post #1 of 13 Old 10-21-2014, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
About to pull the trigger

I've been researching snowblowers for a while, ever since I got tired of wrestling with my old Crary Bear Cat two years back. I bought a 1990's vintage Yamaha YS828 to try out a tracked machine, and really liked it. But I wanted something newer, or at least that parts were still being made for, so I sold the Yammie and continued to search.

I want:
  • tracks
  • hydrostatic drive
  • 24" minimum width, 28" is better
  • quality
  • longevity

Currently I'm this >< close to going to the local Honda folks and buying an HS928TA. I also looked long and hard at the comparable Ariens, ST28DLET. I really like the looks and its weird triangulated track, and it has an easy turn feature that might be nice. But two things are stopping me. I keep reading about them not being able to reverse up even a small slope, and complaints that the headlight shines right up in the eyes of the operator. Both of those leave me wondering how well the rest of the machine is engineered.

Those are really the only two models on my list at the moment. Am I missing anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-21-2014, 07:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 507
Thanks (Received): 355
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1240
go with the HONDA.:c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
wdb

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 69
Trigger pulled. HS928TA will be delivered the next time the truck is coming out this way. They even threw in some shear bolts. Funny thing happened though. I discussed the purchase with two different dealers; one said the machine had a 2-year warranty, the other said it had a 3-year warranty. And they had a better price. And they offered a discount for cash. Guess which one I went with.
post #4 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 03:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 39
Your neighbors will be jealous. I have a 928 tcd these things are a beast. Congrats.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
where is the perimeter

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 292
on the edge

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #7 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 06:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Congrats! You will appreciate this tool. I hesitated to jump on a HS928TA but my needs did not justify it (I'm in a urban area, 24 in is more than enough).

Honda HSS724TC 2013
post #8 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 101
Likes (Received): 130
Just wait until your fire that baby up for it's inaugural snow clearing event. You're going to have a smile from ear to ear when you see that steady stream of snow (also known as the Rooster Tail) discharging 30ft in the air and 45ft in either direction. Awesome machine! Enjoy!

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #9 of 13 Old 10-24-2014, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by db9938 View Post
on the edge
YEAHHHHH that much I know.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
I've been researching snowblowers for a while, ever since I got tired of wrestling with my old Crary Bear Cat two years back. I bought a 1990's vintage Yamaha YS828 to try out a tracked machine, and really liked it. But I wanted something newer, or at least that parts were still being made for, so I sold the Yammie and continued to search.

I want:
  • tracks
  • hydrostatic drive
  • 24" minimum width, 28" is better
  • quality
  • longevity

Currently I'm this >< close to going to the local Honda folks and buying an HS928TA. I also looked long and hard at the comparable Ariens, ST28DLET. I really like the looks and its weird triangulated track, and it has an easy turn feature that might be nice. But two things are stopping me. I keep reading about them not being able to reverse up even a small slope, and complaints that the headlight shines right up in the eyes of the operator. Both of those leave me wondering how well the rest of the machine is engineered.

Those are really the only two models on my list at the moment. Am I missing anything?
I would say if you can afford the Honda 928 I would get that, you won’t be disappointed… as for the headlight problem on the ariens a simple piece of duct tape to shade the upper light from your eyes would work for me but you shouldn’t have to do that for such an expensive machine. Sounds like you got the 928 anyways so you’re good to go! In my opinion the 928 is the perfect size not too big and not too small.

Honda HS 828 (Shoe-less significant restoration)
Honda HS 1132 TAS (simple restoration)
Ariens ST7524E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page