Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Need direction with my 5hp Tecumseh

This is off an older Craftsman 5-23 Track Drive Snowblower

Model number off of the pull cover shroud is 14(3or8) 794 053 SER 8263B

I cant find a lot of info on the web about this one. Its an odd ball engine I guess because of the additional pulley off of the cam. Hoping you guys can point me into the right direction. I found the Technical Handbook for 3-11hp for a ton of different models but I will need to order parts so I want to know as much as I can up front.

Thanks in advanced!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	31849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4396.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	31857  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-18-2014, 08:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 146
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 345
5 hp

What's the question or problem? That's a fairly common engine in it's time. The 2d shaft was a counter rotation shaft used for the drive. Good little engine. About the only problem with them is if they die, it's hard to find another twin shaft replacement engine without going used or NOS.

Most motor shops can convert Sears model numbers to the original Tecumseh numbers. I have to say, I've bought alot of carb kits and misc parts just referencing it's a 5 hp Tecumseh and didn't have a problem. Biggest differences typically relate to the carb and throttle between the various twin shaft 5 hp's I've had.

I've brought several of those back to life after having sat for years in some cases.

Last edited by HCBPH; 12-18-2014 at 08:46 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-18-2014, 09:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 275
Thanks (Received): 330
Likes (Given): 3332
Likes (Received): 679
Hello PZL. From page Xiii of the cross reference section in the Tecumseh 3-11 hp service manual - your Sears engine number 143.794053 I a Tecumseh motor number HS50-67291H. Serial number (8)263B is probably 1988 or 1998.Parts tree and other sites have this engine listed and parts are available. I hope this helps.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/te...S50-67291H.pdf

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro (51984) Hand Held Blower (For the light stuff)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-18-2014, 10:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 7
Likes (Received): 4
Your the only one that knows......did that 5.5 HP serve your total purpose.....I lived with one for many years....it ran great...after replacing the carb once. I would as I have in other post, recommend more power. Look at a 8 HP. May be time for a new machine.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-18-2014, 10:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
5 hp

That looks like the engine on my tracked craftsmen.Need direction with my 5hp Tecumseh-20141214_134400.jpg

Need direction with my 5hp Tecumseh-20141218_223817.jpg

Need direction with my 5hp Tecumseh-20141218_223905.jpg
post #6 of 15 Old 12-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Post Thanks / Like
motors

There wasn't a large difference between the various years of the Tecumseh 5hp
Here's one that's probably 15-20 years older than yours yet the majority of parts will interchange.

It's a good solid motor with parts available.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
yah thanks guys, nothing is wrong with the engine just wanted to be ready incase something needed replacing. I was having trouble identifying my engine with the cross reference and wanted a decent idea on sourcing parts.

I pulled the head off and cleaned up some carbon around the piston and valves. Poked around and cleaned it up some more. The cylinder still has factory honing cross marks. I was impressed! Then I panted a few pieces here and there with a high temp rattle can. Runs better with a simple carbon clean up!

My muffler kind of stands out like a soar thumb now, do the newer ones hold up better to rust?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	32545   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4536.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	32553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4517.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	32561  

Last edited by PZL523; 12-22-2014 at 10:12 AM.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Engine

Looks pretty good to me. You can add an electric starter if you want without any problems. It should Take a 3 bolt one, but people want a mint for them around here.

If you want to clean up the piston and valves, here's my tip. First find yourself a true brass rotary brush you can chuck in a drill. Get yourself a aerosol can of brake cleaner. Pull the head and rotate the piston to the top of the bore. Spray on the brake cleaner and let it set a little then first use a plastic scraper and clean off what you can. Then spray again and use the drill/wire brush and you'll have a squeeky clean piston. Rotate it so one value is open then do it the same way, including around the valve seat and bottom of the valve. Rotate the crank so the other is open and do that one. Do the underside of the head.
Once it's done, use brake cleaner and clean up everything squeeky clean with a rag. When done, I like to spray down the cylinder walls and top of the piston with a little WD40 prior to reassembling. Put it back together and try it out.
Only thing to watch is brake cleaner will do a job on paint and some plastic if you get it where you don't want it.

Here's a 10 hp I did it on, the first shot is after doing the plastic scraper

Then after doing the brass wire brush

It was squeeky clean and ran like a champ after I got through going through that engine.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-22-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCBPH View Post
Looks pretty good to me. You can add an electric starter if you want without any problems. It should Take a 3 bolt one, but people want a mint for them around here.

If you want to clean up the piston and valves, here's my tip. First find yourself a true brass rotary brush you can chuck in a drill. Get yourself a aerosol can of brake cleaner. Pull the head and rotate the piston to the top of the bore. Spray on the brake cleaner and let it set a little then first use a plastic scraper and clean off what you can. Then spray again and use the drill/wire brush and you'll have a squeeky clean piston. Rotate it so one value is open then do it the same way, including around the valve seat and bottom of the valve. Rotate the crank so the other is open and do that one. Do the underside of the head.
Once it's done, use brake cleaner and clean up everything squeeky clean with a rag. When done, I like to spray down the cylinder walls and top of the piston with a little WD40 prior to reassembling. Put it back together and try it out.
Only thing to watch is brake cleaner will do a job on paint and some plastic if you get it where you don't want it.

Here's a 10 hp I did it on, the first shot is after doing the plastic scraper

Then after doing the brass wire brush

It was squeeky clean and ran like a champ after I got through going through that engine.
Yup, I used some old brake cleaner and a wire brush too. Wish I took some after shots but oh well.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PZL523 View Post
This is off an older Craftsman 5-23 Track Drive Snowblower

Model number off of the pull cover shroud is 14(3or8) 794 053 SER 8263B

I cant find a lot of info on the web about this one. Its an odd ball engine I guess because of the additional pulley off of the cam. Hoping you guys can point me into the right direction. I found the Technical Handbook for 3-11hp for a ton of different models but I will need to order parts so I want to know as much as I can up front.

Thanks in advanced!
This is my motor.Need direction with my 5hp Tecumseh-img_20141221_152457.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page