LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tru-Fuel vs. E0 gas

So I would like to hear any opinions on what might be the best way to go as far as fuel goes for my first time owner of a snowblower.

My friend tells me to go out and buy a case (6 cans) of Tru-Fuel at $36.00.
Since the gas tank only holds one gallon, that would cost me $24.00 per tank full.
I found a service station about an hour from where I live that sells "ethanol FREE" 89 octane gasoline. I could fill a 5 gallon container for about $17.50 and then add some sort of stabilizer. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 04:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
I would use regular gas with a lil marine stabil. Then drain at the end of the season. If you want, then run ethanol free gas thru it for a little while then drain again.
post #3 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Received): 6
TruFuel is a waste of money. If you you add Stabil or a similar product to you regular ethanol gas you will have the same thing for for $3.00 a gallon. I buy gas about 3.5 to 4 gallons at a time at the BP station and use 1 ounce of Stabil, 1 ounce of Sea Foam and 1 ounce of Marvel mystery oil to the 4 gallons. I don't get anal about the precise amount but stay close to that ratio. Been doing this since we got ethanol gas here in WI in 1982. I have as of yet to have a fuel related small engine problem and there are about 25 small engines around my house. Briggs, Tecumsehs, Kohlers, Lawn Boys, Kawasakis and several different Chinese clone engines. Roger
post #4 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 21
I have a station also about 1/2 hour away that sells ethanol free 91 Octane Gas. I took down a 5 gallon can and added the Briggs & Straton stabilizer just as an extra preventative measure.

I started using this ethanol free in my leaf blower this summer as well (mixed with oil of course). I noticed it starts a lot easier and seems not to leave that oil/gas smell as much on your clothes. I used it in my my Honda mower as well and had good luck.

I just bought another 5 gallons in October for this winter for the snowblower. It is a little of hassle to drive a half hour for gas but my dealer tells me the gas should be good for at least a year without any stabil. Knock on wood no issues so far.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 303
Don't know where you live, but any marinas closer than an hour? They usually sell "recreation" gas. Also if you have any equipment rental places closer, ask them. We have a local one and they get ethanol free delivered and sell it. I'm lucky as my parents live on a lake and their neighbor owns the local mini mart gas station. He is an avid water skiing fan and put a "rec" gas pump in during a remodel 2 years ago. Nearly the entire lake gets their boating, snowmobile and lawn tractor gas there now. Guy has a gold mine.
post #6 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 585
Thanks (Received): 761
Likes (Given): 4315
Likes (Received): 1715
Garage
I would buy the oxygenated/E10/ethanol added fuel that was close by and add a little stabilizer (Stabil Marine) before I started spending $23 a gallon for canned gas. If there was a station not too far away I'd make the drive for it but not over 30 minutes away.

Folks, please add a location to your profile so we have a better grip on what might be a good suggestion based on your location or in some cases even different country. Thanks

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 12-06-2014 at 09:17 AM.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-05-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
Guys, I live in surburban Philadelphia, PA.
Isn't the "Ethanol-Free" gasoline better than gas with ethanol added?
Not sure why some of you say use ethanol laced gas when I can buy E0.
post #8 of 23 Old 12-06-2014, 12:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Detail, definitively buy Ethanol free gas if you have Gas Bars offering it and even if it is 88 or 89 octane then the better it is.

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #9 of 23 Old 12-06-2014, 04:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Ethanol free gas is the way to go. no additives or stabilizers needed. I run it in all my equipment and vehicles.
post #10 of 23 Old 12-06-2014, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 585
Thanks (Received): 761
Likes (Given): 4315
Likes (Received): 1715
Garage
For a small engine ethanol free is the way to go as it's less likely to break down and cause carburetor problems.
BUT if that ethanol free gas is $24 dollars a gallon then in my opinion it's not worth it and I'd just get the regular fuel (E10) at the corner gas station and use some stabil in it.

I can get non-oxygenated fuel (E0) at the local gas station and I still add a little stabil to it just for cheap insurance in case I forget to drain something and leave fuel in it during it's "off" season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stabil marine.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	29473  

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page