Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS720 issues and vs. Toro 721

Hi.
New here but looking for some input.

I was set on buying a Toro 721 QZR snowblower this fall. Then I saw the Honda HS720AA about 5 weeks ago and ended up confused which to buy.

After owning Honda cars and currently owning a Honda HRX217 lawnmower I had decided I'd go with the Honda. There is a dealership I pass that sells both Honda & Toro. However, when I went into a dealership pretty much 90% sure I was buying the HS720 the dealer said they were having issues with vibration on them. That they vibrated so badly he called Honda and Honda said they know its an issue and for now the corrective action is to loosen the handle bolts up a bit. This fix seems oddly very "unHonda" like to me.

Has anyone else ran across this or heard about it ? I'm surprised to hear a Honda product getting to market with this type issue. Certainly factory testing would have addressed this I'd think.

Also, He said even if the Honda HS720 was vibration free, the Toro 721 does a better job at pulling itself through the snow and I'd be happier with it. That the Honda needs to be pushed more basically and the Toro will be itself across a bare driveway even. I had no idea they were that different. Thoughts on this also?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 05:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Mark-up on Hondas is very small compared to the other brands. I wouldn't be surprised if the sales person is giving you his ""word of advice""

Post this question in the HOnda forum: Honda Snowblowers - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
post #3 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 08:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 70
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 126
I'm sure "Robert from Honda" will chime in, but something just doesn't sound right with what that dealer told you. With the money spent on engineering and advanced testing, I can't believe a company like Honda would introduce a piece of equipment to the market with "vibration problems" and issue a dealer service bulletin to "loosen the handle bars as a temporary fix." Just sounds a little far fetched. Wonder if the dealer is on some kind of sales incentive program and is steering you towards the Toro. FYI. Both the Honda HS720 and the Toro 721 are very good machines. There's another thread comparing both machines about 10 or 15 threads down. You really can't go wrong either way. Good Luck!

2009 Honda HS928WAS
2005 Honda HS520AS
1996 Honda HS621AS
2012 Toro 1800 Power-Curve
post #4 of 13 Old 10-29-2014, 09:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Yeah, if anything, they are usually known for heir relative smoothness.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
I heard the same from local power equipment honda dealer about vibration issue on HS720CC ( canadian light commercial with GS190 engine), which is basically the same as 2015 720AM in US (less the engine GC vs GS). Apparently it is due to increased speed of the auger (claiming to throw 55 metric tons per hour).
I ended up finding a deal on new HS520 and went with 520 instead. They made them unchanged for 10 years or more then it must be good enough design.

Honda trying to match Toro 721 specs, but auger design is not holding up to higher speed and power. Vibrations are coming from rubber (where unsupported by steel auger) hitting the ground flat due to increased speed according to honda salesman causing vibrations..

He had no HS520 in stock, so it is not like he tried to sell out old stock first to me, but he said if I can find 520 it would be better, so I did.
post #6 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 11:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Over-tightening the 8mm handlebar nuts will indeed cause excessive vibration to the handlebar. Dealers have been advised to use a torque wrench set to 52 in-lbs when tightening the nut, and bingo, no vibration:

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #7 of 13 Old 10-30-2014, 08:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the tech tip Robert. I will try to use 52 in-lb on my HS520 handlebar bolts.
post #8 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 12:41 AM
BMR

Post Thanks / Like
I am curious what the tightness of the bolts has to do with the amount of vibration that is passed from the lower arms to the upper arms of the blower.

Does tightening them too tight cause the two bars to become more like one long bar and thus change the resonance frequency of the total bar to one that in concert with the engine causes the vibration? An interesting engineering question.

BMR
post #9 of 13 Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR View Post
I am curious what the tightness of the bolts has to do with the amount of vibration that is passed from the lower arms to the upper arms of the blower.

Does tightening them too tight cause the two bars to become more like one long bar and thus change the resonance frequency of the total bar to one that in concert with the engine causes the vibration? An interesting engineering question.

BMR
While I am not a mechanical engineer, those here at Honda who are tell me having the correct torque makes a difference on the measurable vibration felt by the operator at he handlebars.

Any countermeasure(s) besides the exact torque specification would not be implemented until production of these models resumes next summer. Watch this space for updates.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #10 of 13 Old 11-25-2014, 04:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Smile Honda HS720 issues and vs. Toro 721

Maybe Honda is implementing a new vibration fix now and that is why online sites report "this product is on hold from Honda due to manufacturing issues".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page