LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Troy-built Vortex 3x or Cub-Cadet 3x?

hey trying to search reviews for the Troy-built Vortex 2490 vs Cub Cadet 3x24swe both 24 inch versions.

Any opinions when coming to both companies or these specific snow blowers. Basically had to return my 24 inch 2xcub cadet we version cause the Chute was just crap.

So trying to make a decision on these two they are both around a thousand, troy built is a littler cheaper. I'm completely new to snow blowers so dont know which brand is better overall.

Any help would be great thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
The machines are basically identical except for paint.
both are made by MTD.
Cub Cadet and Troy-Bilt snowblowers havent been different for many decades.
All MTD's are essentially the same, just painted up for different brand names.

if there are any differences, they will be minor things like different dash panel layouts and perhaps slightly different "styling"..
but for the same size and HP rating, the guts of the machine will be essentially identical, no real differences to speak of.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 910
I'm betting they rolled off the same assembly line. Different paint booth.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #4 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 06:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
other than the reflective stripes on the Troybilt, it looks like the Cub Cadet has a longer warranty 3year / 5 year auger gearbox vs the Troybilt 2/4

but... I don't see a 26" Troybilt, just a 24 - 28 - 30

http://www.cubcadet.com/equipment/cu...ge-power/3X-26

http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/tr...er-vortex-2890
post #5 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
leaning towards the cub cadet 3x...probably from home depot. Think its too much for NJ?, last year seems like it would have been perfect machine. I know once I spend the money on it, its not going to snow
post #6 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
vv132 - based on the warranty, I would go for the CC.

here's my story - Last year I needed a new snowthrower to replace an aging yardman that worked great for many years but I started to help some neighbors with their driveway and sidewalk and therefore needed something with more umph!

I saw the CC3x rated highly at the snowblowersdirect and Consumer Reports. So.. I went to Depot and bought one. Not a lot of investigation on my part.

After that I wandered over to this site and found many of the people here that know tons about snowthrowers and fixing things that I can't imagine how. And, many recommend Ariens, Honda, and Toro. Based upon what they know I would consider them seriously. I may have chosen something different if I came here first. But my old Yardman was an MTD too, as is my Toro tractor and they worked great.

In many cases the other brands cost a bit more than what I paid and the CC3x works for me. Will I regret it in the future, who knows? Would another one be better maybe? but for now it works. It would be great if you could rent one for a day or 2 and try them all, but that wouldn't guarantee a long life without problems.

Finding somebody to service these things is important. It might be worth your while to look at a local dealer for other models and see what they think. Would they service whatever you purchase?

My biggest take-away from the information here is that bad gas and cheap oil will kill anything. Use the highest octane gas, a stabilizer - either seafoam or stabil blue marine. Toss any gas that has been sitting in your snowthrower over the summer before starting and add fresh. And use a synthetic like Mobil 1 at your first 5 hour oil change.

And the other take-away is that these guys have a bunch of snow throwing wisdom ... I'm just a tourist. Hopefully my CC3x will continue to work well. And many years of fun with whatever you choose.

Last edited by J_ph; 11-11-2014 at 07:20 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Hi J_ph, I just wanted you to know the MTDs of the 90's were of very good quality and almost as much as Ariens, Toro. I won't put Honda here as it is very different and so is the price. MTD changed their course afterwards to satisfy a lower price point and the build quality reflected that, but hey if one cares for any machinery with proper oil, greasing the important parts and most important not pushing the blower too hard and not hitting the bucket on anything hard, it should give good service for many years.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2014, 08:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 910
Back in the day MTD machines wer pretty decent. I always considered them a good, basic, no frills machine back then. I remember buying a snowblower back in the early 90s. It was an MTD 8/24. I ran it for 18 years and not one problem. There were a few winters I worked that thing like a rented mule too. Seems over the years'every company has lost ground.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Hey first THANK YOU ALL for replying, especially j_ph, that was very thoughtful and I am in the same boat as you were so I thank you for your honest response. I also read the consumer reports and they rated the 3x cub cadet pretty well (even though there was NO snow when they rated it) Yea I'm still up in the air now between the cub cadet 24 SWE has power steering 2 x model or the cub cadet 24 3x swe. Price difference is about 350 just for that extra auger and heated handles. I plan on changing the oil and doing as much maintenance to keep this thing going. I want a snow blower because I think it will save money in the long run compared to paying a snow plow guy to come(at whatever time he wants), charging a lot of money(to me at least), and creating a great white wall near the end of the garage.

so one main question If I go with the 3x cub cadet will it struggle to pick up snow 2"-6" I read that a couple places here and a snowblower review site I don't remember the name now. If it can handle the 2-6 inches then I might just shell out the extra 350.

thanks again
V
post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
I want a snow blower because I think it will save money in the long run compared to paying a snow plow guy to come(at whatever time he wants), charging a lot of money(to me at least), and creating a great white wall near the end of the garage.
That is exactly where I was.. snow left in front of the garage around cars etc. I would spend more time with a shovel than I do now with the snowthrower. So without regard to what you choose I think you will be happier with the better job that you do. I'm not a cheerleader for the 3x, it's just what I happen to have. The biggest thing for me with this snowthrower and probably with anything similar in size is being able to muscle through the stuff at the street/curb left by the town trucks and in that regard it works. My back is not getting any younger

As for the little amount of snow, the 3x likes a bit of snow to throw. But my old smaller unit did too. I would just push it forward and gather snow in the box before engaging the auger if I needed to throw it further.

I'd be interested in hearing from other 2 stage units, if they handle 2-3 inches better. Once you get up to 6 inches that should be plenty for anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in