LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
honda vs ariens hydro pro

so these honda snowblowers don't have steering controls??????? what the heck? how hard is it to steer them??? the track models?? why honda, why do u have to make this choice so hard.....now im thinking maybe the ariens hydro pro 28 track might be better......

also how short are the honda's? i heard tall people have to bend over? none of my local honda dealers even stock the 2 stage blowers, they sell so few and the profit margine is supposedly really small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 282
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBillyBobandhisGoat View Post
so these honda snowblowers don't have steering controls??????? what the heck? how hard is it to steer them??? the track models?? why honda, why do u have to make this choice so hard.....now im thinking maybe the ariens hydro pro 28 track might be better......

also how short are the honda's? i heard tall people have to bend over? none of my local honda dealers even stock the 2 stage blowers, they sell so few and the profit margine is supposedly really small
The Honda track-drive models can be a handful to turn/move when NOT on snow; wheel-drive a little easier, but both are not too hard to turn with practice. Having some type of steering control is very high on the 'wish list' for the new product development team.

A little over three years ago, all Honda 2-stage blowers got taller handlebars. Older models were indeed a bit hard to use for anyone over 5-10, but that's been fixed now. I've heard of some dealers that sell 2" extension kits that allow use of stock cables/controls.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 09:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 7
6'1 Honda user here, don't seem to notice any issues. Yes one has to bend over a bit to adjust the chute but that doesn't bother me at all. I could see someone taller then me starting to complain though.

2014 Honda 928WAS

Erie, PA
-Avg yearly snowfall 100.8" (256cm)
-2013-14 Snowiest major city in the USA with 138.4" (351.5cm)
post #4 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 10:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 2
So I will agree that the tracked honda is a pain to move when not started, however I think that part of the reliability of this unit is derived from the simplicity of the engineering. So far my Husqvarna which does have steering control for each wheel, has been problematic, and you have to really make sure you keep the "dogs" lubed with graphite in order to keep it in working order.

I looked at both the Ariens and the Honda and ended up with the Honda because of the reliability and reputation. The Ariens, was very nice, don't get me wrong, but the price was higher for it and i felt that the tolerances and the impeller design were inferior compared to that of the Honda.

I care more about getting any kind of snow from point a to point b with out any issues.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 2
The Honda's are commercial grade machines, simple in design and function.

That being said, if someone is looking for fancy controls, they should look elsewhere.

Honda's philosophy is, simple is better.

The more controls and features added leads to additional maintenance, complexity, machine down-time for repairs etc.

2015 Honda HS928WAK1.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
if I had to choose between the two. I would get the red one. and that is all I am saying on that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 7 Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Honda track-drive models can be a handful to turn/move when NOT on snow; wheel-drive a little easier, but both are not too hard to turn with practice. Having some type of steering control is very high on the 'wish list' for the new product development team.

A little over three years ago, all Honda 2-stage blowers got taller handlebars. Older models were indeed a bit hard to use for anyone over 5-10, but that's been fixed now. I've heard of some dealers that sell 2" extension kits that allow use of stock cables/controls.

what are the chances that they will make some kind of kit for people buying or having already bought a honda, to add that feature on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page