LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-03-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Older vs Newer

Does their appear to be a difference between the older or newer snowblowers on how well they perform, last, engine quality, gage of metal, hold their value, etc. etc.

Art

P.S. Older meaning 70's to late 80' to early 90's. Is there a particular brand, model and time period that is a must buy if found in great condition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 763
1960's, 70's and 80's vintage, good names to look for:
Ariens
Toro
John Deere
Simplicity
Honda

there are others, but some names are good for some year ranges, and bad for others..Older Cub Cadets can be much better than newer ones..Same with Craftsman..but its easier to just avoid them alltogether unless you really know what you are looking at..

and yes, when it comes to snowblowers it often true that "older is better"
I would take a 40 years old Ariens over a brand-new MTD..and I have!
Snowblower quality (for all types of OPE, mowers, tractors, etc) has degraded greatly in quality over the past 20 years or so..Good quality stuff, new, is still out there, but its more expensive than many people want to pay..

A $250 30 to 40 year old Ariens can be a much better machine than many brand-new $500 snowblowers..better quality, reliability and longevity, even when factoring in the decades of use they have already performed. yes, I am actually saying a 40 year old snowblower can be better than a brand-new one. the quality then was that good, and the quality now can be that bad. Check out my page, link below, for my experience.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 23 Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 3
I have been looking at Gilson's on line, not sure if those would also be in lumped up there with your list.

Art
post #4 of 23 Old 10-04-2014, 06:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Gilson is a well respected name in snow blowers as well. The old vs. new comparisons still apply...quality of metal and durability of older stuff is better. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #5 of 23 Old 10-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
Old blowers

I'd also add to the list the older Craftsman blowers that have the 536 prefix in the model numbers. Those are the ones that have the Tecumseh transmission in them. IMO they're solid in design and the transmission is an advantage over a friction wheel drive. I've bought, repaired and sold quite a few of them over the past couple of years and have a couple of them I keep as my personal units.

I agree that older units, though usually requiring some repairs or maintenance due to age are usually a more solid unit than most of the newer ones.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 10
older machines didnt have heated handles, easy steer options or easy directionnal control of the chute.. all these features at the relatively same price point nowadays means manufacturers need to cut costs somewheres else.. thinner metal gets used.. stamped pieces instead of castings.. this is the realities of asking for more without wanting to pay more.. we`re partially to blame for this lol i mean.. look at large frame machines.. almost gone out of lower end market (find an MTD large frame under 1500 new) why?? because customer demand stated that we wanted lights, heated handgrips, easy steer triggers, one hand chute controls.. and we wanted it cheap.. so we got it

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #7 of 23 Old 10-04-2014, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty013 View Post
older machines didnt have heated handles, easy steer options or easy directionnal control of the chute.. all these features at the relatively same price point nowadays means manufacturers need to cut costs somewheres else.. thinner metal gets used.. stamped pieces instead of castings.. this is the realities of asking for more without wanting to pay more.. we`re partially to blame for this lol i mean.. look at large frame machines.. almost gone out of lower end market (find an MTD large frame under 1500 new) why?? because customer demand stated that we wanted lights, heated handgrips, easy steer triggers, one hand chute controls.. and we wanted it cheap.. so we got it
I will take the old school heavy metal anyday.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 23 Old 10-06-2014, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
they do have some advantages in build strenght 9 times outta 10

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
post #9 of 23 Old 10-06-2014, 04:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Most of today's snowblowers, in my opinion, are throwaway. Use them a few years and throw them away. It's also called built in failure. Don't get me wrong. There are some mighty fine machines being made still, but you're going to pay and pay dearly. Don't think you're going to walk into a big box store and buy a quality machine for $500. If you take very good care of it and don't abuse it in any way you may make it last 10-15 yes but honestly, I don't see it happening. Feel free to disagree.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #10 of 23 Old 10-06-2014, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Most of today's snowblowers, in my opinion, are throwaway. Use them a few years and throw them away. It's also called built in failure. Don't get me wrong. There are some mighty fine machines being made still, but you're going to pay and pay dearly. Don't think you're going to walk into a big box store and buy a quality machine for $500. If you take very good care of it and don't abuse it in any way you may make it last 10-15 yes but honestly, I don't see it happening. Feel free to disagree.
micah.. i dont think anyone on here would disagree with that at all! my point was just.. we as costumers asked for this...in a way.. 50 years ago.. we couldnt walk into big box stores and buy a snowblower really.. so something had to change to make that happen.. and big box stores LOVE their profit margins.. units are still sold like that.. who`s paying for that?? everyone who cant afford to drop more than a grand for a machine.. and not everyone can do teir own work.. some opt for `peace of mind`of warrantee... others know a machine in the shop means your shoveling

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page