Did a good deed, and even had a little fun. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Did a good deed, and even had a little fun.

So Ms. Liftoff decided last night she wanted to get some misc Christmas things for the house at the local big box store. As we are walking to the store, there are normally a dozen or so snowblowers cabled off to the columns of the building. Last night, there was only 2. We both chuckled and commented about the impending 8" -12" of snow we are "suppose" to get and that the word must be out.

As we walk in the store, there is a elderly couple looking at the snowblowers with a store employee. At a quick glance they appeared to be overwhelmed. I went with my wife to help her get what she needs, then she say's she wants to look at this, or that. (my clue to get lost). I tell her, "you know where I will be".

As I wonder over to the snowblower area, the elderly couple, (Jim and Liz) now on their own, appears to be at one of those cross roads of life. As I walk buy, I say "getting ready for the coming snow". Jim says, "you know anything about these". To which I say, "Yea, a little, I have 4 of them at home". At that point I think Liz let out a sigh of relief. So we struck up a conversation about what he should purchase. They where looking at a Husqvarna ST 230 P. 291 cc engine, 30" bucket, very comparable to my deluxe 30. He asked me if this is a good machine. I told him I was not very familiar with the Husky line up but I would be willing to help him learn.

By now the store employee comes back with another guy and states he is going home but Clyde knows everything there is to know about snowblowers and would be able to help with any question he has. Now there is the 4 of us standing around the Husky, and Clyde (not his real name) tosses out the ol "should we write it up so you can take it home?" line. Jim says, "well, I have my consultant here and I want his opinion". Clyde now looks at me, to which I ask, "how large is the impeller? and is the auger greaseable?" Ol Clyde's jaw about hit the floor. I asked Clyde if he know what I spoke of, and he admitted he knows zero point sh1t about snowblowers, that he is normally in hardware. I told Clyde that I thought you knew it all as per the guy that went home, and Clyde states, "not sure why he said that". By now I can see Jim and Liz are seeing that this could be a mistake but being he is running outta options he may have no choice. Before we know it there are 3 employee's standing with us (must have been a slow night) and I ask each one of them the same questions and no one could answer it. I had them stepp'n and fetch'n, Jim and Liz even getting a chuckle outta that, which I think at this point they needed a laugh. Keep in mind that the impeller appeared smaller than mine, so I was assuming it was a 12" and I could not see any grease zerks on the auger, but I want to drive hope the point these guys did not know the product they are selling.

By now I'm getting the look from my wife and I tell Jim and Liz, good luck with their decision, that for the situation they are in, with snow on the way, it was no Ariens, Toro, or Honda, but it would not bad a purchase. I gave him my cell number, and told him to call me that I would haul it home for him (based on all the talking we did, they do not live far from me, and have no way to get this thing home) I think Jim would have gone with an Ariens, but the box store that carries them was cleaned out and our local dealer is not open on Sunday.

I kinda wanted to see this thru for Jim and Liz, as they where both getting comfortable with me helping them. Will be interesting to see if he calls me, as I think Jim was going to take the night to think about dropping $1,100. Don't blame him for that. It was 8:30 and they had 4 of those still on the floor.

So, this got me thinking:
I wonder how many people are like Jim and Liz, knowing they want a snow blower, but not sure what they are buying. Big ticket impulse purchase
Big box stores are just trying to move inventory not knowing what they are "selling". Being in sales myself, and having a moral compass, this bothers me.

All in all, I think Jim will get a good blower if he pulls the trigger. Could he do better? yea I think so. Could he do better before the snow hits? not really sure.

Sorry this got drug out.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 568
What you should have done is lend him one of yours so he could get the feel and it would have given him time to find what he really needs. Since you were going to haul the new one to his house, why not haul one of yours, or do you use all 4 at a time.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 376
Likes (Received): 923
My neighbor (73 yrs old) just bought a new "big box".blower. I didn't have the heart to tell him it was pretty much a throw away blower. I asked him what made hime decide to go with that particular brand and it was all about the credit. He could make low, easy payments on it. He doesn't know a thing about it. I am going to offer to set it up for him. Get the skids and scraper bar etc set up properly. (My sig)

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
What you should have done is lend him one of yours so he could get the feel and it would have given him time to find what he really needs. Since you were going to haul the new one to his house, why not haul one of yours, or do you use all 4 at a time.
Good point, I don't use them all at the same time. I have been running thru a lot of "I should have done this, or said that" scenarios.

Mainly, I should have gotten his number so I could bounce other idea's off him.

Ended up being a pretty neat old couple, just trying to make life easier on them. Having aging parents myself, it all kinda struck a personal note to me.

post #5 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Get the skids and scraper bar etc set up properly. (My sig)
If Jim ends up calling me, I figure I would bring my .125" aluminum shims and set the scraper bar for him, as I'm sure he has no idea how all that works.

I can see spending an hour or so with him teaching this or that on it. I did see the engine is LCT, same as my ariens, as I kinda suspected last night.

post #6 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:29 AM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 568
Is it the Husky with tracks or just basic?

Last edited by Coby7; 11-09-2014 at 09:43 AM.
post #7 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1652
Likes (Received): 583
jim was lucky that you were at the store same time as he was in several ways, I thank you for helping him. like jim when I got my first snowblower I didn't know anything about them except I needed one and I wanted a 5hp motor, my lawn mower had a 5hp motor so I figured my snowblower should have the same hp as the lawn mower. the only snowblower available was a powerlite

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #8 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coby7 View Post
Is it the Husky with tracks or just basic?
Wheeled machine. Has heated hand grips, remote chute, little triggers to engage both wheels. 6 forward and 1 reverse. AC electric start.

post #9 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
jim was lucky that you were at the store same time as he was in several ways, I thank you for helping him. like jim when I got my first snowblower I didn't know anything about them except I needed one and I wanted a 5hp motor, my lawn mower had a 5hp motor so I figured my snowblower should have the same hp as the lawn mower. the only snowblower available was a powerlite
I had the discussion with Jim about driveway size, getting a blower with enough power to throw the snow once to clear the drive. Worked thru the difference between single and two stage. Told him to stay away from Troy Built, MTD, (all the usual suspects). We covered allot of ground, (pun intended)

Ms Liftoff said I should go into blower sales, LOL

post #10 of 31 Old 11-09-2014, 10:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Great story Liftoff! That kinda of happened to me at my local Orange big box store. A woman was looking at snowblower like the one I bought. After the salsesman walked away for a minute I started a conversation with her about the unit. She asked me "do you know much about these" I said "yes, a little." I told her I purchased the same unit about a week ago and have been going thru mine. I told her about going thru all the hardware and make sure it was tight and etc.... After a few more minutes conversation, I could see that she was in the same boat that I was as far as cost and limited budget. She decided to buy it. I told her it comes on a pallet in a box and hopefully she has a truck to bring it home in. Which is when the sales guy came back and I stepped aside and let her do her dealings. The woman thanked me for my assistance with the unit. Then I was on my way about my business. Now, on to the plumbing department!

Ariens Platinum SHO 24" Armored Up!
Toro S-620
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page