LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
Shovels - what do you have?

While snowblowers do a majority of the work for us there is always going to snow in areas that the machine just can't get to, not enough snow to warrant the use of a machine, or worse, something breaks on the blower and you have to shovel the driveway by hand.
In all those cases, shovels are needed.

I'm curious as to what kinds of shovels you folks use and how many you have, do you opt for the cheapest one you can find or do you deal out extra coin for the higher grade product, and do you have different shovels for different types of snow?

Between me and my father, we have about 12 shovels that we use, or have used, for snow removal. Included in that are the standard aluminum shovels, the standard plastic shovels, a heavy duty steel shovel that has a 28 inch width on it, an aluminum scoop shovel, a short edging shovel to break any ice, and then the typical spades and transfer shovels.

The best one that I ever had, and still use, is a 15 year old plastic shovel that we bought at a local hardware store. I believe we paid only $20 for it, but it was built right...the plastic is very sturdy and durable, it's light weight, snow doesn't stick to it, and it's the perfect length. All the other shovels that we own seem to wear out after a couple seasons, particularly the aluminum ones. They get warped and dented. And it's not like we buy the cheapest ones we can find either.

Well that's my tribute to the topic. I'd like to here back from other members what they use, or had used in the past, and what works for them. Let hear it

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
I use a leaf blower instead of a shovel. I will shovel dirt, rock and crap. but I can not and will not shovel snow.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I do that too if I only a light covering of powdery snow

2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #4 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
I use that up to 3-4 inches.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 01:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 912
Wink

I have a Bonny shovel!

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 02:25 PM
pwm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
I just did a count. I have 5 shovels and a large scoop, plus 3 brooms. The shovels are steel, aluminum and plastic. Each has it's particular benefit and function. Plastic scrapes the concrete easiest with the least friction, steel is for chopping at frozen crap, aluminum is for actual shoveling since it's light and snow doesn't stick to it, and the large galvanized steel scoop is for moving large volumes of snow back from the driveway to create a wind brake. I don't pay top dollar for my plastic shovels since the blades wear down so fast on the concrete.

One needs various pieces of equipment to keep the driveway and walks clear. I take pride in keeping my concrete bare all winter.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 02:31 PM
pwm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
My bare concrete last March

This is from last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_2930.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	473.9 KB
ID:	23945  
post #8 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 77
Likes (Received): 34
Garage
My favorite shovel is an older plastic one. The wooden handle is a good length and sturdy at about 2" thick. The scoop is also heavey duty, dosen't flex at all but every year it wears down a little more. I bought a newer plastic one to replace it. Just like everything else new it is flimsy as ****. The handle is 1" and plastic, flexes like crazy, the scoop is also thin and flexes a lot. When I use that thing it feels like I'm wasting all of my energy flexing plastic back and forth rather than moving snow. I also have an old large square steel manure shovel that works great for cutting a new trail through old snow, a couple of small plastic snow shovels with telescoping handles for the cars and a small plastic shovel scoop (handle rotted and broke) that is older than I am. If I run into ice that the snow shovel can't easily chip up I just put rock salt on it.
I also have a broom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0887.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	23953  
post #9 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
My favorite shovel is an older plastic one. The wooden handle is a good length and sturdy at about 2" thick. The scoop is also heavey duty, dosen't flex at all but every year it wears down a little more. I bought a newer plastic one to replace it. Just like everything else new it is flimsy as ****. The handle is 1" and plastic, flexes like crazy, the scoop is also thin and flexes a lot. When I use that thing it feels like I'm wasting all of my energy flexing plastic back and forth rather than moving snow. I also have an old large square steel manure shovel that works great for cutting a new trail through old snow, a couple of small plastic snow shovels with telescoping handles for the cars and a small plastic shovel scoop (handle rotted and broke) that is older than I am. If I run into ice that the snow shovel can't easily chip up I just put rock salt on it.
I also have a broom
That's almost identical to the plastic shovel that I have, and that has lasted for 15 years. Nothing but quality

2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #10 of 26 Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 581
I'm on a 5# lifting restriction I'm not supose to use a shovel but its the only way to get the stairs and front porch clear of snow without dragging out the leaf blower

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page