17yr old Simplicity Pro 32 bent impeller - how? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
17yr old Simplicity Pro 32 bent impeller - how?

I share this Pro 32 with a neighbor. It has been an awesome machine from day one. Over the last few years she hasn't been throwing the snow as far as it use to. I tried replacing the belts but that didn't do much. Where I use to clear the driveway with one throw I now have to throw it twice. Not fun. I bought it to a local dealer to give it the once over and he said the belt needed tightening. Other then that she should be fine. Cost me $100. Last storm it performed just as bad as ever. Today I bought it to another dealer who sells "as is" equipment figuring I would just sell this one and buy a new one. Guy looks in the housing and says, your impeller is bent. Not just a little but wow bent. Here's a pic.

He said all I need to do is heat up the fins with a torch and bend them back over. I tried to do that in the parking lot but realized it wasn't going to be as easy and it sounds. These fins are pretty heavy metal. I left it with the dealer to fix. He just called saying it's going to be apx $600 to fix since the impeller has to be replaced.. can't just bend back. I asked him to do a compression test on the motor to see if it's still strong before fixing anything. Will find out on Monday. Long way to get to my question but here it is.. How could this get bent that bad? I thought maybe a fist size rock but that would have made some serious noise especially when bending all 4 blades. Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 06:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
Wow! I am in the wrong business.

A $100 to just tighten the belt!
$600 to replace the impeller!

Edit,
You would be better off buying another blower. and I would not buy it off of those two.

The reason....someone ate something while blowing...maybe a cat or dog?
Something hard got sucked into it. That shouldn't do that just from age?

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage

Last edited by Big Ed; 11-29-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 07:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
What does the neighbor have to say? I blame him (unless "you" chewed up the neighborhood dog, cat, or cinder block)

Have you (or the neighbor) taken out the shear pins and greased them? I'm surprised they held up to whatever got to the impeller to bend it like it is. I learned with my first blower to take out the shear pins after every season and grease them, otherwise they rust in solid, doing no good when I was at my daughters for the first time snowblowing and found a landscape rock. No good!

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #4 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 07:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Steve, here's a thought. Take the impeller out, go to a local sheet metal shop that has a press brake. They should be able to bend it back into shape for ya.

Where you located at? Being a sheet metal salesman, I know of a few shops around the US. It's a long shot, but maybe I can help ya out before ya spend 600 bones.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #5 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 07:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
even a small rock can bend them. I know that first hand. I had to spend 200.00 on a new impeller.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 07:31 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
what he said...remove the impeller and shaft from the unit. once you get it out in the open, you can work. heat the bent hinged creased area CHERRY RED with a torch, then bend it back with vice grips, or a sledgehammer. I have a Gilson 55012 that had similar bent vanes on impeller. I straightened it per above, and then had the local machine shop weld it up to brace it, so it would not bend so easy again. that one also had a bent impeller shaft that had to be replaced. it was not that expensive but it was time consuming. do yourself a favor, while you're in there, change the rear impeller support bearing.

how does it happen ? I don't think from any single impact or ingestion of large rocks, sticks, or debris....I think they slowly get twisted out of shape as the years go by, from hitting successive obstacles one after another, like blows from a hammer, slowly bending it over. also the strain of pushing the snow probably moves them a few thou every year. it's a cumulative thing. just last night my Luminaire shut off while clearing some relatively shallow snow. I disengaged the clutch, and it started right back up. Looked inside the chute, there was a rock stuck between one impeller blade and side of housing- really wedged in there. it did not bend things like that. it may also be the design and hardness of the impeller itself. the Gilson blowers I own, have soft metallurgy compared to the Ariens and Cadet. so some will bend easier than others. they cut corners and cost, by not heat treating to as high a spec hardness.

the worst thing about the whole impeller job, is the impeller pulley if it's pressed on to the impeller shaft. the ariens type is way ahead in that the drive pulley is not on the impeller shaft, but cogged to it by a dog clutch yoke. those are easy to get apart, just take the set screws off and they slide right off

pressed on impeller pulleys are a beetch...

you may want to comb Ebay and Craigslist and other used parts sources, see if you can just find one in good shape, to drop in there shaft and all. save yourself a lot of worky...

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 11-29-2014 at 08:50 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 589
Thanks (Received): 770
Likes (Given): 4358
Likes (Received): 1740
Garage
600 bucks is just too much to fix an old machine unless you are really in love with it.
Being a Simplicity 32" a replacement would be spendy but 600 just isn't reasonable to me. I'd try to be handy or find a friend who could repair or replace the impeller.

You also need to get approval as the neighbor who shares the unit should be kicking in 300 bucks. At least in my world he should.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 22 Old 11-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
yeh 600 is salty...I think that's all I spent on all my machines put together to buy them !

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #9 of 22 Old 11-30-2014, 12:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 143
Likes (Received): 297
Yeah, I agree with all the above. $100 for a belt change is probably twice what it should be, and the impeller repair or replace is excessive. Possibly exceeding the value of the machine, which should have also been advised to you prior to the repair.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-30-2014, 01:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
I picked up a rock once that really did a number on mine. I removed the impeller myself and took it to a repair shop, it cost twenty dollars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page