LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-15-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Regret getting 24 over 28inch?

Hello all. I've basically narrowed my choices down to an Ariens Platinum 24 SHO (306cc) or a Ariens Deluxe 28 Plus (291cc). The SHO is a smidgen more powerful, especially when looking at intake/power ratio, but I'm not certain if it makes a difference in the real world. My clearing area is about 1700-1800 square feet in Northern Ontario Canada. Has anyone here regretted going a smaller width? I don't really care about the heated handgrips nor having non-standard parts on the SHO but the smaller 4 inches decrease would make moving it by cars easier.

Place your votes, snowblowerforumites decide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 292
Well, with the ease of getting by things, and larger engine, the smaller one would be able to handle deeper snow easier. Just my 2 cents.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 09:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
I had a 30" 10.5hp blower previous, and although it was nice to not make those couple of extra passes up and down the drive the 23" and 24" I have now are much easier to handle and maneuver on the sidewalks. I live in the city area.

If you live in a rural area and don't have pedestrian walkways to deal with, get the 28" machine. If you live in an urban or suburban area, go with the 24".
post #4 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 10:36 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 158
Thanks (Received): 292
Likes (Given): 390
Likes (Received): 965
There always seems to be two schools of thought. Bigger is always better and getting the smallest blower to get the job done effeciently. I personally prefer the smallest I can reasonably use and not be under or overpowered. My driveway is about 30 ' x 10' and a sidewalk about 60' length. I use a Toro 521 or in most cases my Toro Power Clear. I got rid of my old Gilson 826 before the first snowflake ever fell, after moving from a house that had a driveway about 200' x 15'. Some guys think the other way and always toss in the EOD factor. Where I live that is a non issue. I can tell you that with the older technology blowers without auto turn and individual steering clutches, that bigger is harder to use. I don't even enjoy blowing snow so I try to make it as easy on myself as possible. Also I'm kind of a frugal type and I'm not going to spend lots of $$ for something I hardly ever use. If I were in a big snow belt area I would probably change my thinking but for me smaller is better. I'm done now.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 05:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1210
I told GRUNT this in another thread. I live up here in the frozen tundra of MINNESOTA. growing up every body in my hood had those snow pups. my old man had one of those snow flyers made by some outfit. but there was this one guy that had a ARIENS OR a simplicity that was fairly good size. so that made him the big man in my hood. from that day and time I vowed to myself that some day I would have the biggest, meanest snow blower to lay waste to this frozen tundra that we endure for months on end here. and for 50 days and 50 nights I would spend making THE MASTERPIECE better, faster and stronger than before.: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
I told GRUNT this in another thread. I live up here in the frozen tundra of MINNESOTA. growing up every body in my hood had those snow pups. my old man had one of those snow flyers made by some outfit. but there was this one guy that had a ARIENS OR a simplicity that was fairly good size. so that made him the big man in my hood. from that day and time I vowed to myself that some day I would have the biggest, meanest snow blower to lay waste to this frozen tundra that we endure for months on end here. and for 50 days and 50 nights I would spend making THE MASTERPIECE better, faster and stronger than before.: cool:
so which makes me a bigger man.. a 24 inch SUPER HIGH OUTPUT or a 28 inch deluxe plus? lol
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ctwilly49 thanked for this post
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 08:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 294
Likes (Given): 2971
Likes (Received): 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
Hey Todd, that sounds more like a Bible verse about the six million dollar man.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-16-2014, 09:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 14
My Ariens Platinum 24 is definitely easier to handle than some other 30" machines that I've used in the past, but the ball bearing Briggs 250cc engine on the 2010 model I have will only throw the snow about 50 feet...
post #9 of 19 Old 10-17-2014, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 1
That Ariens Platinum SHO 24 looks pretty sweet… you get a lot of power in a smaller package. In sure it was designed for someone that lives in a high snowfall area but has many obstacles to maneuver around. So if you’re going to make a lot of quick turns and have to back up a lot I think this blower would be a good one.

The other good thing about it is that you have a small intake of 24’’ and a bigger engine with a 14’’ inch impeller so I would assume this machine could toss snow a good distance. It’s pretty much a supped up 24’’ snow blower.

Thinking out loud Since the 24’’ inch is taking a smaller bite maybe you could blow snow in a higher gear or two rather than dropping down a gear with a 28’’ It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with both machines with equal square footage and equal snow depth and type.

Honda HS 828 (Shoe-less significant restoration)
Honda HS 1132 TAS (simple restoration)
Ariens ST7524E
post #10 of 19 Old 10-17-2014, 03:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 354
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
so which makes me a bigger man.. a 24 inch SUPER HIGH OUTPUT or a 28 inch deluxe plus? lol
get the 28 inch you will not regret it.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page