LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Ariens is a sad story

We had our first big storm of the season overnight with a foot of heavy snow. Once again I only got part of my work done before my Ariens broke down. ( 11.5 hp/28"/ Pro model) I'm starting my 7th winter with it and it breaks down constantly. Last week my third traction lever cable broke...the spring shaft always breaks in the same place. Today the actual lever broke off...it had broken off previously and had been welded which lasted two or three years. Last year it cost me over $400 parts and labor to fix broken and worn internal components. The throttle lever won't stay up at maximum anymore and I have to use a small bungee cord to hold it in place or the engine tries to slow down to near idle speed. There's no end to it. Even the metal top control panel has cracked in two.
I did a lot of research before buying it and figured it was worth the extra $700-$1000 compared to some Sears or Canadian Tire offerings. Big disappointment. I'll probably keep nursing it along until I can spring for a Honda. From what a couple of non-sales people at the Ariens dealership are saying, a lot of people are talking about moving to another brand ( mostly Honda ) next time.
I think Ariens must have made better blowers years ago. They seem to have established a great reputation but the quality has gone to seed in the name of profit. Despite being about twice the cost this Ariens isn't worth a dime more than my old MTD which was always broken down too. Their name doesn't mean much anymore. Sad to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1642
Likes (Received): 579
hello billy, welcome to SBF!! with snow in your location its a bad time to have your blower down hope you get it repaired soon. I don't think any of the makers of snowblowers builds them like they use to

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 11:20 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Welcome to the forum, Billy. Hate to hear the bad stuff going on with your blower. That's gotta be a major bummer. We're here to help if we can.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 11:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 39
I ran a mtd 10/29 for years. Ended up with 2 Honda snowblowers from an estate sale. I kept the hs928 tcd for myself, sold the hs724 tcd to my buddy. Keep an eye out for sales and kijiji you may end up with a Honda sooner than you think. Never looking back.
post #5 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the commiseration gentlemen. At least I got enough snow moved to get my car out before I broke down. I've got a new lever on hand that I had ordered as a backup after the first one had to be welded. I'm off out to buy a lotto ticket...I'll buy a big honking Honda if I win.
post #6 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 02:00 PM
pwm

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
I feel your pain

I feel your pain Billy. I too spent $900 more to buy an Ariens Pro 28 over the Craftsman 30" which was my original choice. Both had the 420cc motor which I wanted. I bought the Ariens based on their reputation for quality and decided to spend more money for it. 50% more in fact!

The Ariens was DOA. It leaked oil all over my new garage floor after the first start up, so I took it back to Home Depot and bought the Craftsman. Never did get a chance to use it.
post #7 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Throttle control lever sneaking down is common enough problem on Tecumseh engines (along with a whole host of other problems) The snowblower itself is built heavier and a little more elegantly than say a Craftsman/Husqvarna/Murray but still suffers from the same basic design flaws. I've probably worked on just about everything built in the last 25 years with the exception of those oddball MTD 4wd units Canadian tire sold for about 1 year about 15 years ago. If you truly want something better it's Honda or Yamaha.
post #8 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
ALOHA to the forms..: cool::co ol:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 56 Old 11-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Must of been a lemon, every brand has them...

My neighbor has 3 ariens he uses during the winter to blow driveways all over town for about 12 people and never had any major problems and 2 of them are over 5 years old... The day I bought mine he came over and looked at it and said, "You bought the best young fella, for the price you can't beat an Ariens"

He loves them and from the looks of it wants to buy another one like my deluxe 28
Every brand makes a lemon but everyone in this neighborhood owns an Ariens and all love them, just seen 3 new ones pass the house in the last week being delivered

Sucks to hear about your issues though but besides a Honda and maybe Toro, can't beat an Ariens
post #10 of 56 Old 11-09-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It is a lemon alright, but like I said, even some guys at the dealership are saying off the record that they're hearing a lot of negative feedback about Ariens. They're just as good as most of the other brands out there but you pay a premium price which gives you nothing more. I think they are probably decent as long as they don't have to work too hard. But where I live we get big storms with heavy snow and I've got a big area to clear. But remember, I bought the 'Pro' model with an 11.5 hp engine. For nearly $2500 after taxes this machine should be up to the task and clearly it is not. When you have to keep replacing control cables because the springs break, obviously the part is sub-standard quality. Same story for a traction lever that breaks off and a control panel that splits from the operator pushing against it. Ridiculous! Also, mine has the Tecumseh engine and I've had a few of them on various machines. In my opinion they damage themselves as well as a lot of other components because of excessive vibration.
I was an Ariens fan for about the first season and a half I had mine. It's been all downhill ever since. No testimonial will impress me unless I see with my own eyes what conditions the machine has been working in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page