post #1 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Madsion, WI - New Snowblower Advice

Hi,

After last winter in my new home using a plowing service and shoveling as needed, I've decided to purchase a snowblower. I live in Madison, WI where average snowfalls for the season total between 45 - 60 inches; most snowfall is 5-6 inches with the occasional larger storm. My driveway is 18' x 56 with a front walk and sidewalk area.

I'm considering either a Toro 721E or an Ariens Path-pro 208 EC. I think either one of these will cover 90% of what I need. My concern is the end of the driveway plow mess and the times when we do get heavier snowfalls.

I admit there is a part of me that wants to buy the Ariens Compact 22 although I think it might be overkill. I can't imagine pulling it out for anything under 4 inches which means I'm shoveling most of the time.

I should add that I have room in my garage for any of these machines.

I'd appreciate any advice from forum members that live in a similar climate with their snowblowers or went through the same decision process I'm going through now.

Thanks,

--Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
with the small 2 stages you can run them for the 4 inch plus stuff. ALOHA TO THE FORMS..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Can you justify both? Either that or maybe get the single stage now and keep an eye on craigslist for an older 2 stage for pretty cheap. Are you capable of fixing things yourself? You can basically find broken ones for free - $50 and even if you end up putting a $100 Harbor Freight engine on it you can come out with a decent machine for cheap.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
The lighter the snow the faster forward speed you can go and the speed helps feed the impeller enough to help it throw. So if it's a bit too big I'd much prefer that to having my back broken trying to "help" it through the end of dive pile from the plow.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 11 Old 10-25-2014, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
While I'd love to buy both types, I don't have the money or storage space at the moment. I like the idea of getting a two stage off of Craigslist. There are are whole bunch of them out there when I checked yesterday.

I went to my dealer today to take a look at the Toro and Ariens machines. He still has the 621 in stock marked down from it's high of last year. I compared the Ariens 208 EC ($599) to the Torro 621 QZE ($679). The guy who owns the store lives near me and recommended the Toro for my application in a single stage. To be fair, he was originally showing me the 621E for $499, I'm the one who was looking at the higher end model. In comparing the two, I liked the balance of the Toro better, and the Quick shoot and zip deflector feature was slicker than the Ariens. I thought the Ariens had better engine access for maintenance, was more compact for storage, and of course has a bigger engine. The warranty is also one year more than the Toro.

In all honesty I'm leaning to the Toro despite the smaller engine. I'm unclear what difference the larger engine is going to make in real world application and the Quickshoot is superior to the Ariens.

Anything else I should be taking into account? Am I looking at this the wrong way?
post #6 of 11 Old 10-25-2014, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
Just another guy from Madison.. Their was/is a Ariens ST724 on CL for sale in Evansville that looks real good and has a Ariens snow cab ($300). I've had great luck with used ariens for many years. P.S. welcome
post #7 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 05:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I live in Madison, WI area too, I have had a single stage, never again. If you had a plowing service come in, I would think that you would minimally need a 2 stage. The stuff the plow leaves at the end of the driveway is generally difficult even for a smaller 2 stage. I have found the 2 stage to work great even for a few inches of fluff, just run in high gear. I went from a 24" 2 stage to a larger one. They say we are in for a rough winter, choose wisely
post #8 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 05:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I agree with Razir66.. The snowfalls here are just too unpredictable anymore. 20-25 years ago each winter was pretty much same year after year.. not no more. Just one big storm and you'll be glad you went with the bigger.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
After thinking about it for a two days and surveying my neighbors, there was general agreement that two stage was the way to go. Everyone that had a one stage was disappointed by the performance in larger storms (6 plus inches) and in their ability to clear the end of the driveway from the plow.

So, I'm going to look at an Ariens Compact 24 tomorrow. Price is $800 everywhere and the warranty is extended by 5 years if I buy by Friday. I figure I'll have the machine for a minimum of 10 years; seems like a good investment.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-27-2014, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner421 View Post
After thinking about it for a two days and surveying my neighbors, there was general agreement that two stage was the way to go. Everyone that had a one stage was disappointed by the performance in larger storms (6 plus inches) and in their ability to clear the end of the driveway from the plow.

So, I'm going to look at an Ariens Compact 24 tomorrow. Price is $800 everywhere and the warranty is extended by 5 years if I buy by Friday. I figure I'll have the machine for a minimum of 10 years; seems like a good investment.
That's exactly what I did... seems like an awesome machine, even though I haven't tried it in the snow yet. Home Depot let me use a 10% off coupon I had for Lowes, so that knocked the price down a tad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page