LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
Who is in Buffalo right now?

Curious how the folks in Buffalo are getting along and removing snow. Making several trips to remove it or waiting to hit it once its over? Weather Channel said drifts up to 7ft.

"
BUFFALO, N.Y. - Parts of New York measured the season's first big snowfall in feet, rather than inches, on Tuesday as 3 feet of lake-effect snow blanketed the Buffalo area and forced the closure of a 132-mile stretch of the state Thruway.
The waist-high snow blown by strong winds stopped even pedestrians in their tracks and motorists abandoned vehicles where they got stuck. National Weather Service meteorologist Tony Ansuini said the storm was dumping 3 to 4 inches of snow per hour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 346
Likes (Given): 149
Likes (Received): 781
We have a new forum member from Buffalo who just joined today and made his first post. and I know we have some others..they are probably too busy to chime in right now! we will probably get reports later.

I live in Rochester and work in Avon..Avon is right on the eastern edge of the Lake Erie snow plume today..we are only getting a few inches from it though. its been snowing all day here, but only about 4 inches on the ground. less up in Rochester.

Im a member of many railfan forums, and the train guys have been chatting about Buffalo all day, because the snow impacts train movements of course..the BIG snows are all south of Buffalo, what they call the "south towns", the southern suburbs, and along the Lake Erie shore down to Erie PA.

Areas in those bands are getting two to three feet today! and I did earlier today read some reports of 6-foot drifts in Hamburg, so 7-foot drifts are certainty plausible.

The city of Buffalo itself is mostly being spared for now, the real snow is all south of the city. Lake Erie is in full swing today, she's a good snow maker.

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Western NY predicted snow totals for today and tomorrow:

Buffalo itself, the city, is in the 8" band.
Hamburg NY is in the epicenter today at the 26" mark, thats about 15 miles south of downtown Buffalo..this is a very "local" event! for the really big snows anyway.

I am currently sitting just above where it says "Geneseo" on that map, in the upper-right corner. we are in the plume, but on the edge of it. Im about 70 miles away from Lake Erie. This snow plume is extending 100 miles inland across western NY.

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 11-18-2014 at 04:23 PM.
post #4 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
That's just crazy. This morning I heard the storm was only about 12 miles wide. I can't imagine over 100 miles of a highway being shut down. We had that mess in NJ a couple of years ago. You guys know how to deal with heavy snow. Looks like even the most prepared could not have prepared for this type of storm.
post #5 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 04:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 7
I've been sitting here all day waiting for the big snowfall! I said yesterday we were supposed to be the ones getting that snow. They were calling for 36" by the end of the day. The weather channel and today show were stationed downtown the past 2 days and it missed us and hit buffalo! We've got 0"....unbelievable. Now it's just supposed to be a measly 8-12" tonight

No matter how prepared you are, it's impossible to handle that much that quick on the highways.

2014 Honda 928WAS

Erie, PA
-Avg yearly snowfall 100.8" (256cm)
-2013-14 Snowiest major city in the USA with 138.4" (351.5cm)
post #6 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by KpaxFAQ View Post
I've been sitting here all day waiting for the big snowfall! I said yesterday we were supposed to be the ones getting that snow. They were calling for 36" by the end of the day. The weather channel and today show were stationed downtown the past 2 days and it missed us and hit buffalo! We've got 0"....unbelievable. Now it's just supposed to be a measly 8-12" tonight
We are on opposite sides of that snow band!
you are on the South-West side, im on the North-east side.

Im home from work now, up to Rochester, and we have one inch on the ground! in fact, the wind has blown parts of my driveway down to bare pavement. no snowblower tonight, and probably none this week.

I just put on the local news..some areas south of Buffalo could see SIX feet between midnight last night and midnight tonight! and that is six *actual* feet, not from drifting! amazing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig041 View Post
That's just crazy. This morning I heard the storm was only about 12 miles wide. I can't imagine over 100 miles of a highway being shut down. We had that mess in NJ a couple of years ago. You guys know how to deal with heavy snow. Looks like even the most prepared could not have prepared for this type of storm.
Well..its a lot bigger than 12 miles wide..the heaviest snow band is relatively small..perhaps 10 miles wide by 20 miles long..but the entire snow plume off of the lake is 50 miles wide by 100 miles long..but most of those areas under the plume will see only 2" to 12" from it..

here is a map that shows a wider area:

http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo...56b1c02cee.png

that map was made yesterday..it predicted only 24" t0 30" in the areas south of Buffalo, that has been revised to 4 to 6 feet in those specific heavy bands!

The cold wind is running right down the entire length of Lake Erie, pulling moisture right out of the (still relatively warm) lake, then dumping it when it hits land and slows down..the east shore of Lake Ontario does the same thing, but that area is sparsely populated, so it doesnt make the news..but Buffalo is newsworthy!

post #7 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Check out this photo!

http://media4.s-nbcnews.com/i/newscm...d327227325.jpg

That's downtown Buffalo earlier today, looking south out across Lake Erie.
that is literally a wall of snow! That is the infamous Lake Effect snow band, in the process of burying the suburbs south of Buffalo.

Scot

post #8 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 08:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 248
Thanks (Received): 288
Likes (Given): 2898
Likes (Received): 537
That is an amazing photo, it looks like a winter tornado being formed. Not weather related, is that Navy ship visiting or a permanent attraction?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #9 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

post #10 of 54 Old 11-18-2014, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Send a message via AIM to SteelyTim
I've got a whopping 3"

Here I am eager to run the fleet, and I get 3"!!!!

The bands are supposed to shift North overnight, so tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. That snow band is about 3 miles South of me as the crow flies. I could see the edge of the storm from my living room window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	25849  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page