post #1 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 41
Garage
That was an utter failure

So I got up early to blow some snow, plugged it in to use the starter, nothing, so I pulled the plug, and the ground prong almost came all the way out. So I used the pull start, and what was left of the handle broke off. I finally got it started, and then it sucked up some frozen leafs, and killed it, and wouldn't restart.
Every time I started with the pull start it fired up on the first try, when I went to the guys house to look at it he would push the button and it fired right up. What the heck is going on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 01:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Did you forget to prime it or choke it? Maybe it is just a lot colder now than it was last time?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
So I got up early to blow some snow, plugged it in to use the starter, nothing, so I pulled the plug, and the ground prong almost came all the way out. So I used the pull start, and what was left of the handle broke off. I finally got it started, and then it sucked up some frozen leafs, and killed it, and wouldn't restart.
Every time I started with the pull start it fired up on the first try, when I went to the guys house to look at it he would push the button and it fired right up. What the heck is going on?
I have a problem following this, when it sucked leafs, was it the carb or with the blower? Did you have to push hard for the plug in? This could happen with new female plugs as most are made in China and are very tight to plug.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 150
Likes (Received): 788
If the electric started worked normally at the guys house, but didnt work at all at your house, are you sure the outlet at your house has power?

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 03:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sscotsman View Post
If the electric started worked normally at the guys house, but didnt work at all at your house, are you sure the outlet at your house has power?

Scot
On the same subject, amps come in to play. High draw motors pull a lot of amps so you need a good circuit in the house as well as a thick heavy duty extension cord that is as short as possible.

Also, most garage or outside outlets are going to be the GFCI type, so make sure it is reset and not tripped.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Ill try my best to awnser everyones question
1. I set the choke when I start it
2. It was a new cord and was rather hard to push in
3. The outlet does indeed have power.
4. The extention cord is a thicker heavy duty type, no GFCI outlet
I put a new spark plug in and got it to run again, start and stop it a couple times to clear things.
I got most of the driveway cleared and then it stopped. Id restart and it would die right away. I noticed the screw on the choke would move every time I turn the choke lever. So I wonder if the choke became if the carb needs adjusting
post #7 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 06:38 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 485
Thanks (Received): 353
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1168
it could be it just doses not like you at this moment in time..

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1480
Garage
I guess I'd like to know what brand and model blower and engine we are talking about. It isn't a "General" Snow blower question as much as it is specific to your blower.

If it's an older blower than the failure of the starter was likely due to the last time it was used or this time it was plugged in that male plug/starter button assembly on top of the engine broke. Unless you were talking about the ground prong on the extension cable where it goes into the wall. Then it's likely it's just a bad extension cable and maybe that end had heated up a bit one time when the starter was engaged too long or it didn't have full contact with the outlet and heated up.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-18-2014 at 09:47 PM.
post #9 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Garage
Sorry should ave posted in a different section. Its a simplicity 860 from the mid 80s. Its the male ground prong on the blower itself that is loose, but the wire it self looks intact. The guy I bought it from used the electric start two times and it started without hesitation. I found the engime instruction paper so im going to readjust the carb, this weekend is supposed to be in the 50s so ill see if the starter behaves a little better
post #10 of 41 Old 11-18-2014, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I noticed the screw on the choke would move every time I turn the choke lever. So I wonder if the choke became if the carb needs adjusting
I'm sorry.....but this is hard to understand....what screw on the choke would move.....sorry. !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page