post #1 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
q95

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Wheels instead of Skids

I have seen 3-4 different posts that talk about or show pictures of an interesting (to me) modification. People have pulled off the skids and added wheels.

On a few, I have posted for more information. Mostly, where are the wheels from and additional pictures from the inside of the bucket. I think the main question is what wheel and sealed bearing they are using that they have had success with.

One guy said he bought his wheels at Home Depot, but I could only find assembled caster wheels. I didn't get a reply to model/item number specifics or a better description.

Today, a new member (RoyP) posted in a thread that was discussing Armor Skids that he has a new machine and may put wheels on it, like his older one.

So, I thought I'd start a new thread to get more specifics. Plus, maybe some feedback from anyone that tried wheels and went back to skids.

Note, I have a well insulated garage where I store my blower. It is not heated. However, almost all of the time, when I use my machine, all of the snow from the prior blowing has melted off (I hand clear the majority of the snow). So, I'm not overly worried about freeze/thaw, but it is probably one of the main issues to get more feedback from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
q95

Post Thanks / Like
I searched the internet and found some options (vs make my own).

MTD Roller Skid Snow Thrower Skid Shoe (Pair) | MTD Yard Machines 490-241-0038

They're on ebay and a few other sites. Not a lot of feedback or details in the specs.

Here's a slightly different product:

Does anyone have any experience/feedback with this type of product/modification?
post #3 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 332
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 750
I still dont understand why anyone would bother, when there is nothing wrong with skids.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 04:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
I can only see it might help in his situation as mentioned his blower melts away all snow and ice? otherwise the frozen wheels become skids and flat grinded.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #5 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 05:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
In a couple of places I've seen guys using wheels off of a push lawn mower. I kind of like the idea of the quick height adjustment.

-edit-
Here's one
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/o...ging-into.html

Last edited by Bob E; 10-30-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: added picture and link
post #6 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 07:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I'm guilty of having created a couple versions of the wheel-thing. Had a similar setup on a old yardman that worked for years. But I have to say, the only reason that I do this it because a have a couple gravel driveways, and a long brick sidewalk. Each of these require change the height during a single event.

If it wasn't for a need to make quick adjustments, I wouldn't bother with wheels. I think the biggest drawback is the additional width to the auger housing which can restrict the ability to cut through a bank..... as a result I'm contemplating creating a fender.... maybe.

post #7 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 09:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
I wish I had my old machine to show you the wheels that I had on it....using a angle iron (Home Depot) and the 1.5" swivel caster (home Depot) I mounted mine on the outside of the auger assembly......very little drag when going through the snow banks....there was absolutely no drag on the machine, except when you ran the wheel into the grass. That's to be expected. I have the Honda HS1132.....I will be putting casters on this as well.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 09:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 135
Thanks (Received): 267
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
I still dont understand why anyone would bother, when there is nothing wrong with skids.

Scot
Well, skids do wear down eventually. I'll more than likely never have any wheels on any of my blowers though. I made a set of skids this past summer to put on my Toro 521. Made 'em out of HDPE. There's some pics of them around here somewhere....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-10-30-21-25-22.png
Views:	191
Size:	822.1 KB
ID:	23761  

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #9 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 09:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Micah68kj: I like your skids....but aren't they going to wear now quickly. I had wheels on my old Wheelhorse......they were great....can't wait to put them on my Honda.....but I have to figure out what's wrong with the auger height peddle first.
post #10 of 23 Old 10-30-2014, 10:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Wheels keep coming around (no pun intended) but I don't get it. I don't see how they will much more than fancy ice encrusted skids when they are out there working in any kind of a serious storm. Also they they either need to be wide making for a lot of resistance or skinny providing poor support on tender surfaces. Keep it simple.

I will say that there are some clever looking retrofits shown above but knowing how ice packs onto cold machines I'll pass.

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page