LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Anyone Running Carlisle x-trac Tires

If so, how do you like them? Traction, Wear , installation? I want to go from a 4 to 5 inch width, but the Carlisle site states I need a 3.5 width rim rather than 3.25 that I have. Anyone mounted a wider tire on the same rim without problems?

MTD 24 Tec 5.5 hp

Last edited by Edge; 12-04-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 172
Thanks (Received): 308
Likes (Given): 450
Likes (Received): 1026
Sorry but I can't help. Hopefully someone will chime in soon. I don't believe I've seen any tire questions on here before. Most of the mods are impeller kits, lights, and pulley changes.

Joe
Sent from my wife's old Toshiba
Ariens 921001
Toro 38074- sold
Toro CCR 3650E-sold
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
post #3 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
I swapped old turf type 4.10-350-6NHS tires to X-trac 13x5.00- 6NHS on '79 Ariens rims. I have not run them yet, still playing around with a motor mount plate to fit new power supply I can tell you I will likely pay someone next swap. The bead structure on X-trac is very strong. I have a HF small tire changer kit that I've used on lawn tractor tires with great success, Carlisle brand tires too. These x-tracs were tuff little buggers. My rims were bead blasted and repainted and were smooth as a babies bottom too. Perhaps 8" and bigger are that much easier.
post #4 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Are you swapping the tires on the blower in your signature? If so I would look on your local CL for a set mounted on wheels. They show up a lot around here especially the pinned hub to axle type, bolt mount not so much.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 08:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Received): 107
On my 1971 Ariens, I am running the Carlise (13 X 4.0 - 6) with tubes. These are an excellent tire for our machines. They are such an improvement over the original Goodyear tire. They have great traction. As far as wear, they have only been on for about five years so I can not really say, but I am sure that they will last my lifetime. I really do not see why you would need to go any wider. I keep them at about 18 LBS.

Last edited by Kielbasa; 12-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes , these tires are for the blower in my Sig. They are Snow Traks 4.10 x 6 that have the Snow Hog lug pattern. I can't find them easily online, probably an off brand and why they are cracking at the tread -That and the hard last winter. The wheels are bolt on, so not many on CL here.

I figured if I could go a little wider to 13-5 x 6 without problems with my 3.25 rim, they might give more traction and last longer. I'd don't how much better they will be but, I can't have leaks , rim slip or install problems. I'll be using 12 inch motorcycle tire irons for the install.

MTD 24 Tec 5.5 hp

Last edited by Edge; 12-05-2014 at 03:17 PM.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 04:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 30
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 110
The x trac are great tires. I just switchedy 73 ariens from a 6 wheels inch to the 8 inch wheels. Check Summit Racing for the tires. They had the best pricing for the Carlise X-trac. People are using these tire on atv and dirt bikes. If you want a bigger rim check for the Snapper Rear Engine Riders on CL. They have the same bolt pattern. Also many tire shops wont install small tire amd wheel combo. I tried Bennys,Firestone,Pep Boys,and a few others. Here is a few tips I've learned from my installs. Soak the tire in hot water. Lube the edges of rim and tires with dish soap. Use three stong long flat head screw drivers and two people. One to hold screw druvers in place while the other person pries the other two. Also i found that hair spray (aqua net) works great as a bead sealant. As for setting the bead. I won't say how to do it on here nut you can YouTube Red tire bead seal.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Ditto what quilateen said. Summit racing has the best price and they ship the tires with air pillows inside them so they're not smooshed. On a previous snowblower I used Kenda Polar Tracs from Northern Tool. Price was right, but they came smooshed with no packaging.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Just use tubes and then you don't have to worry about leaks or sealing beads.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-05-2014, 08:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I got them on mine. band new ones. They work great on any surface I've been on. Don't know the exact size off hand though. I thought I would have to put a chain or two on but not even close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page