LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
New to Two Stage Blowers

Hello everyone. I'm a new member. I'm 67 years old and know very little about two stage snow blowers. I live in Iowa where our average snow fall is between 5-8", with at least one or two 12-15" storms. I have a double car driveway 60-70 foot and 150 foot of sidewalk.

I thinking of purchasing a new Toro or Ariens. I read a review that said the Ariens AX engine will last 4 times longer that the Toro's Briggs snow engine?

Any recommendations as to size,model of each blower would be appreciated.

Thank You!!
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
the engine will last a long time, but probably not as long as the toros. its frustrating because ariens used to offer a 28 inch with a briggs engine but the last of those are gone. i personally think the ariens has a better frame but a cheap engine. the toro is the exact opposite
post #3 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesuits4 View Post
Hello everyone. I'm a new member. I'm 67 years old and know very little about two stage snow blowers. I live in Iowa where our average snow fall is between 5-8", with at least one or two 12-15" storms. I have a double car driveway 60-70 foot and 150 foot of sidewalk.

I thinking of purchasing a new Toro or Ariens. I read a review that said the Ariens AX engine will last 4 times longer that the Toro's Briggs snow engine?

Any recommendations as to size,model of each blower would be appreciated.

Thank You!!
Joe
Welcome to the form Joe! I could insert an Iowa joke here, but I will refrain.

Either one of the brands you list are very good. Please do yourself a favor and purchase from a dealer and NOT a big box store. They do not do the best of jobs assembling, plus if there are issues, the dealer you take it to for repairs will put you at the back of the line while they work on the stuff they sold first.

In the Ariens line up, I would look at the deluxe 28. These have enough power to toss the snow from one side of the drive to the other without having to pick it up again. I'm not up to date on the Toro family, so I'm not sure what they have in their stable to compare to.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #4 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 07:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1027
Welcome Joe!
I'd like to read the article you refer to.
Either machine, Areins or Toro, is a good machine but honestly, I find that comment in that article a little hard to believe. What do they base their claim on?

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #5 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here is the article.

Quote:
@Pete,
1. My information tells me that Toro is running away from Briggs as fast as they can. The new engines will be made by Loncin.
2. The Briggs is made in China by a Chinese owned factory.
The new (read enhanced) Ariens AX engines are manufactured by LCT. These engines are the most reliable engines in the industry right now! LCT is also a leading manufacturer of engines for tillers, generators, water pumps, pressure washers and log splitters. The best thing about them is if anything goes wrong with the engine your local Ariens dealer can service them and all the warranty paperwork is done right through Ariens. The dealer does not have to go directly to the engine manufacture and try to convince them the problem is with the engine, and not the engine owner. If there is a defect it just gets fixed.
These engine also have a throttle. Most of the Briggs snow engines do not. You can idle the engine if you have to walk away from it or to let it relax before you turn it off.
The second best thing about these engines is the defect rate. Defective engines are irritating and the Ariens/LCT engines have the lowest rate in the industry (though MTD has not published their rates) LCT Warranty rate is only .17%. As a comparison Honda snow engines is .33% and Briggs & Stratton Snow Engines 1.0 %. That means only about 1 out of 1000 Ariens/LCT engines have an issue from the start whereas about 1 out of 100 Briggs have problems.
Finally, the Ariens/LCT has about 4 times the average useful life of comparable B&S Snow engines, 1000 vs. 250 hours
[alert-note] LCT is not a “Chinese” engine. It is an American company. The engines are engineered here in the U.S. and manufactured in their own factories in China. Unlike some of the other brands LCT has complete control over the manufacturing process of their engines. Yes – they make the current Husqvarna engines also. It’s time to stop calling all these engines “Chinese Junk” All of the snow blower engines are currently made in China including Briggs and Honda but each manufacture has different specs and controls on how the engines are made. LCT is very proud of the strict quality control and engineering specs on these engines. They are making better engines today than we ever thought could be made 30 years ago. They are dependable and built to last.
source: http://movingsnow.com/2013/726oe-and...iew/?cid=10115

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-01-2014 at 09:56 PM. Reason: quote tags and source link added.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I guess time will tell.

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
post #7 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 10:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesuits4 View Post
I don't think those numbers mean the Ariens AX will last 4 times longer than the Briggs engines. The initial failure rate (warranty repairs) may be better, but that is for engines in the 1-5 yr life cycle. All of these engines should last 20++ years with proper care and simple, regular maintenance. I doubt anyone has accurate data for failure rates of these engines after 20, 30, or 40 years. As Micah said, we will all have to wait and see. Especially since all snowblower engines are made in China now. Hopefully we will al be waiting 20-40 yrs., all with good running engines.

That being said, I will offer my opinion between the Ariens and Toro. I have experience with both. My neighbor bought a Toro 928 OHXE 2 years ago and I was very impressed. He is your age and he was out there every day having fun with it. It was the only blower on the block that outperformed my Ariens 10M6D (1966). I was dead set on the same model until I did some more research and found 4 things that swayed me back to Ariens.

1) Ariens is made in US, Toro is made in Mexico
2) Ariens is almost all steel and Toro has way too much plastic for me
3) Ariens has bigger engine and was $200 less (Ariens 24" SHO vs 28" OHXE) so not really apples to apples.
4) My 10M6D is 48 years old and still functions at 100%.

I have never met an Ariens or Toro owner who didn't love their machine. Either one I am sure you will love as well.

The Honda and Yamaha guys will undoubtedly chime in. But for me, these 2 brands require you to have a large excess of disposable income and/or the need to rationalize your purchace endlessly in these forums. Read the Yamaha vs Honda thread for more on that. Good Luck.

1991 MTD 3/21 SS
1966 Ariens 10M6D
2015 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO
post #8 of 27 Old 12-01-2014, 11:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
+1 on Mica and Lebenfitti, but just to add on the Lct engines and I don't agree with moving.com how his report was overly biased, the fact is Lct have cast iron sleeves and two bearings on the crankshaft which is a definite plus for engine longevity as opposed to the Briggs and Stratton being built now as their cylinder piston bore is cut in aluminum and I don't know if they come with bearings. Loncin are also renowned for their quality engines. Just to add my 2cents.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-02-2014, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
As to the plastic debate. How many metal ss blowers do you see out there? Nothing wrong with plastic as long as they don't make the frames and buckets out of it. I have three blowers with plastic chutes and belt covers etc. Skid upgrades a plastic. Plastic doesn't rust. Not nearly as heavy as steel. No problems. JMHO

Joe
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
New.green shovel
post #10 of 27 Old 12-02-2014, 02:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
you can still find TORO'S with briggs on them if you look hard enough. ALOHA to the forms..: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page