New guy, my SS Honda vs Toro vs Simplicity comparison - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New guy, my SS Honda vs Toro vs Simplicity comparison

New guy here who's been lurking. I'm not affiliated with any of these brands, I just wanted to give my opinion while shopping. After reading this forum for several hours researching my new snow blower, I was all set to go buy something. Quick back story, I'm coming from an old Toro 2 stroke on its last legs. I'm in the midwest where the snowfall can range from nothing to several feet. I wanted something smaller than a 2 stage and an electric start so the wife could use it. I have a 3 car driveway that can fit about 8 full-sized cars on it. I went to a local dealer. Here's my comparison:

Honda HS720 - I went to the dealer with my mind pretty much made up on the Honda. The build quality seemed solid and Hondas are known for reliability. When I tried it out, everything looked good except 1 major flaw in my opinion. The "snow director" system was very rough feeling and required A LOT of effort to move the chute. I thought it might have been broken, so I tried other HS720's there with the same results. I had to scratch Honda off my list because of this. It's too bad that the HS720 without this feature didn't have the electric start.

Toro 721 (Model 38744) - I was very impressed with the Toro, especially the "quick chute" system. It operated very smoothly (like butter) compared to the Honda. The Toro also has a bigger engine than the Honda. The Honda did have a metal chute compared to plastic on the Toro. The Toro was the most expensive however.

I was all set to get the Toro, then something really caught my eye. A simplicity 1222EE snow blower. My dealer had just gotten it in and he seemed very impressed by it, as was I. There's a few things that really set it apart from the Honda and Toro. You can easily check the oil level from the top of the engine. It's a single stage, but has a rubber AND metal blade. This seems like a great idea for the ice at the end of the driveway from the plow. It has the biggest engine (briggs) of the 3, a light bar, an electric chute, and a 3 year (instead of 2) warranty, and was the cheapest price of the 3. I knew I was taking a chance with it being a brand new model, but I have faith! My dealer put oil and gas in it, and it fired up on the first pull. I loaded it in the truck and took it home. As much as I hate the snow, I can't wait to try this out and let everyone know how it's doing.

Obligatory picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140923_174343 - Copy (2).jpg
Views:	151
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	20346   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140923_174330 - Copy.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	20410  

Last edited by Fo-Time; 09-24-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 09-24-2014, 01:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo-Time View Post
New guy here who's been lurking. I'm not affiliated with any of these brands, I just wanted to give my opinion while shopping. After reading this forum for several hours researching my new snow blower, I was all set to go buy something. Quick back story, I'm coming from an old Toro 2 stroke on its last legs. I'm in the midwest where the snowfall can range from nothing to several feet. I wanted something smaller than a 2 stage and an electric start so the wife could use it. I have a 3 car driveway that can fit about 8 full-sized cars on it. I went to a local dealer. Here's my comparison:

Honda HS720 - I went to the dealer with my mind pretty much made up on the Honda. The build quality seemed solid and Hondas are known for reliability. When I tried it out, everything looked good except 1 major flaw in my opinion. The "snow director" system was very rough feeling and required A LOT of effort to move the chute. I thought it might have been broken, so I tried other HS720's there with the same results. I had to scratch Honda off my list because of this. It's too bad that the HS720 without this feature didn't have the electric start.

Toro 721 (Model 38744) - I was very impressed with the Toro, especially the "quick chute" system. It operated very smoothly (like butter) compared to the Honda. The Toro also has a bigger engine than the Honda. The Honda did have a metal chute compared to plastic on the Toro. The Toro was the most expensive however.

I was all set to get the Toro, then something really caught my eye. A simplicity 1222EE snow blower. My dealer had just gotten it in and he seemed very impressed by it, as was I. There's a few things that really set it apart from the Honda and Toro. You can easily check the oil level from the top of the engine. It's a single stage, but has a rubber AND metal blade. This seems like a great idea for the ice at the end of the driveway from the plow. It has the biggest engine (briggs) of the 3, a light bar, an electric chute, and a 3 year (instead of 2) warranty, and was the cheapest price of the 3. I knew I was taking a chance with it being a brand new model, but I have faith! My dealer put oil and gas in it, and it fired up on the first pull. I loaded it in the truck and took it home. As much as I hate the snow, I can't wait to try this out and let everyone know how it's doing.

Obligatory picture:
I hope that it works great for you! I didn't realize that the engine is exposed outside of the housing like that, a departure from most other single stage blowers.
Interesting to hear about the Honda chute adjustment, I wonder why it was so rough?

Snowblowers I own.
Honda HS928
Honda HS621
post #3 of 29 Old 09-24-2014, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 View Post
I hope that it works great for you! I didn't realize that the engine is exposed outside of the housing like that, a departure from most other single stage blowers.
Interesting to hear about the Honda chute adjustment, I wonder why it was so rough?
Thanks! The Honda chute adjustment was difficult for the wife to operate and was rather annoying for me. It was not smooth at all and required a decent amount of effort to use( A LOT compared to the Toro). Like I said in my post, I even tried other Hondas there and they were the same way, I was surprised. It's too bad cause I really wanted one due to their known reliability, but that's why I'm glad I went to try them out instead of just ordering one on the internet. I guess I'll have to see how the simplicity holds up over the long term, because I was a little iffy on the electric chute rotation that the simplicity has. My dealer said the Simplicity 2-stages has been using them for several years, so I'm sure it will be fine.

Last edited by Fo-Time; 09-24-2014 at 01:44 AM.
post #4 of 29 Old 09-24-2014, 04:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 7
Fo-Time don't forget about your mail in rebate. For the Simplicity 1222ee snow blower there is a $25 mail in rebate.

The rebates is for simplicity snow blowers purchased between 9/4/14 to 11/1/14.

Here is a link to the rebate if your dealer didn't provide the paperwork;

Snow Blower, Garden Tractor & Lawn Mower Rebates | Simplicity Mowers

Here is the PDF link for the rebate form;

http://www.simplicitymfg.com/au/en/~/media/Files/simplicitymfgcom/Simplicity%20Snowthrower%20Rebates%209-4-14%20to%2011-1-14.pdf

steeve725
post #5 of 29 Old 09-24-2014, 08:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 345
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1134
ALOHA to the forms..: cool::co ol:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 29 Old 09-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Nice! I'm pretty sure I'm ordering my Simplicity 1222ee this week myself
post #7 of 29 Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 345
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1134
what size engine is that BRIGGS??????????????

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 29 Old 09-29-2014, 11:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Looks like it's a 250cc Briggs.
post #9 of 29 Old 10-01-2014, 09:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 21
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 50
I am told its a Chinese made Briggs too
post #10 of 29 Old 10-01-2014, 05:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Pretty nifty machine for a single stage. A rubber/metal hybrid auger, 4-stroke, and head light? Wowwowwiwa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page