LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 11-16-2014, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
need help picking a blower

So i think i have it narrowed down to either ariens, husqvarna, or honda. Price is a bit of an issue i honestly don't know what im able to get because im talking my dad into them

Anyways husqvarna has what appears to be some good deals, im seeing hydrostatic 27'' for only $1600, but ive read on here that ariens/honda are best and husqvarna is good/normal and lumped next to mtd ect, my question is why? doesn't the husqvana use the same motor as ariens?

Next issue, this ariens zero turn feature, how well does it work? I think i read some issues where it fights you as your going, because whenever the wheel slips it basically thinks your trying to turn??? that sounds like a major pain in the butt....

lastly, honda, but dam are they expensive, worse yet, they lack alot of the features unless you pony up even more cash....damit honda why u do this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
oh and did i read somewhere ariens track drives can't be lubricated and freeze up???

The ariens models are so funky its like you have to give stuff up to gain things, like the sho models no track drives, or u go track drives u get a loud brigs motor ect, the deluxe models have tiny 250cc motors, its like there's no ideal snow blower through them
post #3 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 06:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 188
I'm needing prices and models to help out. Prices do vary and it would help us if we
knew what exact models you are looking at. It was hard for me to choose between the Airens Deluxe 24 and Husqvarna 924HVX. In the end I ended up with the 924HVX. I saved over $300. For me the B&S engine and heavy duty levers on the 924 swayed me. I have no experience with a non B&S engines and the odd chute controls on the Airens turned me off. I looked at spares prices also. The springs for my traction & auger levers are $3-4 bucks. Most all the parts on the Husqvarna chassis are the same across the entire line so the spares pricing is very reasonable. Most all the guys here love Airens and Honda, and I appreciate that, and as I said it was very hard to decide. If you have a good Toro dealer they are worth a look also.
post #4 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
what bugs me is i keep running into little quirks that i keep reading, and every brand has quirks, i start looking, see a quirk, get turned off, research another, same dam thing happens. I keep hearing how good ariens is but then i read about the zero turn problems, plastic gears, ect....

basically i think i want something with a bigger motor than the deluxe 28 for sure, i want to make sure i don't have any issues with throw distance, right now i have a single stage honda but that thing is horrible. I have to work it hard just to get it to start throwing, once it does it only throws it about 6-10 feet so practically useless.

my other concern is i read some snow blowers have trouble getting close to the pavement, how do i tell which ones those are? i read single stage goes close but im talking 2 stagers.

for price i know i have at least $1600 to work with, how much more, not sure

Is there anything i need to know about the ariens models, besides what they list on their website, im sure u guys know the in's and outs of them pretty good, the website basically lists like 2 or 3 extra features between each step up in grades

id still like more information on husqvarna as well if possible thx
post #5 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Welcome Billy Bob and your Goat. I have a couple of questions that that may help narrow down your choices. First, where are you located? Second, what is the driveway, sidewalks, etc., required to snow blow like? Are they flat, size, etc.? I will not be able to help much as I'm struggling with the same but I know that does come into play.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 09:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
For the poor performance on your Honda it sounds like the belt is slipping or the rubber paddles are worn out.

Single stage models use rubber that touches the ground so they clean real well. 2 stage models use metal that rides above the ground so they can leave some snow behind. You can adjust them to scrape the ground, but the scraper bar will wear our faster.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
we r in wisconsin on a hill, 2 car driveway with sidewalk next to garage to our door. plow trucks leave a nice mound for us.

im curoius the arien plat sho 30 vs hydro 28, which is better, is ax motor better than briggs? i heard briggs is loud?
post #8 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 02:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1168
not any louder than the rest of them. did you look at TORO?????? ALOHA TO the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
honestly i havn't looked much at the toro's, for whatever reason i just hate the name. Whats a good model to look at, anything stick out about them, aka why do people suggest tehm
post #10 of 13 Old 11-17-2014, 07:07 PM

Location: Magnetic Hill, New Brunswick Canada Average snowfall (111.0'')282.0cms
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 93
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 570
Toro's are a little more money than the MTD and Ariens and are mechanically sounder, they haven't gone with too many cheap parts yet. They would rather sell quality than quantity.

''Never drive faster than your guardian ANGEL can fly''
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page