Advice Needed on Purchasing a Used Snowblower - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Question Advice Needed on Purchasing a Used Snowblower

Hey Everybody,

I recently moved from Massachusetts to the Lakes Region of New Hampshire and after doing so I bought myself a Toro 724 snowblower on Craigslist in preparation of the harsh winters we experience up here. The problem is I had never had to purchase a snowblower before and kind of winged the whole process. The end result is I ended up with a fine snowblower for light to medium snow but once it really starts to come down or is wet the machine just cannot keep up and tends to clog not to mention it really does not throw the snow as far as I envisioned it would. Therefore I would really like to buy another used snowblower but this time one that is capable of handling the heavier and wet snow we oftentimes get up here. My question for you fine folk here is can anyone recommend a particular brand or model of snowblower I should be looking for? I am kind of on a budget so I am looking for something budget friendly that offers me the best value for my money.

Thank you in advance

~George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
ok.. I'm kind of partial to older Ariens so my opinion: mid 70's to 80+.. 8hp-24" I know that's getting quite old but trust me on this- if everything is up to par, they will handle anything dumped on them. Of course you need to look them over good and/or be willing to fix or replace any wear areas as 40 years definitely going to show some things needing replaced- but you'll have a work horse at fraction of a new one. They came with tec engines so pay close attention to clean oil and proper level.
post #3 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 11:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Send a message via AIM to SteelyTim
Hi George,

That Toro should do the job fine, but you might have a worn out auger bearing. Been my experience that a worn auger bearing is the reason older Toros won't toss snow.

To check it, disconnect the spark plug first (SAFETY FIRST!!), and then with the machine not running (obviously ), stick your hand down the chute and grab the auger shaft. See if you can wiggle it up and down or side to side.

If it needs replacement, it's a cheap part but an awful job to do. Usually you have to heat the old ones cherry red and beat them off with a sledge. Fortunately, it's a job you only have to do once every 20 years or so
post #4 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 11:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
George it is very normal for any snow blower not to toss the snow far and clog with heavy wet snow and you have to set it in a slow gear to not lugging the engine. Fortunately there is a kit called Clarence Impeller kit which closes the gap between the end of your impellers and the round housing. You will see a difference like night and day it will throw farther with any snow and will never clog. The kit sells for around $35.00 plus shipping (I believe $10).
All in all it is a lot cheaper than buying another used snow blower.

Images
https://www.google.ca/search?q=clare...g&ved=0CCkQsAQ

Where you can get the kit
http://smllengns.tripod.com/

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.

Last edited by Normex; 11-14-2014 at 11:40 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 11:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
Lots of us here just make our own impeller kit out of f baler belt or other durable material.

SNOWBLOWER IMPELLER KIT

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
install an impeller kit. if needed, replace the bushing, but keep a few in stock as they are cheap and they will stop selling parts for these machines. strangely enough, my 824 is from 1986 and has never had it replaced
post #7 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 02:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
In addition to the impeller mod and checking the bearings and bushings, also check the belts. The auger belt might be completely worn out or it might just be loose and need tightened. Also, if you have a tachometer make sure the engine is running around 3600 RPM. The springs tend to stretch over time and the engines slow down. You can adjust them faster, but if you go past 3600 you will damage the engine. The last thing to do would be to sand the chute nice and smooth and repaint it if it is rough and rusty.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 02:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1168
which size 7-24 is it post pic's so I can see. I will admit some of those 7-24's are not meant for that heavy wet stuff that drops out of the sky. ALOHA to the forms.:c ool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Welcome to the forum George03246 and happy birthday to 43128

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #10 of 11 Old 11-14-2014, 08:43 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
thanks kiss4afrog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page