Problems with Troy Bilt Snow Blower - Considering Replacement - Help ! - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Problems with Troy Bilt Snow Blower - Considering Replacement - Help !

All

New to the board but am hoping to get some guidance. I purchased a Troy Bilt 3090XP about 4 years ago. Had some issues with belt etc but overall not been too bad. That was until this season, go to start it up and fires up cold but after about a minute starts to run erratic then sputter and finally the engine dies. After this it will allow you to start it again but lasts less and less time on each subsequent start.

I replaced fuel, after flushing out old, replaced spark plug, cleaned out bowl (which was spotless already) and have run out of simple, cost effective ideas to get this thing running. I had a shop look at it, noted the engine as the probable problem and therefore looking at big money to replace.

Due to this I am considering getting into an Ariens 30" Platinum or one of the Husqvarna units. Of course my existing blower picks the worst time of year (both weather and lack of deals on new blowers) to have these issues.

Therefore I wanted to ask here if a) there is anything further anyone can recommend that I try on the Troy Bilt and b) if my thoughts on moving to an Ariens or Husqvarna would be a good one and step up in terms of engine at least ?

Thanks so much all

WC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 09:05 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1027
Just what did the shop say was the problem with the engine? That's pretty vague.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
The Tecumseh engines can have similar issues when the valve stems heat up and expand and stop closing all the way. Yours sounds new enough to have one of the Honda clone type engines though. Have you tried running it with the gas cap off or loose? If the vent is plugged it can cause a vacuum which prevents fuel from going to the carb. The fuel lines can rot and expand on the inside and plug up as well. The clone engines also have a small second bowl before the main bowl that they call a sediment cup. Did you try cleaning that out as well?

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 767
Likes (Given): 4350
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
Could be valves but it does sound like fuel. If you don't want to take the carb apart maybe just a replacement carb will get it running.
Like Micah asked, why do they think you need an engine ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
If you mechanical enough and you can replace the carburator....do it. #1 Never, ever put a engine away for a season with out "stable" in the fuel.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 10:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Received): 65
I have to agree also, sounds like a fuel issue. Those carb's clog up real easy on those MTD clones. If it is the motor and terminal, I would do a re-power with a Predator.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
post #7 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Maybe this will help. You can see the augers spin on the shaft when the shear bolts are removed. If they don't spin like that they are rusted together and you end up breaking gears instead of bolts when you hit something.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 10:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 11
You said the bowl was clean, did you check the high speed and idle jet? If not I would start there.
post #9 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
The most likely culprit is still problems with the carb. I suggest you do a youtube search for Tecumseh carb rebuild. A rebuild kit won't be all that expensive (cheaper than a new carb, and much much cheaper than a new snowblower).

Make sure you winterize the blower next year before putting it away.
post #10 of 30 Old 11-19-2014, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
All

Thanks for the replies. I will be completely up front and state I am by no means mechanically minded so pulling the motor or carb for a rebuild or re-install would not be something I think I could do.

I did check the bowl and it was spotless but did clean it out anyway just as matter of habit. I don't have any parts diagrams etc to know where to check high speed and idle jets but am willing to certainly take a look if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I am in complete agreement with the general consensus here that it appears fuel related. To me it sounds almost as though after that minute of running its like its being starved of gas and stopping.

I will definitely try the gas cap tip tomorrow as well.

With regards to these clogged carbs that were mentioned, can I assume stabil will help against that in future ? I was sure I put stabil in this past year but could be wrong.

Is there any type of additive/carb cleaner that I can put in the tank to help blow through whatever may be going on while it is running for that first minute ?

The engine shop stated that they have seen issues with these engines and combustion issues especially in the case of a fuel issue. Said that their recommendation would be the new motor but of course if I am looking at that kind of money would rather put it in a new machine at this point. They did not think carb would help this issue.

Will definitely be winterizing 150% next time around. Not happy that this unit is only 4 years old (barely) and has these issues.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help here, will report back on the gas cap piece and any other reco's

WC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page