post #1 of 17 Old 10-25-2014, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
BMR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS720C vs Toro 721QZR

Was at a dealer today that had both of these models side by side. Very tough decision and need some comments from some of you ( especially contractors or ROBERT from Honda ) about them.

1) The Honda remote chute control for left to right was very stiff and squeaked a lot during use. The up down was good. Surely Honda must see this when their own people try the unit. Could it be that it will loosen up over time, is it a lubrication issue, will this be a problem for the life of the machine ?????? The Toro chute control was much better but does not control up down, only left right.

2) The Honda control handle folds down for "Convenient" storage, but you need a wrench to undue the bolts in order to fold it down. The Toro had large wing nuts to undue for the fold down, but the dealer said they can vibrate loose and fall off.

3) The Honda has to have the auger engaged and be TILTED forward in order to make it move, the Toro bites in and moves forward as soon as the auger is engaged but the dealer said does not clean as close to the pavement as the Honda due to the Tilt.

4) The Honda engine and the whole machine are made in the USA, the Toro has a Chinese engine ( concerned about this as I do not trust Chinese manufacturing, and favor giving work to USA workers if possible ).

5) The Honda does not need to be PRIMED when starting, the Toro has a primer bulb and has to be pushed 3 times. I do not like priming, always a hit and miss thing about flooding the engine. Is it true the Honda can do it without a prime, if so how, why does Toro not do this ???

6) The Honda is one inch less wide and has a 190cc engine vs a 212cc engine in the Toro. Can the Toro throw more snow ??

7) The shroud and the auger blade are larger on the Toro then the Honda, does this allow more snow to be collected and thrown?

8) Some contractors say the previous Honda's clog up easier than the Toros.

Please comment on the issues that I have mentioned and do not bring in other machines like the Ariens, Simplicity, Husqavarna, etc ... I really like both machines, but some of the issues are deal breakers either way.

Thank You,

BMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-26-2014, 08:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 7
The Honda has the auto-choke system. It's on my HRX217 mower and it's great! Just go full throttle, pull the cord and she fires right up! I'd bet a little white lithium grease on the Honda chute control and it would butter right up. I recommend adding 2oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to your 5 gallon gas can every time you fill it up. Keep's your carb spotless and adds a little top end lube which can't hurt.

I know my 928 chute control brand new out of the box was a little stiff and I hit all the joints with some white lithium grease and it's significantly smoothly. There's minimal lubrication applied from the factory.

2014 Honda 928WAS

Erie, PA
-Avg yearly snowfall 100.8" (256cm)
-2013-14 Snowiest major city in the USA with 138.4" (351.5cm)
post #3 of 17 Old 10-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 130
Another vote for the Honda HS720C. I have two Honda Single Stage Machines (HS621 and HS520). The 190cc engine in the HS720C is VERY robust. Same engine in my Honda mower and I have yet to get that engine to bog down even in the tallest rain soaked grass. That engine is a beast! If the HS621 was still available in the US, I'd point you towards that machine, however the HS720C should be every bit as strong however instead of the Honda Commercial GX160 engine, the HS720 comes with the "consumer grade" GC190. Don't let the consumer grade "label" fool you. The 190cc engine is a Very...Very...robust and capable engine. You will not be disappointed. Don't worry about the chute controls being too stiff. That's how they come from the factory. As previously suggested just use a little bit of white lithium grease or some anti-seize (that's what I use) and after a couple of uses the chute controls will operate silky smooth.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #4 of 17 Old 10-26-2014, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
BMR

Post Thanks / Like
ONE more issue

Thank you so far to Kpax and Freezn.

I have one more issue to add to the original post.

As far as I have been able to research, it seems that the Honda GC190 engine produces 5.2 HP and 8.3 lb-ft torque. I have looked hard and only found one site that claims the Loncin engine in the Toro produces 7.0 HP and 10.3 lb-ft torque.

If this is true then would not the Toro be much stronger in its ability to throw snow ??
post #5 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 11:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
1) The Honda remote chute control for left to right was very stiff
The rubber seal around the base of the chute is a tight fit (probably too tight) and a squirt of silicone spray will do wonders.

