Did MTD make my Craftsman? Cross-reference model # - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Did MTD make my Craftsman? Cross-reference model #

Hi everyone,
I have a 26 inch tracked Craftsman snow blower that I purchased new in the early 1990's. The machine is starting to show it's age at this point, so I assume a parts order may be in the future. With that in mind I would like to find the best prices on parts, and avoid the high cost of the sears website.
I will be in need of new belts and some extra shear pins.
Is there a way to cross reference the Sears model number to determine who the manufacturer was (I think it is MTD), and what other model number my machine has?
Also does anyone know what the generic part numbers are for the belts on my machine?

The Sears model # is : 536886281

Thank you,
Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 11:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 238
Thanks (Received): 280
Likes (Given): 2849
Likes (Received): 527
Hello and welcome to the forum Zack. The 536. of your model number indicates that your machine was built by Murray who is now owned by Briggs and Stratton. I found the parts list for your machine at searspartsdirect.com. CRAFTSMAN Snow Thrower Parts | Model 536886281 | SearsPartsDirect

The drive belt number is 579932.The auger belt number is 585417.

I hope this helps.

I believe your engine is a HMSK80-155478T and this is the service manual for it.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 11-06-2014 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Add engine link
post #3 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 32
Just type in the part #s, or type in the model #. Several sites will come up. Some better than others. One of the sites that Iuse is parts tree.com , or type in murray snowblower parts, and sites will come up. I just rebuilt a '95 24" murray, with the 8 hp Tec. I did not have the manual, but one of the sites had good parts diagrams, that were very helpful.
Sid
post #4 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Yea, if you google the Craftsman part numbers, most sites will sell those parts and list several alternative part numbers. You can try googling ever possible part number you see if you want to be thorough.

I agree with Grunt on the belt numbers.

Looks like the OEM drive belt is 3/8" x 33.1", but 3/8" x 33" is listed as a suitable replacement.

Looks like the auger belt is 17/32" x 36-1/2", you might have to order an OEM belt on that one, but I bet with some luck a 1/2" belt will work.

If you have something like a Tractor Supply Company close by they have a large selection of belts for around $5 - $10 depending on the size.

For belts (especially the auger drive) you want something like a Kevlar reinforced heavy duty high torque belt. Typical automotive belts will wear very quick.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.

Last edited by Shryp; 11-06-2014 at 03:02 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-06-2014, 05:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Welcome, and good thinking. My experience with Craftsman products has been that nearly every part, is just a little bit different than their counterpart. Sometimes this makes no difference, sometimes this makes all the difference. Belts and shear pins though, should be pretty boiler plate items.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-13-2014, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
Yea, if you google the Craftsman part numbers, most sites will sell those parts and list several alternative part numbers. You can try googling ever possible part number you see if you want to be thorough.

I agree with Grunt on the belt numbers.

Looks like the OEM drive belt is 3/8" x 33.1", but 3/8" x 33" is listed as a suitable replacement.

Looks like the auger belt is 17/32" x 36-1/2", you might have to order an OEM belt on that one, but I bet with some luck a 1/2" belt will work.

If you have something like a Tractor Supply Company close by they have a large selection of belts for around $5 - $10 depending on the size.

For belts (especially the auger drive) you want something like a Kevlar reinforced heavy duty high torque belt. Typical automotive belts will wear very quick.
Do you have any suggestions as to where I can buy the Kevlar belts?

Thanks,
Zack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page