LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-15-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Looking at a Snapper H1528E

Hello everyone, been lurking around here for a while and finally decided to post for some advice/opinions. I somehow got through the horrible winter we had here in Lancaster, PA last year with a 42" blower on my Troy Bilt Pony riding mower. It at times was not fun to use and I have since given that mower to my father, gotten an eXmark and sold the blower. It was good at blowing out the belt and just not built for anything more than a few inches of light stuff on a completely flat driveway. I am now in the market for a walk behind blower and was wondering your opinions on the Snapper Heavy Duty 28" blower, model H1528E. It comes with all the options I want: hand warmers, electric chute both vertical and horizontal, CI gear box, easy steer, LED headlights (not one in the middle blocked by the chute) and a 305cc B&S motor. I was going to get the 26" one but it seems that you don't get the USA made B&S motor until you get to the 1450 series so that is my reasoning. I had also been thinking about the 3 stage Cub Cadets but for only $100 more ($1199 for a 26" Cub Cadet 3x vs $1399 with a $100 mail in rebate 28" Snapper) I could get what I believe, from what I have read, an all American built Snapper.

Let me know what you guys think! I know they have the 26" Snapper with a 250CC B&S but it seems to be built overseas. I am most likely going to buy one Friday if they have the 28" in the showroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-15-2014, 08:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 292
From just the specs of it, cast iron auger, a real transmission, trigger steer. It does appear to be a superior decision over the Cub.

What I can not comment on, are the things that I either can not compare through mfg specs, or simply can not put my hands on.

Things that I might be concerned with, would be auger housing construction and comparison of thickness to other comparable machines. The cable thickness and rigging, especially trigger cables, as they will see the most stress of use. The over all hardiness of the unit. Does it flex or wiggle, when you raise the bucket up?

This unit offer a lot of features for the dollar, but that only works if they are executed well. Otherwise, over time, they will become a liability.

My humble opinion, and best of luck in your decision.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 17 Old 10-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 362
Likes (Given): 152
Likes (Received): 805
I would absolutely go for it..
Its one of the very last 100% Made in the USA snowblowers, ever, both the snowblower itself and the engine. All 2-stage snowblower engines are now made in China.

Your Snapper is probably a year or two old, (but still brand new, in the sense its never been used) but I wouldn't be concerned about that in the least..It is common for snowblowers to hang around an extra summer before being sold if its a mild winter somewhere..(which is why snowblowers never have "official" model years!) not a big deal at all..sitting in a warehouse does it no harm whatsoever..And I would still prefer it to "this years model" with the Chinese-made engine.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 17 Old 10-16-2014, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks guys, exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm going to give it the sturdy test and feel it out tomorrow if they have them in the showroom and most likely be bringing it home!
post #5 of 17 Old 10-21-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Picked her up today! Didn't get the chance to take any pictures or play around with it to much but it seems very solidly built. I want to go over everything and make sure they have it bolted together good and it seems to me like it is twisted a little when you pic up the front, so maybe a little tweaking here and there. The only thing I noticed is the LED headlights flicker. I have read the thread about adding a rectifier and I was in Electronics engineering for 2 years so I understand the issues but this seems like something they would have engineered at the factory...Anyways, bring on the snow! I'll try to post some pics then when available.

I looked at the same exact thing basically just the Simplicity model and I just liked the very few differences with the Snapper.

Last edited by theeplaymaker; 10-21-2014 at 10:57 PM.
post #6 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 01:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by theeplaymaker View Post
Picked her up today! Didn't get the chance to take any pictures or play around with it to much but it seems very solidly built. I want to go over everything and make sure they have it bolted together good and it seems to me like it is twisted a little when you pic up the front, so maybe a little tweaking here and there. The only thing I noticed is the LED headlights flicker. I have read the thread about adding a rectifier and I was in Electronics engineering for 2 years so I understand the issues but this seems like something they would have engineered at the factory...Anyways, bring on the snow! I'll try to post some pics then when available.

I looked at the same exact thing basically just the Simplicity model and I just liked the very few differences with the Snapper.
Yeah, you may want to look through the owners manual to see if it mentions the flicker. One would think that they would have addressed this.

Garage:
post #7 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 362
Likes (Given): 152
Likes (Received): 805
excellent! congats on the new machine..and yes, please post some pics when you can!

Scot

post #8 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here she is. Can't wait for some snow now!!!

post #9 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 10:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Those wheels look tall and skinny, that ought to allow for a better bite into slippery conditions.

Garage:
post #10 of 17 Old 10-22-2014, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
16" x 4.8" I believe...the 30" a model up had the wider tires...I agree that the tall tires with lots of tread should bite pretty well, even though I think they look beefier and better with the wide ones on, I didn't need to step up again since I already decided to forgo the 26" for this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page