Quote:
5) The Honda does not need to be PRIMED when starting, the Toro has a primer bulb and has to be pushed 3 times. I do not like priming, always a hit and miss thing about flooding the engine. Is it true the Honda can do it without a prime, if so how, why does Toro not do this ???
All engines with carburetors need more fuel than air when starting up. Honda does this with a push/pull choke that blocks off air flow, but Toro does it having the operator push a primer bulb a few times to boost fuel. Both systems work fine.

Quote:
6) The Honda is one inch less wide and has a 190cc engine vs a 212cc engine in the Toro. Can the Toro throw more snow ??
The closest comparable number isn't so much width or horsepower, but tons-per-hour. The Honda is rated to move 55 tons per hour and the Toro 57...pretty darn close.

Quote:
7) The shroud and the auger blade are larger on the Toro then the Honda, does this allow more snow to be collected and thrown?
Auger shape, speed, materials, etc. all probably contribute to the overall tons-per-hour spec.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #6 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
The Honda has the auto-choke system. It's on my HRX217 mower and it's great!
Actually, only the mowers have autochoke; the HS720 snowblowers all have a manual, push/pull choke knob.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #7 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Just for the sake of the choke discussion, I recently worked on a 7hp B&S, that had a thermostatically controlled choke. It had a rod that went across the engine, that linked to a sealed unit attached to the exhaust.

First time I had seen that, and it was 2011/12 troy built push mower.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
BMR

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The rubber seal around the base of the chute is a tight fit (probably too tight) and a squirt of silicone spray will do wonders.

All engines with carburetors need more fuel than air when starting up. Honda does this with a push/pull choke that blocks off air flow, but Toro does it having the operator push a primer bulb a few times to boost fuel. Both systems work fine.

The closest comparable number isn't so much width or horsepower, but tons-per-hour. The Honda is rated to move 55 tons per hour and the Toro 57...pretty darn close.

Auger shape, speed, materials, etc. all probably contribute to the overall tons-per-hour spec.

Thank you Robert for your reply, I was hoping that you would chime in, as your input is much appreciated. The only thing that bothers me about you assertion that we should just consider the number of 55 tons a minute, is that if you look at this video about the Honda HS520, the rating is also 55 tons a min.

How can it be that a previous machine with a 160cc engine that has less torque and horsepower can throw the exact same amount of snow as the new Updated HS720 with a 190cc engine that has more torque and more horsepower ???

Are the number changes ( HS 520 to HS 720 and the engine changes from 160cc to 190cc ) just marketing hype by Honda and Toro ( 621 to 721 ) to sell more machines even thought nothing significant has been done to them ?? I am a bit confused here. Could you please clarify. Is there even an advantage to having these newer machines with larger engines, if there is no appreciable difference in them ??

BMR
post #9 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1669
Likes (Received): 586
the 621 toro has a smaller motor rated at 6hp. there are a lot of company's that under rate there machines, 55 tons a minute would be under ideal conditions. with light fluffy snow you might move 55 tones of snow in a minute but not so in wet heavy snow

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #10 of 17 Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 130
I wouldn't get too caught up in the "tons per minute rating". As pointed out by Detdrbuzzard, "tons per minute" is a rating based on optimal snow conditions (light, fluffy, dry). My Honda HS928 also has a 50 ton per minute rating. Doesn't really mean much??? Same thing with the 33ft throw distance rating on the HS720. Yes, both my HS621 and HS520 will throw snow 33ft.... but only if the snow is light & dry and the discharge shoot is pointed directly forward. Same thing with the Toro 3650 (Two Cycle) Single Stage unit I sold a couple years back. Crank the chute all the way to the left or right and that 33ft throw distance is more like 20ft. Add a little moisture to the snow and the L/R throw distance is more like 15ft. Snow blower performance largely depends on snow conditions. Better conditions = better performance.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve

Last edited by Freezn; 10-28-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page