LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
24" Snow Blower Recommendation

I have been reading here lately and figured I would join this great community. I am also looking to purchase my first snow blower. First a few details. I have a 2 car driveway - 21' x 75' long. It has a flat section and an incline. I have borrowed neighbors snow blowers in the past and have been able to use on the incline with just wheeled units, no tracks or chains. Although it can be some work to control the snow blower on the incline, depending on the conditions.

I live in central PA and we either get hit we a few inches or a nor'easter which dumps 1-2 feet of snow. Most snow blower used around the neighborhood are 2-stage. I expect to use the same and will get some exercise in and shovel with the light coating events.

The two units that I am thinking about is the Ariens 24" compact - model number 920021 or Cub Cadet 524-SWE. Both are $800 at Home Depot.

I have read a lot about the makers of these and know most prefer the Ariens over CC made by MTD. A couple of things keep the CC in the running. First, the shoot control. Second the zero-turn power steering. I just don't know if both of these will actually be a plus and make me buy the unit over the higher regarded Ariens.

If money was no object I would look for to maybe a Honda or another manufacture. However it is and $800 is pushing it in terms of budget. Maybe there is a lower cost model you would recommend based on my requirements.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your review and reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
Welcome to the forum LaskoFan

"I live in central PA and we either get hit we a few inches or a nor'easter which dumps 1-2 feet of snow."

Might want to consider adding a location to your profile so it pops up under your username when you post. Some times location is pretty important to an answer.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 03:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Welcome Laskofan.

I would recommend going to a dealer.

I have a neighbor (Mike) that purchased a snow blower from a big box story 2 weeks ago. Got it home and left it sit in the garage till Monday when we received our first snow fall of the season, 12" wet heavy snow. Well, Ol' Mike fired up his brand spanking new box store blower, and it would not run for crap. I'm no wrench, but to me he has major carb issues, and no where to go for service. Something to think about Laskofan.

With that being typed, of the two you list, I would go Ariens based on quality alone. Sounds like you did your research on CC/MTD, good job. Ultimately this is your decision based on funds and convenience for you.

Might be a little to late in the season (I know it is here being we now have snow), but look at CL, unless big box store financing is part of the equation as well. I would look for a good used ariens deluxe 24, with cash in hand.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #4 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Welcome to the forum LaskoFan

"I live in central PA and we either get hit we a few inches or a nor'easter which dumps 1-2 feet of snow."

Might want to consider adding a location to your profile so it pops up under your username when you post. Some times location is pretty important to an answer.
Thanks for the welcome and tip - location has been added.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftoff1967 View Post
Welcome Laskofan.

I would recommend going to a dealer.

I have a neighbor (Mike) that purchased a snow blower from a big box story 2 weeks ago. Got it home and left it sit in the garage till Monday when we received our first snow fall of the season, 12" wet heavy snow. Well, Ol' Mike fired up his brand spanking new box store blower, and it would not run for crap. I'm no wrench, but to me he has major carb issues, and no where to go for service. Something to think about Laskofan.

With that being typed, of the two you list, I would go Ariens based on quality alone. Sounds like you did your research on CC/MTD, good job. Ultimately this is your decision based on funds and convenience for you.

Might be a little to late in the season (I know it is here being we now have snow), but look at CL, unless big box store financing is part of the equation as well. I would look for a good used ariens deluxe 24, with cash in hand.
I have located and Ariens dealer near me and will give them a call/visit next week. From looking at their site, they sell the same model numbers. Is there any difference with the unit itself or just to get a relationship started for service and support before and after the sale? I assume the latter. What is the likelihood that they would be able to beat the big box stores pricing?

As expected, CL has pretty slim pickings at this point. I'll keep my eye out for something from CL going forward.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1655
Likes (Received): 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaskoFan View Post
I have located and Ariens dealer near me and will give them a call/visit next week. From looking at their site, they sell the same model numbers. Is there any difference with the unit itself or just to get a relationship started for service and support before and after the sale? I assume the latter. What is the likelihood that they would be able to beat the big box stores pricing?

As expected, CL has pretty slim pickings at this point. I'll keep my eye out for something from CL going forward.
if the price at the dealer is the same as the big box store I would get it at the dealer. there would have to be a big difference in price for me to buy from the big box store

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 147
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 380
Likes (Received): 929
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/for/4754215684.html
Welcome to the forum, neighbor.
Just down the road from you... Little south of Chambersburg.
Maybe this one?

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #8 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaskoFan View Post
I have been reading here lately and figured I would join this great community. I am also looking to purchase my first snow blower. First a few details. I have a 2 car driveway - 21' x 75' long. It has a flat section and an incline. I have borrowed neighbors snow blowers in the past and have been able to use on the incline with just wheeled units, no tracks or chains. Although it can be some work to control the snow blower on the incline, depending on the conditions.

I live in central PA and we either get hit we a few inches or a nor'easter which dumps 1-2 feet of snow. Most snow blower used around the neighborhood are 2-stage. I expect to use the same and will get some exercise in and shovel with the light coating events.

The two units that I am thinking about is the Ariens 24" compact - model number 920021 or Cub Cadet 524-SWE. Both are $800 at Home Depot.

I have read a lot about the makers of these and know most prefer the Ariens over CC made by MTD. A couple of things keep the CC in the running. First, the shoot control. Second the zero-turn power steering. I just don't know if both of these will actually be a plus and make me buy the unit over the higher regarded Ariens.

If money was no object I would look for to maybe a Honda or another manufacture. However it is and $800 is pushing it in terms of budget. Maybe there is a lower cost model you would recommend based on my requirements.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your review and reply.

you might think this is an avant garde answer but my suggestion is- get a tractor with a plow for the deep snows. you get to sit and steer, and it's not a workout like a snowblower will be. you also have precise control as to where the snow is being pushed, rather than being blown into the winds and landing wherever. no danger of tossing rocks, etc. into cars or homes or people.
having said that, if you decide a snowblower is the thing ticket regardless, your biggest challenge and any snowblower's nemesis and arch enemy, is the slush and plowed in packed snow at the edge of driveway, put there by your friendly city, township, borough, or state snowplow when they do the roads.
to cut through that stuff you'll need at least 8HP and preferably 10-12hp if you can afford a machine that size new.
the first time I ran a snowblower is was a 5hp/26 and it was a real dog, and got clogged and stalled constantly, it was underpowered.
the next one I tried was a 7/24 and being a lighter machine worked much better but that too will bog down in heavy snow or at least slow down
IMHO 8Hp is the entry level for Pa. USA winters and a 22-24" front chute will be allow easy turns and getting between cars and on sidewalks. huge machines are nice but they are also harder to operate and turn in a tight driveway.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #9 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1168
ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-15-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Snowblower
Welcome to the forum, neighbor.
Just down the road from you... Little south of Chambersburg.
Maybe this one?
Thanks for the tip Joe - really appreciate it. Looks great but unfortunately it is already sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page