post #1 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Threw a Rod in my Ariens Sno-Thro 6/24

Hello Folks,
I threw a rod in my Ariens Sno-Thro 6 hp Snow Blower (ran out of oil). Here's what it looks like.. Notice how flimsy the rod is. I had a new rod installed but my engine is burning oil. Going to need new rings. I smell like a oil field. I'am wondering what new engine may I use as a replacement? Or, is my 6 hp worth rebuilding? Can a 8 or 10 hp Tecumseh motor be installed in my snow blower?
All replies will be greatly appreciated.
Richard

Last edited by Snow Job; 12-07-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 11
What a bummer. I know you said you ran out of oil. Were you using natural or synthetic oil?

If you are having someone else do the labor, maybe cheaper to replace the engine. What engine depends on your needs. Some will take the opportunity to go bigger. Some will choose a cloned engine manufactured oversees. Some will just swap out for the same motor.

I personally would stay away from the rebuild. Rings should have been changed when the new rod was put in, they had the thing apart. Do some research on rebuild kits and costs. Get at least 2 estimates from shops. Let us know what you decide.
post #3 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
it would be cheapest to throw a predator 212cc on and bore the main jet a bit. i honestly see no good reason to rebuild a tecumseh flathead anyways. they were hard to start, the carbs sucked, and they loved to throw rods and make unwanted holes in the engine block. a rebuild kit will run about 50 and labor will run about 100, and it may still not run right if the damage dont to the block from the rod blowing up was severe enough
post #4 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 02:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Been there myself, bummer. As Koenig said, rings should have been changed when the piston was out. There is also a shaft seal in the intake valve which goes bad which should have been replaced. This may have been your original and continuing problem. These repairs are easy to do yourself, and can be fun if you are so inclined. Check out the videos on youtube by Donyboy 73, which I found through this forum.

Since you have to pull the motor off either way, crack it open and check it out. These guys on here will guide you every step of the way. If you get to a point where a rebuild is not justifiable then order a new engine. Good Luck.

1991 MTD 3/21 SS
1966 Ariens 10M6D
2015 Ariens Platinum 24 SHO
post #5 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 379
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1377
SLAP a new old stock BRIGGS on it. and call it a day well done.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenig041 View Post
What a bummer. I know you said you ran out of oil. Were you using natural or synthetic oil?

If you are having someone else do the labor, maybe cheaper to replace the engine. What engine depends on your needs. Some will take the opportunity to go bigger. Some will choose a cloned engine manufactured oversees. Some will just swap out for the same motor.

I personally would stay away from the rebuild. Rings should have been changed when the new rod was put in, they had the thing apart. Do some research on rebuild kits and costs. Get at least 2 estimates from shops. Let us know what you decide.
My buddy changed the rod. He also cleaned out the jets. He told me that there was excess oil going into the carb. Oil used was regular 5/20 oil. I think the old girl needs a new engine and carburetor. The Ariens is so well built, that it would be economical just to install a new motor and a rebuilt or new carb. We get an average of about 1 foot of snow every season, of course drifts are bigger.
One issue I found is that since I am 6 feet tall, my back hurts from bending over the snow blower when cleaning snow. Maybe in the future, I may buy a taller snow blower.
post #7 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
it would be cheapest to throw a predator 212cc on and bore the main jet a bit. i honestly see no good reason to rebuild a tecumseh flathead anyways. they were hard to start, the carbs sucked, and they loved to throw rods and make unwanted holes in the engine block. a rebuild kit will run about 50 and labor will run about 100, and it may still not run right if the damage dont to the block from the rod blowing up was severe enough
no, it wouldn't....he can get a complete Tecumseh 7Hp-8hp engine for under $100 on Ebay and simply bolt it on ?

or 5hp

or, 10HP ??

many, many more to choose from...all made in USA

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines

Last edited by greatwhitebuffalo; 12-07-2014 at 07:28 PM.
post #8 of 46 Old 12-07-2014, 07:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Received): 16
Before I'd do anything I would put in some 30 weight or maybe some high mileage oil and see if that helps the consumption
post #9 of 46 Old 12-08-2014, 02:07 AM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
When your buddy changed the rod did he also clean to rod journal on the crankshaft? When the engine is run with no oil the rod slowly melts and then starts to drop melted aluminum on the crank. As the aluminum builds up it welds the crank and rod together which is what causes them to snap. If he didn't get all the old aluminum off it is just going to do it again.

If the old 6 HP engine is a single shaft engine I would also just grab one of the $100 Harbor Freight 212cc engines and stick it on there.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 46 Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 53
Likes (Received): 100
Small engine warehouse has 7 hp tecumsehs for like 200 bucks. Web site say they have 83 in stock

Scott
69 ariens
toro 721r
toro 926 hd oxe
78 powerking 1614/48'' haban snowblower
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page