LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 10-27-2014, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Honda HS928 VS Ariens Pro Track 28"

So after not being able to get a good quote for my investment property for plowing ($80 per 3") being the only quote I was able to get. I have decided to just buy a second snowblower and keep one at the house... Anyhow...

I am down to two and scheduled for a test on the Honda HS928 tomorrow. The Ariens Professional Tracked 28" Hydro is the other.

So here is what I'm trying to figure out... Price is actually cheaper on the Honda vs the Ariens, as I believe that has a little bit to do with the 3 extra featuers the Ariens has over the Honda.
Ariens has:
Drift Cutters (not a big deal, I could make that myself)
Electric Heated Handlebars (I believe I can get a kit for around $80-$90 online)
14" Impeller (Thats where I need a little advice)

Here is what I can't figure out... I know the Ariens has a B&S 420cc 21 Lb Torque engine and has the bigger impeller. Logic would dictate that it should be able to handle more snow intake and output.

Now, the Honda in my mind is absolutely bulletproof. I know I'll be happy with it, and I can get one from my local dealer where I bought my mower. The only thing I'm hung up on is the potential for bogging down, as its a smaller enging 270CC 14 LB Torque. Every video I've seen with a honda, shows it shooting snow into the atmosphere, and I havnt seen a big bog down either...

The Ariens also has what I would call a sub-par track drive with "Locking" differentials... I don't like that design at all.
Can anyone help provide some clarity on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 10-27-2014, 05:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
I may be wrong, but one way to overcome the impeller size, is impeller speed. This would also explain the distance that you have observed in the videos.

That said, I think of the two philosophies of impeller design, and which is the better one, depends on your typical snowfall type.

The faster impeller design would probably be best for colder climes, with a more fluffy consistency. Where as the larger design, may work better with heavier and wetter snow and ice.

Both could do the job, without question. To me, it really comes down the question, do you want hand warmers or a better the track design? That said, there probably is a reason that the 928 has been around as long as it has, in a relatively unchanged form.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 44 Old 10-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
My advice: anyone that can buy a new Honda, should.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 44 Old 10-27-2014, 05:47 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
trust me, the hondas are the best. i dont personally own one but a neighbor down the street has one and it throws a good 40 feet. i would use these

post #5 of 44 Old 10-27-2014, 09:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 1
It would be very nice to see both of these models working at the same time in the snow… shooting from the hip I would say go for the Honda 928. As one other said proven design and it has been around for a long while. Are heated grips nice? Sure… but do they really get that warm? If you get that cold most people would walk inside or get in the truck to warm up, at least that’s what I do.
I am not sure of this but it sure seems like Hondas have a faster auger and impeller over other brands? Does anyone know for sure what give Hondas their advantage to throw so much snow so far?
I like ariens but have to give Hondas the credit, plus Hondas have better resale values.

Honda HS 828 (Shoe-less significant restoration)
Honda HS 1132 TAS (simple restoration)
Ariens ST7524E
post #6 of 44 Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 89
Likes (Received): 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclement View Post
Does anyone know for sure what give Hondas their advantage to throw so much snow so far?
I like ariens but have to give Hondas the credit, plus Hondas have better resale values.
Extra tight tolerance between the impeller and the auger housing account for the long distance snow discharge on Honda two stage snow blowers.

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #7 of 44 Old 10-28-2014, 07:46 AM
pfn

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 11
If I had to choose I would go with the Ariens less the tracks. I have a tracked Ariens Pro and I believe it is overkill. Wheels are much easier to turn and do a fine job and if it does slip throw on a set of chains and off you go. Save a little money and a lot of back pain, go trackless.

Last edited by pfn; 10-28-2014 at 07:49 AM.
post #8 of 44 Old 10-28-2014, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 765
I dont believe in the need for tracks, or chains!
unless you have a steep driveway..but if the driveway is basically flat, I dont see any use for tracks or chains..im using 44 year old original Ariens wheels in western NY snowfalls:

This will my 7th winter with that machine..No traction issues at all, ever..
Scot

post #9 of 44 Old 10-28-2014, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 2
Thanks for the replies! Ive actually seen a side by side comparison of the two... Its hard to tell on the video, plus the ariens was a non-tracked version. Also It seemed like the ariens was constantly trying to apply downpressure to keep it from riding up, where as the honda, it looked like he just let it go and barely kept his hands on the bars...

That right there is a great indicator that the bucket downforce and weight distribution is very good.

Im intrigued that a 14" impeller would be better for heavy snow over the 12" I think the faster it goes the faster it can break up and shoot it up and out. The Ariens certainly takes the cake in the torque department, but I have no idea as far as who is the winner in clearance and tollerances...

My buddy has a 24" Platinum and he says his never gets clogged up... I've witnessed it and its quite a machine, however, I will say that it struggles with the wheels on his steep driveway, and definitely bogs down in snow over 18" and heavy snow...

I will definitely see which one I'm more comfortable with, but I really couldn't care too much about the hand warmers.
post #10 of 44 Old 10-28-2014, 03:03 PM
q95

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
I just purchased a Platinum 24" SHO yesterday, it should arrive from the dealer on Monday. I've got my fingers crossed that we get LOTS & LOTS of snow this winter! I can't wait to use it, over & over. I went w/ the Platinum SHO over the Deluxe, mostly for the larger engine.

Good luck with your shopping!

Last edited by q95; 10-28-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page