post #1 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 33
Need carb for Tec HMSK80

Hi All,

I'm looking to replace the carb on an Ariens machine I got my hands on the other day. I had tried to fix this for the previous owner but they let the machine sit for years and when I tore the carb apart it was full of mud. I was able to get it running by cleaning out the main jet with a piece of wire and scraping the bowl out but before that I couldn't even get cleaner through it.

I was able to get it working for the most part but it always ran lean even after multiple attempts.

Well, at this point he let it sit for another 3 years full of gas and now that it's mine I'm thinking a new carb is in order.

Are the Oregon carbs I see on Amazon decent? I don't want to spend too much, but I don't want to buy garbage either.

Also, I see Tecumseh seems to list two carbs for this engine and the only difference I noticed was the later ones do not have an idle mixture screw, and perhaps not a main jet adjustment either. Is it a safe assumption that I can go with the older version regardless of my engine's serial number just so I end up with the adjustments?

This is the specific one I'm considering buying.

Oregon 50-642 Carburetor Replacement for Tecumseh 632334A

Last edited by ChrisJ; 11-27-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 16
I am guessing yes. I did this last winter with a Oregon one from amazon to have the ability of adjusting the mixture. This was on a Toro with the Tec hm80 snow king engine. works real well and no more running with the choke half on.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 09:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 215
Likes (Received): 304
My only concern would be your choke operation. Does your current setup have the choke knob on the top or is it on the back of carb cover?
post #4 of 9 Old 11-27-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
My only concern would be your choke operation. Does your current setup have the choke knob on the top or is it on the back of carb cover?
Looks like it mounts to the back of the carb, I assume via the airfilter holes but cannot see it right now in person.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 02-08-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 06:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
I believe the Oregon carb is built oversees. Ebay has a lot of options at attractive price points. I used one of the ebay carbs on an hmsk50. Starts up on the first or second pull everytime.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 06:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
CArb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbert View Post
You need either a service carb or one with a similar layout to the one you have and take choke mechanism off the one you have and swap it to a replacement carb. It's not hard to do. I've actually taken a Tecumseh carb and swapped it to a Oregon carb before and it worked just fine.

Easiest way obviously is to find a comparable carb with a similar setup to yours, many can be found on ebay or Amazon.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
the original carb could probably still be saved but you'll have to do some diligent cleaning. many times carb jobs are easy and just the main jet cleaned fixes them. but if it's really dirty or gummed up, every passage has to be checked and cleaned. there are 3 air bleeds in the entrance, 3 idle/off idle discharge ports on the throttle side under the welch plug, 3 passages in the main jet, the passage behind the idle mixture screw, and the dreaded hidden plugged passage in the main well for the fixed idle jet. the last one is the most insidious and hard to clean. some carbs have a slot on the bottom edge of the main well, where a torch tip cleaning wire can be inserted at an angle to clean the fixed idle jet.

I always try to use the original carb, because in general the jetting and passages are more correct for the engine. I have put replacement main jets and nozzles in carbs and they were LEANER and the engine never really ran with as much gumption, as with the old jet. also a replacement carb may have LEANER passages in it as well.

but in your case if you have a nonadjustable main jet/idle mix carb, using an older carb altogether should be richer and the engine will probably run better. yes, definitely use the one with the adjustment screws.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #8 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitebuffalo View Post
the original carb could probably still be saved but you'll have to do some diligent cleaning. many times carb jobs are easy and just the main jet cleaned fixes them. but if it's really dirty or gummed up, every passage has to be checked and cleaned. there are 3 air bleeds in the entrance, 3 idle/off idle discharge ports on the throttle side under the welch plug, 3 passages in the main jet, the passage behind the idle mixture screw, and the dreaded hidden plugged passage in the main well for the fixed idle jet. the last one is the most insidious and hard to clean. some carbs have a slot on the bottom edge of the main well, where a torch tip cleaning wire can be inserted at an angle to clean the fixed idle jet.

I always try to use the original carb, because in general the jetting and passages are more correct for the engine. I have put replacement main jets and nozzles in carbs and they were LEANER and the engine never really ran with as much gumption, as with the old jet. also a replacement carb may have LEANER passages in it as well.

but in your case if you have a nonadjustable main jet/idle mix carb, using an older carb altogether should be richer and the engine will probably run better. yes, definitely use the one with the adjustment screws.
Hi greatwhitebuffalo,

Would this also include using an older style new carb with the idle and main jet adjustments?

I'm curious in regards to rebuilding an original does anyone sell a kit for these? Or, if not a kit can parts be bought somewhere?
post #9 of 9 Old 11-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 587
Thanks (Received): 767
Likes (Given): 4350
Likes (Received): 1734
Garage
Yes they sell kits. Do you have a 632334A ? If so https://www.google.com/search?q=6323...4A+rebuild+kit

Getting a new one for $25 I'm not sure I'd fiddle with trying to clean it. Having said that I need to say I do fiddle with them but it's because I have the time and like to. It's usually not my main machine. If it's your only blower and you haven't played with a carb before getting a new one might be a better idea.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 11-28-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page