Help Me Decide....New Ariens Deluxe 28 or repair - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help Me Decide....New Ariens Deluxe 28 or repair

Hi...I ran across this forum while researching a new Deluxe 28. I've been using a 60's Ariens Sno-Thro since Dad bought it new. I blew the motor in this last storm...heavy wet snow. I believe the connecting rod broke, and am currently trying to decide whether I want to repair it (myself) or buy a new beast.

I'm almost sold on the new Ariens Deluxe 28, but have a few concerns. The major one is the AutoTurn. Of course, I'm set in my ways and *one* with my old blower, so I'm suspicious of anything new.....but I like the AT....in theory. The concern is that my driveway is uneven gravel and frozen tire ruts are the norm. With all the talk of unadjusted skids and body misalignment causing problems, I have to wonder if I'll be constantly fighting this machine? I'd love to hear from anybody who uses the AT specifically under uneven conditions.

The other minor design issue is the brace that holds the auger in the mouth of the blower. It looks like it would collect snow.

I'll probably be tearing down the old Tecumseh anyway, just to see what I can do....but I could be easily persuaded to invest in a bigger "orange".

Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 03:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Myself, I am a plumber... I fix stuff. I do not like new things made cheaper or overseas. I myself, would fix your old machine, and I'd be looking for another US made engine. New or NOS or whatever...
post #3 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 03:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 225
Thanks (Received): 295
Likes (Given): 1882
Likes (Received): 663
hello tommy, welcome to SBF!! if you buy the deluxe 28 it would give you more time to fix up the old sno-thro the right way and at a more leasurly pace

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
post #4 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 94
Hay Tommy. Welcome to the forum.

I hate to say it, but I think the Auto Turn will frustrate you with your driveway as you described it. It will jump and move around on you, even with the scraper bar jacked way up.

As far as the front brace collecting snow, I have not had that problem. And if I did, so be it. Before I put my blower away after each use, I take a small straw broom and clean it off. If there was snow hung up in there, I would just clear it out, then I tun the augers for a minute or two.

Maybe look for the deluxe 28 with the trigger. My last Ariens had that, and was pretty nice, but then again I have a glass smooth black top drive.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 30 #921032 w/Armor skids, LED's, Hand warmers.
2015 Ariens Path Pro SS-21 # 938033
2010 Toro 1800 Power curve (electric, for the deck)
2009 Toro Power Shovel (electric, for deck steps)
post #5 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 04:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 59
Garage
I say fix the old one and buy the new one too.
New is nice, but heck, over 50 years old, isn't it like part of the family by now?

Fixing the original engine would be nice to keep it original, but you could also re-power it with a replacement engine.

Buy the new one but fix the old one.

I hate shoveling SNOW!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craftsman #536886141(Around 2000?)
5 Horse, Tecumseh HSSK50-67392S
22" Dual Stage
"Classic" 1963 S-226 Snowbird
4 Horse (orig) Briggs & Stratton#6305201
22" Dual Stage
post #6 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 04:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommymc View Post
Hi...I ran across this forum while researching a new Deluxe 28. I've been using a 60's Ariens Sno-Thro since Dad bought it new. I blew the motor in this last storm...heavy wet snow. I believe the connecting rod broke, and am currently trying to decide whether I want to repair it (myself) or buy a new beast.

I'm almost sold on the new Ariens Deluxe 28, but have a few concerns. The major one is the AutoTurn. Of course, I'm set in my ways and *one* with my old blower, so I'm suspicious of anything new.....but I like the AT....in theory. The concern is that my driveway is uneven gravel and frozen tire ruts are the norm. With all the talk of unadjusted skids and body misalignment causing problems, I have to wonder if I'll be constantly fighting this machine? I'd love to hear from anybody who uses the AT specifically under uneven conditions.

The other minor design issue is the brace that holds the auger in the mouth of the blower. It looks like it would collect snow.

I'll probably be tearing down the old Tecumseh anyway, just to see what I can do....but I could be easily persuaded to invest in a bigger "orange".

Any advice is appreciated.
do both...if you can afford a new machine, have at it. but don't trash the old one. a connecting rod is very cheap, bolt a new one in the old machine, keep it for posterity.

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #7 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 04:51 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1379
there are new old stock tecumsaparts in warehouse's here in the states. or better yet slap a shiny new BRIGGS on it and call it a day well done. ALOHA from the frozen tundra.: cool:

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
buy a predator from harbor freight and just repower it
post #9 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Retired Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
buy a predator from harbor freight and just repower it
+1 You didn't specify what engine is on the old one, but the new Predator is probably almost the same dimensions. Should be able to use your old pulley and the only change needed would be knock out the old mounting studs to put longer bolts in and maybe move the crank rod slightly.

The 212cc engines can be had for $80 - $120 depending on sales and coupons. They are rated as 6.5 - 7 HP and people are using them to replace anything from 3.5 HP to 8 HP engines.

You can always keep the original engine and rebuild it in the summer time.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #10 of 25 Old 12-13-2014, 08:07 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 12
Welcome from the Garden State. I'm old school myself

Toro Snow Commander
Toro Powerlite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page