I can't believe the moisture in this snow. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-26-2014, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
I can't believe the moisture in this snow.

We got about 7 inches in NW Jersey. The storm started off as rain this morning then turned to snow around 7AM. Went out at 7PM to start blowing snow. I'm glad I did it tonight. about 400ft. down the driveway a huge tree limb snapped off and blocked the driveway.

The snow was so heavy it clumped in the trees so 2/3 of our 1k driveway only had about 2 inches. Had to keep the blowers in the slowest setting to prevent clogging the chute. I used the non stick cooking spray. I think it helped a little.

This heavy snow turned a 2 hour job into a little less than 4. Our ccr1000 we use for the deck and walkway was useless. Time for an adult beverage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 12:18 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Wow a km driveway and may I ask with what type of snow blower you clear it with? Must get interesting once in in a while.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
For about 10 years we only used a Troybilt storm 1030. Changed the belt for the first time 2 years ago. Last year I found this forum and decided to get a Toro. I found a 1132 (38090, 1979) for $75 not far from me. The interior of the gas tank was rusted out and clogged. I cleaned out the gas tank and it runs like a tank. The 1132 runs through plow pack like its nothing.

Our driveway is tree lined on both sides. This type of weather always brings down limbs on the driveway.

In 2008 we had an October snow storm that brought down many mature tree limbs and young trees. I could only pull 50ft. into the driveway from the street. What a pita that was. I was in business attire with leather shoes. I had my children with me, daughter 1o months (car seat), son 23 months (carrying him) and oldest son 3.5 yrs. (walking). I try to work out regularly but I was put to the test this day. It was getting dark, carrying two children and navigating a 3 1/2 yr. old that does not know left and right. Ducking under branches, stepping between branches, unstable footing because of conditions, arm muscles going into failure because of the two I was carrying. Then get to the house and no power. Of course the generator would not start. Had to make a fire in the fireplace, at least we had that option.

So you are correct Sir, a long driveway can make things interesting indeed.
post #4 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 06:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig041 View Post
We got about 7 inches in NW Jersey. The storm started off as rain this morning then turned to snow around 7AM. Went out at 7PM to start blowing snow. I'm glad I did it tonight. about 400ft. down the driveway a huge tree limb snapped off and blocked the driveway.

The snow was so heavy it clumped in the trees so 2/3 of our 1k driveway only had about 2 inches. Had to keep the blowers in the slowest setting to prevent clogging the chute. I used the non stick cooking spray. I think it helped a little.

This heavy snow turned a 2 hour job into a little less than 4. Our ccr1000 we use for the deck and walkway was useless. Time for an adult beverage.

ditto. this snow sucked. you need a plow for this stuff, it was really too thick for a snowblower. it was like trying to snowblow mash potatoes. same deal here.

the little Snowbird did work great making lanes between the parked cars though...and I ran it down the roadfront twice taking half chute bites from the plowed in line along the road and it chewed it up. but there was so much gravel and debris in that snow !

what I don't like about wet snow is, wet ground too. the ground was not frozen so plowing or snowblowing, it's picking up gravel and leaves.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #5 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 07:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 107
For the first time, I will use the term................ BLOWS and not throws. The worst possible kind of mix you can have to clear.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 08:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1878
Likes (Received): 661
sounds like you were just moving the snow around not blowing it, our last big snowfall of last winter was like that. started out as rain then turned to snow and by the time I got home and started blowing the stuff it started raining again. the 826 had traction but just kind of moved the slush over some more than blowing it, my plan is to put an impeller kit on one of these two stage snowblowers

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #7 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 09:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
this snow sucks. the slush inside the Snowbird hardened into ice today. if every snow was like this, I'd buy a front end loader. I can plow it with the Gilson tractor but then I'm digging up my driveway red stone, it's too warm and the ground isn't frozen or locked in. I don't mind just throwing it to the side, then it's like cutting the grass, that's ok. but this is like snowblowing pancake batter or fire extinguisher foam on the ground.

this is the type of snow you let lay until it melts, or gets colder and snowed on top of. then move it.

or just shovel it.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 11-27-2014 at 09:28 AM.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 09:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
Down in central Jersey it was just 4" of slush, I did not even try the blower.

I shoveled pushed the slush away, And I HATE SHOVELING!

I am inventing a slush thrower, it is in my plans.
Ed's slush throwers, you think there would be a market for them?

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #9 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 12:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 9
Like Koenig041 I'm in NW NJ and got the same "snow". This is my first snow blower ever. I got a blower that suites my 25' L X 20' W, hilly, ruddy gravel drive, A Troy-Bilt 2410 It was definitely a good break in for the blower . It was a challenge to say the least. It still beat shoveling the driveway though. I added AmorSkids on Monday and they worked great for my driveway. I also have a set of chains I'm adding asap, learned my lesson .

Whimsey
post #10 of 14 Old 11-27-2014, 12:12 PM
pwm

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 2
But it's a dry cold!

I never thought I'd say this, but we are actually better off here as far as snow is concerned. Winnipeg only gets an average 44.8" of annual snowfall, which is nothing compared to down east, and we almost never get that wet heavy snow, because it's already well below freezing before the snow starts to come down. Last night's low was -30 C for example. It gets to -40 C here not counting windchill! (Fahrenheit and Celsius meet at -40 in case you didn't know that).

So by the time it starts to snow, what we get is generally very small flakes of dry stuff that makes for great rooster tails from the blower, and is easy to shovel too.

The winter is long and brutally cold here at 50 degrees North Latitude, but at least we can say that the snow is easy to blow and shovel. I've never in 30 years had a clogged impeller or chute. My new blower came with a chute clearing tool and I just took it off and put it away in the tool cabinet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page