"Snow Beast" On Sale and Discontinued - worth buying? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-14-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 5
"Snow Beast" On Sale and Discontinued - worth buying?

I'm looking at other models of snowblowers, and using the advice on here to make a decision. When checking out some models tonight, I saw that the brand "Snow Beast" models are all on significant discount sales on the sears website. The prices are substantially cheaper than anything else. I couldn't locate a lot of reviews, but the reviews I could find suggested real concerns with these models. In addition, these snowblowers are now listed on some websites as being discontinued.

My thinking is to avoid these models, but thought I would post here for any feedback on this particular model.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1654
Likes (Received): 583
I don't think anyone here would be looking at a snow beast snowblower and you shouldn't be looking at them either ( jmho ) if you are going to buy some off brand snowblower make sure you can get parts for it

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #3 of 16 Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 781
Hi Keen,
welcome to the forum!
this topic has come up many times before..so I will simply copy and paste my reply from some previous posts! (its easier than typing it all out again)

yes, some names like MTD and Craftsman are "good"..but some are just "good" while others are actually "better than good"..Its like with cars..Its just a fact that a new Honda is a much more reliable and higher-quality machine than a new Chrysler or Kia..with cars, snowblowers, and many other things, they all "look the same" at a casual glance, but there are genuine differences in quality once you dig deeper. Personally I would put snowblower brands into three tiers:

Best, highest quality, can last 40 years easily:

Ariens
Toro
Honda
Briggs brands: (Briggs & Stratton, Simplicity, Snapper, Brute)

I would only choose from the above four manufacturers, if buying new.
Although Toro moved their 2-stage production to Mexico, so I personally would no longer buy a new Toro for that reason alone..although the actual impact on quality is unknown.

"Good", probably fine, for 5 to 10 years, but not as good, and wont last as long as the above names:

Any MTD (Cub Cadet, Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines, and some others.)
Any Craftsman.
Husquvarna and Poulan.

Never ever buy..ever.. all the 100% Chinese brand names, these names have documented cases of very poor quality..some of them have been discussed by people in this forum, who bought one before understanding what they were buying..the reviews are not at all good..never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never never buy one of these:

Echelon
Huskee
Mansfield
Powerland
powRcraft
Snow Beast
Snow Joe
Stanley
World Lawn

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-14-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Elt31987 liked this post
post #4 of 16 Old 11-14-2014, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
The huge reason not to buy the really unknown china models is they might only make them for a couple years and then totally discontinue them. Totally means you have a three, four, five ... year old machine that breaks a part and the part is not available. They were made to sell cheap and they was never any thought put into support for the machines after sale. That's the reason in case of a failure during warranty you are more likely to get an exchange machine than a part.

I ran into this when I worked at a store that sold china 4 wheelers. If the drive chain or whatever broke we would either exchange the machine or do a refund as even we couldn't get through to anyone who could send us replacement parts. Their 1-800 number printed inside the manuals would ring forever but no one ever answered.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #5 of 16 Old 11-15-2014, 12:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 144
Thanks (Received): 274
Likes (Given): 379
Likes (Received): 926
Never even heard of a snow beast. If I were you I'd pass. Take Scot's advice. Maybe you might consider Husqvarna as well.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #6 of 16 Old 11-15-2014, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
Thanks guys - I'll skip this one.

I'm keeping an eye out for an Ariens/Toro/Honda, but new they are out of my price range.

I have it narrowed down to three: A new Briggs and Stratton 305cc 29" $1099; A little used Troy Bilt 357cc 33" (new $2100, used price asking $1000); A new MTD Pro ($1049).
post #7 of 16 Old 11-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Home Depot carries snow beast and I think it's the same as the Stanley machine but I haven't really looked into it.

Snow Beast 36 in. Commercial 420 cc Two-Stage Electric Start Gas Snow Blower-36SBM15FA at The Home Depot

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 16 Old 11-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1163
Quote:
Originally Posted by pckeen View Post
Thanks guys - I'll skip this one.

I'm keeping an eye out for an Ariens/Toro/Honda, but new they are out of my price range.

I have it narrowed down to three: A new Briggs and Stratton 305cc 29" $1099; A little used Troy Bilt 357cc 33" (new $2100, used price asking $1000); A new MTD Pro ($1049).
you can find good used ones out there.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 16 Old 11-15-2014, 07:10 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 568
Since you're Canadian you might want to look at Yamaha, I don't know how big of a yard you have to clean but they have cut back their prices drasticly from last year. They sell a YT624, a YS1028 and a YS1232. The YS1232 is a monster and even with steering assist I'm not heavy or strong enough to handle it. I just recently purchased a YT624 to replace my 30 year old YS524 and have yet to try it because of lack of snow. It's about $1100 cheaper than the equivalent HOnda with manual chute and manual pull start.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...aha-yt624.html

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''

Last edited by Coby7; 11-15-2014 at 07:13 PM.
post #10 of 16 Old 11-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Received): 35
I don't know parts availability of Snow Beast but most of the parts are still available for my 70's Ariens and that's part of what makes it last all that time.

edit: That Snow Beast pic above sure looks sexy but someone recently told me you can put dresses on a pig, but it's still a pig.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page