #9 of 11 Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
THOSE Husqvarna's are thin metal frames that will not take a lot of abuse or use. even though TORO'S are made in mexico. the sheet metal is a lot thicker. and the drive train is tougher also.
Are you talking about the new models that Husqvarna is selling this season?

Completely New Design. 3 years in the making!
10 New Models replace the 7 old snow blowers. The new models are divided into three groups (single stage, homeowner, land owner) so you can easily decide which snow blower is right for you.
High Capacity All Surface Homeowner 3 Models
High Capacity All Surface Landowner 4 Models
Hard Surface Homeowner Models 3 Models
Adjustable Height Handles! This is one of the most exciting features of these new snow blowers. Now anyone can use a Husqvarna snow blower.
Intuitive Controls. Easy to use, positive action controls. Big hands, small hands, with gloves or without.
Quiet Muffler System. Nearly 20% quieter than last years snow blowers.
Most Reliable Engines In The Industry! In fact all Husqvarna Snow Blowers now come with a 5 Year Starting Guarantee!
Instead of tricks and treats, they went for reliability and ease of use. Instead of cheaper and thinner, they went heavy-duty and thicker.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-24-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
pgk

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, this is a new model this year. I have since found that one of my local dealers also carries Ariens, how does this line stack up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page