LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 10-19-2014, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
Predator 212cc Engine Oil plug threads

Anyone know the thread size of the oil plugs on the engine? I'm going to put a 90 degree bend,on/off valve, and a cap. Just getting the machine prepped for this winter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
I think the 10 MM drain zit is the correct one, but I never got one to actually figure it out. I don't remember what I researched for the thread pitch, but if you find something cheap that works do share for the rest of us.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-20-2014, 01:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm2410 View Post
Anyone know the thread size of the oil plugs on the engine? I'm going to put a 90 degree bend,on/off valve, and a cap. Just getting the machine prepped for this winter
I have not been able to find a threaded pipe either with a fine thread size 10mm. Just buy a drainzit for the Honda engine with the 10mm it fits. Here is a link

Drainzit Oil Drain Hose — Model# HON1010C.DRA | Misc. Accessories| Northern Tool + Equipment
post #4 of 31 Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 32
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 74
on one of my greyhound engines which uses the same 10mm standard thread, I re tapped the hole to 1/4" npt. the hole is close enough in size that you can just run the tape through it slowly. I packed my tap with grease to help capture any aluminum chips. I did mine when the engine needed an oil change. Put the engine on and incline away from the drain hole remove the drain plug and tap it. after taping it put your 1/4" nipple in the hole and drain the old oil out. I strained my old oil and ran it through the engine again just to flush out any possibility of there being any left over chips from the tap. after the old oil drains put the cap on you pipe and refill with new oil.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 112
Likes (Received): 76
That Drainzit looks like a great idea. But it seems a little expensive at $20.

The drain plug thread on the Predator is a M10-1.25 straight machine thread.

Carl has a good idea on re-tapping it for a 1/4 NPT as he did on his Greyhound.

But ...You need to make sure there is enough wall thickness to open it up!

The tap drill for a 1/4 NPT is 7/16 and the OD of the thread is .540.

As an alternative you could use an adaptor that goes from the Male M10-1.25 to 1/8 NPT (or similar) as the one shown in the link. From there you can put an elbow and appropriate length nipple on it. Or use a hose barb and put on a rubber hose like the DrainZit concept. Such adaptors are often found at a good auto parts store or a plumbing supply.

Just some ideas that are a bit more economical and allow you to optimize it for your application.

http://www.brakeconnect.com/product-...hread-changers

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator

Last edited by Toro-8-2-4; 10-22-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 31 Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro-8-2-4 View Post
That Drainzit looks like a great idea. But it seems a little expensive at $20.

The drain plug thread on the Predator is a M10-1.25 straight machine thread.

Carl has a good idea on re-tapping it for a 1/4 NPT as he did on his Greyhound.

But ...You need to make sure there is enough wall thickness to open it up!

The tap drill for a 1/4 NPT is 7/16 and the OD of the thread is .540.

As an alternative you could use an adaptor that goes from the Male M10-1.25 to 1/8 NPT (or similar) as the one shown in the link. From there you can put an elbow and appropriate length nipple on it. Or use a hose barb and put on a rubber hose like the DrainZit concept. Such adaptors are often found at a good auto parts store or a plumbing supply.

Just some ideas that are a bit more economical and allow you to optimize it for your application.

Thread Changers - BrakeConnect

For Pete sake It's only $20. And the time and effort saved in not having to run around just looking the parts and then buying them to make your own Drainzit kit is worth way more than just $20 to me.

Yes, I too am sort of cheap (Predator repower instead of buying a new snow blower). But this is sort of like buying double ply toliet paper and splitting it into 2 rolls for the same price. Not worth it to me because just buying the parts alone let the time saved putting a drain kit togather for the convenience of the premade ready to bolt on drainzit kit are definitely worth $20.00 cost of the item.

Here is were I saved my money. I made my own bailer belt impeller kit for my snowblower for way less money than $36.00 that Clarence sells his kit for. It cost me about $5.00 in parts and works every bit as good as his kit does and I save $31.00. Plus you still got to install the Clarence kit into your snowblower unlike the prethreaded to the correct size just bolt in the drain hole of your engine and your done of the Drainzit. The Drainzit is a great deal!
post #7 of 31 Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Wow...with all do respect I never expected such a strong response! I do understand your points.

I am only giving people information and ideas that work for a variety of situations. Folks can use them as they see fit. Or not.

If you only change the oil once a year, as many do, it is not that big of a deal. So it may get a bit messy. If you can easily take the wheel off and put down a piece of sheet metal, alum foil or wax paper. It doesn't seem too bad for a once a year activity.

Every one has a different financial situation and time constraints. If you are changing your oil several times through out the winter it may make a lot of sense to use the drainzit or make your own. I am not judging anyone, but for me, the $26 (with the shipping) is not worth it.

Less than 10 bucks in fittings from your local plumbing supply or auto store and you can achieve the same thing.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #8 of 31 Old 10-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I tried 3 different places and no one had 10mm 1.25 pitch threaded fittings. Everything was standard fittings
post #9 of 31 Old 10-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I guess it is not so popular as I expected. Sorry if you feel mislead.

I know it is somewhat common size for oil plugs.

In light of this the Drain Zit wins.

I just did a quick Goolge and come up with this drain plug that comes in a m10-1.25. It has a valve built-in and a barb for a hose connection. It is more money than the drain zit and it is not clear if it would actually fit on a Predator sitting directly on the deck with out a riser.

Check out Fumoto F124N. I doubt this will be in your auto parts store and would likely be an internet purchase.

F124N | Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valves

Next time I go to my local Auto part store I will take a look for such fittings and let you know what I find.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

post #10 of 31 Old 11-01-2014, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Found the Drainzit Oil Drain Hose on Amazon same price but if you have Prime shipping
is free.Here is the link for it.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page