Should I buy a new blower or fix up the old. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
POG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Should I buy a new blower or fix up the old.

Hey guys, I am currently in frozen buffalo New York digging out of close to 8 feet of snow. I ownam Ariens 824 with 24 inch auger and a Tecumseh engin.I bought it in 2001 after we had 8 feet of snow. During this latest 9 foot disaster, the starter fell off. It's a great machine and it served me well… No complaints. I had it serviced at a local shop and they made some major steaks with it. I had to gas leaks and I'm sure that the start of fell off because they didn't tighten the bolts. Cersley right for not doing it myself. Here's my question…

Do I put money into this machine or do I invest in new one. If I am going to get a new one what should I get? Just started researching and that's why am out this forum.I haven't read the snowblower reviews yet but it's on my list. I'm considering a new Ariens or a three stage cub cadet .. So far. I live in Buffalo so I mostly get pretty deep heavy snow. I have a pretty long driveway out in the burbs… In the snow belt. I need something I can rely on. I'm limited because of my garage to about 24 inches. thought ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 5
If all that is required is replacing some bolts, then I would say it's a no brainer. Fix it. I replaced my last snowblower when I had to fix it.....every time I used it.
post #3 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
I wouldn't buy a Cub. For the money you could have a Ariens. How much to fix the 824? Is it in good shape? Do you feel that you need a larger machine? If the 824 does the job, I'd fix it and put back in service.

Ariens Platinum SHO 24" Armored Up!
Toro S-620
post #4 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
Quote:
Originally Posted by POG View Post
Hey guys, I am currently in frozen buffalo New York digging out of close to 8 feet of snow. I ownam Ariens 824 with 24 inch auger and a Tecumseh engin.I bought it in 2001 after we had 8 feet of snow. During this latest 9 foot disaster, the starter fell off. It's a great machine and it served me well… No complaints. I had it serviced at a local shop and they made some major steaks with it. I had to gas leaks and I'm sure that the start of fell off because they didn't tighten the bolts. Cersley right for not doing it myself. Here's my question…

Do I put money into this machine or do I invest in new one. If I am going to get a new one what should I get? Just started researching and that's why am out this forum.I haven't read the snowblower reviews yet but it's on my list. I'm considering a new Ariens or a three stage cub cadet .. So far. I live in Buffalo so I mostly get pretty deep heavy snow. I have a pretty long driveway out in the burbs… In the snow belt. I need something I can rely on. I'm limited because of my garage to about 24 inches. thought ?
if your garage is only 24 inches then how do you keep anything in there. anyway have a look at the TOROS they will dig you out and fast

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:18 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
if your garage is only 24 inches then how do you keep anything in there. anyway have a look at the TOROS they will dig you out and fast
I would think he means his doorway? Either that or with his car in there that is all the room he has left.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #6 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I did both. I fixed up my '66 Ariens with intent on selling it. I bought a new 24"Platinum SHO this year, but I can't seem to let the '66 go. My only problem now is I don't have enough snow. You on the other hand, could use 2 snow blowers. If you don't have any attachment to the 824, then sell it later. It's worth more if its fixed up, and you shouldn't have a problem selling it this year. Good Luck.

1991 MTD 3/21 SS
1966 Ariens 10M6D
2015 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO
post #7 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
I would think he means his doorway? Either that or with his car in there that is all the room he has left.
As for the original question, most people would say buy older machines or fix what you have. You stated it just needs some bolts replaced so that is a no brainer. Does your machine have electric start and pull start? It will run with one of them missing.

post #8 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
POG

Post Thanks / Like
The only problem I know about is the bolts. But I know it's been used very hard last decade. As I stated… Maybe I wasn't clear enough…my concern is that I little local shop work on it and they screwed up a number of things. I had two gas leaks ... They had my machine over a year ... I'm concerned there might be further damage I haven't found. The starter has a chip in it. I'm probably going to have to replace the entire piece. It's more than just bolts
post #9 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:37 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Any shop that has your machine for over a year is a shop to never go back to. For the starters, you can replace just the gears on the electrics and the pawls on the recoils. What is chipped?

One other thing. If you are in Buffalo right now I think you will have trouble finding a blower still for sale. Though, Ariens did post on their facebook the other day that they had a shipment headed that way.

post #10 of 31 Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 118
Likes (Given): 571
Likes (Received): 270
If I were looking for an outstanding 24", look no further than the Ariens Platinum 24 SHO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page